BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
It sounds funny to say this, but you'd save money if you went with the Porsche 997 . I think the M6 is expected to be in the $90K to $95K range and with options may top $100K. However, I think the M6 could actually be more bang for the buck considering it will have CLOSE to Porsche Turbo/Ferrari 360 power, a V10, and a little more room and will still handle fairly well. If you want a GT car, get the M6, if you want a sports coupe get the Porsche.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
mumbasic said:
Hello,

just planning my next car. What do you think about M6 vs. 997 S?

Greetings

AM
The M6 should really be compared to the turbo, not the S. The M6 will have equivalent or superior performance to the existing turbo, and will probably be very close to the new turbo. The M6 has more room, and more amenities than the turbo, and will probably have a better ride.

I agree with a previous post, if you want more of a pure sports car, get the 997 S and save some money. If you want arguably the best GT in the world, get the M6.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wolverine said:
The M6 should really be compared to the turbo, not the S. The M6 will have equivalent or superior performance to the existing turbo, and will probably be very close to the new turbo. The M6 has more room, and more amenities than the turbo, and will probably have a better ride.

I agree with a previous post, if you want more of a pure sports car, get the 997 S and save some money. If you want arguably the best GT in the world, get the M6.
I don´t beleive that the M6 will have better performance values then the 997 S. Look at the Hockenheimring times, there is a large gap between 997 S and M5. The straight performance will be better of a M6. But if you take race circuit times the 997 S will be much more faster then a M6.

But you are right M6 is more GT and 997 is more sports car.

Thanks

AM

·
Registered
19 Posts
If its gonna be every day ride, then I would probably go for M6.
If its gonna be every weekend ride, then I would probably go for 997.
But honestly, 997 is the legendary 911, which is one the most respected cars.....
Porsche is prettier, performance should be very similar, Porsche should be better, but not very practical for every day use.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
elbimmer said:
If its gonna be every day ride, then I would probably go for M6.
If its gonna be every weekend ride, then I would probably go for 997.
But honestly, 997 is the legendary 911, which is one the most respected cars.....
Porsche is prettier, performance should be very similar, Porsche should be better, but not very practical for every day use.
that is my dilema, so many pros for 911 and so many pros for M6 :crying2:

·
Registered
457 Posts
mumbasic said:
I don´t beleive that the M6 will have better performance values then the 997 S. Look at the Hockenheimring times, there is a large gap between 997 S and M5. The straight performance will be better of a M6. But if you take race circuit times the 997 S will be much more faster then a M6.
I don't think the 997 S is superior on the track. POWERCAR made a direct comparison (same day, same surface conditions) between M5 and Carrera S on the complete Grand-Prix course of the Nürburgring (not only the Nordschleife) and the M5 (1:51,220 min.) was just 1,626 s slower than the Carrera S (1:49,594 min.). If the rumours are true that the M6 is 7 s faster than the M5 on the Nordschleife, the M6 should be superior to the Carrera S on most tracks especially the Autobahn where the 997 S doesn't stand a chance at all; the 997 S is only faster on very twisty mountain roads. Nevertheless, I must admit that I prefer the Porsche 997 because of emotional reasons, but the pathetic 130 l trunk prevents me from buying one.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
mumbasic said:

But you are right M6 is more GT and 997 is more sports car.

Thanks

AM
These are the times I've seen. This compares with 8:13 time for the M5, and a quicker (should be by 8 seconds according to BMW) time for the M6. I know it's difficult to compare times, but I think the M6 will be every bit as fast as the 997 S if not faster.

8:15 --- 149.818 kph -- Porsche 997 Carrera 2 (Walter Röhrl - WHEELS June 2004)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
You should seriously consider the new Aston Martin V8 as well.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
mumbasic said:

AM
Did you know that M5 E60 is only 0.3 seconds faster than a 645Ci around Hockenheim.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just_me said:
Did you know that M5 E60 is only 0.3 seconds faster than a 645Ci around Hockenheim.
Yes, but in Hockenheim you don´t need so much power. As I have heard that the Sport Auto did drove the 997 S in under 1.14, which is better then 996 turbo! In Hockenheim every kilogramm counts and the better the breaks are the better you can drive. So Porsche will dominate Hockenheimring.

AM

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ashok Arora said:
You should seriously consider the new Aston Martin V8 as well.
Here in Germany, we don´t have enough dealers. I am in the IT business and I can´t drive cars like Aston Martin or Ferrari :crying: :crying: :crying: . The people here are very jealous and they don´t grudge you such a beautifull car.

Also I have two boys, they fit in a 997 or BMW 6-series at the back seats, the new AM V8 has only two seats :crying2:

AM

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
mumbasic said:
Here in Germany, we don´t have enough dealers. I am in the IT business and I can´t drive cars like Aston Martin or Ferrari :crying: :crying: :crying: . The people here are very jealous and they don´t grudge you such a beautifull car.

Also I have two boys, they fit in a 997 or BMW 6-series at the back seats, the new AM V8 has only two seats :crying2:

AM
They won't fit for long! I was on the M5 list partly because I was always transporting my son and his friends places. Now my son has his license, and I've realized I don't need the 4 seats - so M6 it is!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
mumbasic said:
Yes, but in Hockenheim you don´t need so much power. As I have heard that the Sport Auto did drove the 997 S in under 1.14, which is better then 996 turbo! In Hockenheim every kilogramm counts and the better the breaks are the better you can drive. So Porsche will dominate Hockenheimring.

AM
Sorry but 997S laptime around Hockenheim is 1.15.6 min and 911 Turbo in 1.14,6 min according too Sportauto. I can't find any numbers showing less then 1.14 min for 997S.
M6 havent even been tested yet, the car might surprise us ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just_me said:
Sorry but 997S laptime around Hockenheim is 1.15.6 min and 911 Turbo in 1.14,6 min according too Sportauto. I can't find any numbers showing less then 1.14 min for 997S.
M6 havent even been tested yet, the car might surprise us ;)
1.15.6 min is the last time they have measured, but Sport Auto wrote in this article, that the environment values where not so good. They suppose in ideal environment (weather condtions) that 1.14 should be beaten. Inofficialy I have heard that Sport Auto has reached 1.14 min and this will be presented with their new Supertest of the 997 S. They didn´t test the 997 S on the Nürburgring, so that´s the reason why the promised Supertest wasn´t published.

AM

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
mumbasic said:

AM
There's no way I'd put my kids in the back seat of a 911. :nono: Those things are, and have always been, a joke. They serve no purpose whatsoever.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gop-Dogg said:
There's no way I'd put my kids in the back seat of a 911. :nono: Those things are, and have always been, a joke. They serve no purpose whatsoever.
I did have two 996 and in both my boys fitted "well". Now they are 8 and 12 and they "still" fit but not so comfortable.

AM

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.