BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have some time to kill I'd like to share my HPDE experience with M6. Event was held on 8/10 at Autobahn Country Club. We had full 3.56mi track open. This was last run of the day and I had instructor in my car to give some valuable advice.

SOUND ALERT! Due to requirement to have windows down there's lots of wind noise but fun level is much higher! :devil

Car has:
H&R Sport Springs
Spacers
BMC Air Filter
RPI Scoops/Plates
RPI Pulley
Michelin Super Sports

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing your video.

How do your front tires look -- lots of understeer, huh?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not much wear, just little bit on front sides after 1,5hr total track time. I think I kept air pressure "stock" - 33F 36R or was it 30/33... Anyways next time I'll definitely add more air to fronts. But man Michelin PSSs are amazing! Most of the time it's not understeer (I hope :hihi:), it's pushing the Gs to the limit :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
That track surface looks pretty beaten up. My first ever track experience was at Autobahn for a Mercedes AMG event summer 2005. It looks like they haven't done a thing since then except put some patches in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's actually smoother than it looks. I had no real issues with pavement. Few spots do lift you bum off the seat but overall not bad. I'd give it 7-8 out of 10.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Not much wear, just little bit on front sides after 1,5hr total track time. I think I kept air pressure "stock" - 33F 36R or was it 30/33... Anyways next time I'll definitely add more air to fronts. But man Michelin PSSs are amazing! Most of the time it's not understeer (I hope :hihi:), it's pushing the Gs to the limit :D
Yup...what you're referencing is the tell tale sign of understeer -- nothing wrong with it.

With a neutral set up car, you will not see any wear on the front sidewalls.

My front tires after a weekend at the track. Notice the even wear, right up to the sidewall.

The PSSs are a wonderful street tire that's AMAZING at the track. Have fun experimenting with the tire pressures at the track -- use that mobility kit in the trunk. Remember to check them cold and hot. Tire pressures make a huge difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My front tires after a weekend at the track. Notice the even wear, right up to the sidewall.
Here's pic of my fronts. Sorry for poor quality - taken with phone at night with flash. The noticeable wear after tracking is that single line on the edge. Definitely will adjust air pressures in the future.

IMG_20150831_224339_206.jpg

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks like your rotors/pads could use some TLC. The holes looked clogged with dirt! Also, the pads don't seem to be sweeping a uniform clean path on them--streaking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right after tracking brake pad warning came on it's time to replace them. I'll clean all that brake dust during replacement, didnt have much time

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
You guys are increasing tire pressure to get more grip?
Depends on your starting pressure. Generally, no. At the track, I'm taking air out and running lower pressure than I would on the street.

Too much pressure, you will get no grip and your wheels turn into stones. An extreme example, from the off-road world, would be to air down your tires, to increase the tire's contact patch for ultimate grip for rock crawling.

At the track, I don't like my hot tire pressures much over 35psi -- which means my cold pressures might start at 25psi.

Your tires will tell the tale. Too little pressure, you will be on your sidewalls, like post 7.

If you get it right, your tires will look like mine, in post 6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts