BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hoping someone can help a newbie with a problem.

I got my 2008 M6 back in February and I love it! After a while the navigation unit had problem reading the DVD, so I decided to replace the laser in it, only to not be able to find just the laser. So I decided to replace the entire navigation DVD unit (a little over $100).

The biggest issue I encountered was simply how to disconnect the electrical connectors from everything! It was not intuitive, at least to me. And YouTube videos showed people disconnecting them so quickly that I wasn't able to see exactly how it was performed.

Once I got DVD unit out itself things became much more clearer. The replacement DVD unit was newer (IIRC, M5 vs. M3.5) but had all the same connectors. Unfortunately, unbelievably, I broke the ribbon cable connector off of the new drive trying to insert the ribbon cable into it--that particular connector was different and I obviously had a hard time figuring it out.

So I ordered a second navigation DVD replacment. This second unit was a refurbished M3.5 so I had no problem with the ribbon cable this time. I tested the unit before putting everything back and it worked fine; I was happy and pretty proud of myself.

I did make a huge mistake, however. I did not disconnect the power from the battery. When I was buttoning everything back up, I got a pretty good spark/arch from the DVD tray when making metal contact with the rest of the navigation assembly.

I also noted that the ribbon cable connecting the radio cover to the navigation assembly was a bit chewed up.

Bottom line is that everything is back in place now but I have absolutely no functionality from the navigation or even the iDrive itself! No PDC beeps when parking, no radio, no navigation, nothing--black screen that stays black without even a flicker of light upon starting. And no sound, either.

I'm not sure if it was the spark that fried something or the ribbon cable mentioned above that looks a bit abused. Or perhaps it was a combination of these, I don't really know.

I was hoping it was just a blown fuse, so I check all the fuses in the trunk and the glove compartment. There was a single 20AMP blown fuse in the trunk, which I replaced, but that didn't bring any love.

What do you guys recommend at this point? Taking it to the stealer? Replace the video screen with a used one on eBay? Troubleshoot one or more modules? I really have no idea on the best way to proceed at this point.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi,

Hoping someone can help a newbie with a problem.

I got my 2008 M6 back in February and I love it! After a while the navigation unit had problem reading the DVD, so I decided to replace the laser in it, only to not be able to find just the laser. So I decided to replace the entire navigation DVD unit (a little over $100).

The biggest issue I encountered was simply how to disconnect the electrical connectors from everything! It was not intuitive, at least to me. And YouTube videos showed people disconnecting them so quickly that I wasn't able to see exactly how it was performed.

Once I got DVD unit out itself things became much more clearer. The replacement DVD unit was newer (IIRC, M5 vs. M3.5) but had all the same connectors. Unfortunately, unbelievably, I broke the ribbon cable connector off of the new drive trying to insert the ribbon cable into it--that particular connector was different and I obviously had a hard time figuring it out.

So I ordered a second navigation DVD replacment. This second unit was a refurbished M3.5 so I had no problem with the ribbon cable this time. I tested the unit before putting everything back and it worked fine; I was happy and pretty proud of myself.

I did make a huge mistake, however. I did not disconnect the power from the battery. When I was buttoning everything back up, I got a pretty good spark/arch from the DVD tray when making metal contact with the rest of the navigation assembly.

I also noted that the ribbon cable connecting the radio cover to the navigation assembly was a bit chewed up.

Bottom line is that everything is back in place now but I have absolutely no functionality from the navigation or even the iDrive itself! No PDC beeps when parking, no radio, no navigation, nothing--black screen that stays black without even a flicker of light upon starting. And no sound, either.

I'm not sure if it was the spark that fried something or the ribbon cable mentioned above that looks a bit abused. Or perhaps it was a combination of these, I don't really know.

I was hoping it was just a blown fuse, so I check all the fuses in the trunk and the glove compartment. There was a single 20AMP blown fuse in the trunk, which I replaced, but that didn't bring any love.

What do you guys recommend at this point? Taking it to the stealer? Replace the video screen with a used one on eBay? Troubleshoot one or more modules? I really have no idea on the best way to proceed at this point.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean.
Sean,

These are not plug and play units. The car and often the CCC (your type of radio/ nav/computer/iDrive) need to be coded (Programed) to the car.

It sound like you are in pretty deep. I would recommend you contact one of the companies that do this work rather than trying to sort it out yourself. BPMsport is in LA and a good choice. http://www.bpmsport.com/BPMCoding.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Roseng,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear, but I didn't replace or add any modules, just the DVD drive unit itself. And I think that portion of it is plug-n-play, because, as I mentioned, before I buttoned everything back up (and before the arching), I powered everything up and my new DVD drive read my navigation DVD as it should have. So I'm thinking that replacing just the DVD drive unit--no modules--is plug-n-play. At least that's what I observed.

Now, I'm not ruling out that the spark/arching fried a module, or perhaps somehow reset it, I suppose that could have happened. I guess I can give BPM a call in the morning and see what they say.

I know there are lots of expensive options available. Bimmernav has a CIC upgrade for my E63 complete with carbon fibre trim pieces for a mere $3k. But I'm trying to save my money for a supercharger :).

Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Wolfjurgen,

You might have missed that I did check fuses. And even replaced a blown 20AMP in the trunk. But that did not fix the problem.

[Although it does bring up an interesting question of *where* the fuses are labeled, if at all. I see some other BMW models have had enthusiasts document what each fuse does--is there something like that for the E63 M6?]

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Roseng,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear, but I didn't replace or add any modules, just the DVD drive unit itself. And I think that portion of it is plug-n-play, because, as I mentioned, before I buttoned everything back up (and before the arching), I powered everything up and my new DVD drive read my navigation DVD as it should have. So I'm thinking that replacing just the DVD drive unit--no modules--is plug-n-play. At least that's what I observed.

Now, I'm not ruling out that the spark/arching fried a module, or perhaps somehow reset it, I suppose that could have happened. I guess I can give BPM a call in the morning and see what they say.

I know there are lots of expensive options available. Bimmernav has a CIC upgrade for my E63 complete with carbon fibre trim pieces for a mere $3k. But I'm trying to save my money for a supercharger :).

Thanks!

Sean
So you disassembled the CCC unit and only changed the drive portion, or you replaced the entire CCC? There are 2 drives, on for CDs and one DVD drive for the NAV. Did you replace both?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, I only replaced the DVD drive portion--the DVD navigation drive portion. The music DVD and everything else was not touched...

Sean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts