BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for an M6 and I'm looking to find out if there are any model year changes (interior, exterior or engine) between the years 2006 (first year of production for this model I think) and 2010. I did a search in the forum and couldn't find any about this topic for the M6 but found a few threads for M5 model year changes. I would appreciate if anyone can share this knowledge with me. From my search looking at the photos (interior and exterior), there is not really any differences at all for instance.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, I forgot to note that one change that I could see in the interior was the idrive which looks more complicated with more buttons around the idrive wheel for 2009 M6 vs the earlier models. I'm sure the idrive has been improved but not sure if there are additional features to it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Can't speak for the new idrive as mine still has the older one. But as for changes, engine, etc... all remained the same -- in 2008 M6 underwent a minor face-lift (LED lights and signals) and in 2009 M6 received the new idrive. From my knowledge, that's about it.

Either way I recommend you find yourself a 2008+ M6 as I believe there were some recalls on certain '06-'07 ones in the past - come '08 they had pretty much ironed out most glitches. Goodluck with your decision and whatever you decide, just remember that the V10 M6 is now a collectors item. :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
2008 did receive a nice facelift, it included the following.

-LED Front turn signals
-LED Tail lights
-3rd brake light mounted inside in trunk (as opposed to in the rear window on 06 + 07 models)
-headlights dont have any orange in them, the orange reflector for north american models was moved to the front bumper (which can be removed much simpler then in the 06 + 07, where the orange was actually in the headlight housing)

As for iDrive...its interested because the entire BMW line up (except the 5 and the 6) got the new iDrive system in 2009. However, the 5, 6, M5, M6 only got the new iDrive Controller in 2009. It wasn't until 2010 that the 5,6, M5 and M6 received the actual new iDrive system. However, if you like the look of the newer iDrive controller (the one with all the buttons around it), you can go for an 09. But if you want the actual new system, you need to go for a 2010 (unless you want to do a full conversion, which would not be cheap).

I (along with many others) strongly encourage that you go for at least a 2008. To me, personally, it looks a lot newer then 06 + 07. (keep in mind the 06+07 might be the oldest M6, but it has the same looks as the 04 6 series, which is significantly older.

Reactions: bishopdablack

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
+1 2008 or newer.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
What SlammedM6 said...

The 2010 model year cars came out in the Spring of 2009 and production ended in August of 2010, so they were a "long" production year (but not that many cars produced) while 2009 was a short production year. Meaning that there are not that many 2009 cars compared to say, 2007 or 2008.

I'd go for an LCI car (2008 - 2010). And to get the latest goodies in the iDrive/Nav, go for a 2010. But each newer year costs more of course. There were a lot of 2007 cars produced so there are lots of them out there but also keep in mind that they will be coming out of warranty.

The M5 and M6 were both available in limited numbers (in Europe) in 2005, but the U.S. cars arrived in 2006 with 2007 and 2008 being the years with the most cars made. I'm not sure when the started showing up in Thailand.

The LCI minor face lifts and iDrive/Nav changes aside, all model years share the same engine, transmissions, suspension, interior, and on and on. The exterior colors offered varied a little from year to year as did the interior choices (I seem to recall that Portland Brown leather came later), but the most popular colors and leathers were available throughout the production life of the E63/E64 M6.

Good hunting...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your reply. This has been really helpful and it looks like I should look for an 2008 or 2009 car then from your suggestions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
2009 to 2010

The 2010 has the brand new Nav and iDrive system. The 2009 has the new iDrive controller but same low res screen and menu/navigation as the older models. The 2010 system resembles that of the new 7 series, new 5 series, and update 2011 X5 and X6s. Only the 2010 model has the new hard drive based system that also allows for copying of USB drive files to the HD as well as satellite music rewind to name a few things.

Noushy

·
Registered
441 Posts
Get an '08 on. I don't see it mentioned but the '08 cars also have an updated iDrive system that includes the direct access preset buttons below the CD slot and a better menu system. I personally prefer this to the '09 on iDrive system with the extra buttons around the knob as it is easier for me to use on the fly but that is just personal preference.

Reactions: Gustav
1 - 10 of 10 Posts