BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently number 1 on the M6 waiting list and number 2 on the M5 list.I am 45 years old with one child(6 years old),an suv, and a 2002 911 TT.Which would you buy? :confused::M5eyes: .How much do you think that the prices will differ between the M5 and the M6?Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go for the M5. You already have the sports car with the Porsche 911, so there really isn't any point in having a second coupe in the house. Besides with a family, you would be better off with the sedan just from the pov of having more access and room in your car. With much of the basic architecture for both the same, you really wouldn't suffer when it came to performance (maybe a few tenth's of a second if that.) Plus the M6 will probably be almost $100k, while the M5 will probably in the mid $80's, so you would save a bunch.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
rob1 said:
I am currently number 1 on the M6 waiting list and number 2 on the M5 list.I am 45 years old with one child(6 years old),an suv, and a 2002 911 TT.Which would you buy? :confused::M5eyes: .How much do you think that the prices will differ between the M5 and the M6?Thanks.
Depends what you want. I was number one on my M5 list, and I just switched - the dealer put me at number 2 on the M6 list. I figured I can always use our volvo or Acura if I need a sedan. But on the 95% of the time I'll be driving by myself, or with just one other person in the car, I would rather have the M6.

Why? Well, for me the M6 just seems to do everything a little bit better than the M5, except the back seat, and of course the price. Outside and inside styling I prefer the M6. Handling, acelleration, weight, center of gravity, overall driving feel - I think the M6 wins, but not by a lot. So, if you can afford the extra $15-$20K, I think the M6 is worth a look. If you're looking for a practical 'supercar' that's the best value on the planet, it's the M5.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wolverine said:
Depends what you want. I was number one on my M5 list, and I just switched - the dealer put me at number 2 on the M6 list. I figured I can always use our volvo or Acura if I need a sedan. But on the 95% of the time I'll be driving by myself, or with just one other person in the car, I would rather have the M6.

Why? Well, for me the M6 just seems to do everything a little bit better than the M5, except the back seat, and of course the price. Outside and inside styling I prefer the M6. Handling, acelleration, weight, center of gravity, overall driving feel - I think the M6 wins, but not by a lot. So, if you can afford the extra $15-$20K, I think the M6 is worth a look. If you're looking for a practical 'supercar' that's the best value on the planet, it's the M5.
Wolverine,I agree with several of the points that you make especially the one about the styling .I find myself trying to convince myself to like the new M5 styling which one should not have to do when purchasing a car that is this expensive.I don't have to do that with the M6.Most of the time I drive by myself or at most with one other person.I have other vehicles to drive when going out with other couples.Yes on a "practical basis" the M5 makes more sense,however on a purely emotional basis I am in favor of the M6.

·
Registered
816 Posts
rob1 said:
Wolverine,I agree with several of the points that you make especially the one about the styling .I find myself trying to convince myself to like the new M5 styling which one should not have to do when purchasing a car that is this expensive.I don't have to do that with the M6.Most of the time I drive by myself or at most with one other person.I have other vehicles to drive when going out with other couples.Yes on a "practical basis" the M5 makes more sense,however on a purely emotional basis I am in favor of the M6.
Agree 100% with you and Wolverine. I've made a purely emotional decision for the M6 largely based on the reasons you have suggested too. I am only ever short of room when a hoard of guests come visit. But normally my cars are more than sufficient for transport purposes for the family.

I simply love driving myself (or at most 1 other passenger) in a coupe for pure enjoyment.

I also do think the M5 is the best value super sedan car and the best in its segment on the planet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
This is an interesting dilema that harkens back to when it was the E39 M5 or Z8, as they had the same 400hp engine.

I'm on the list for the E60 M5 and since the release of official photos of the M6, I too am thinking of getting on the list for the M6.

You have mentioned that you have your "family" car, so you are conceivably free to choose a vehicle that suits yourself and 1 passenger. The M6 would fit the bill and trounce almost anything in its GT class. Winner: M6.

That said, having the ability to carry your family or friends in a sedan with 500hp would be just awesome, a tripple-threat car, luxury-performance-practicality. The M5 wins here.

I would suggest spending some seat time in both a 645ci and 545i to ascertain the ergonomics and see which car appeals to you most (using your imagination to picture the M qualities like the power increase and exterior styling cues).
In the end, pick the one you will drive and enjoy the most.
Just my humble opinion. Good luck!
Kevmmm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts