BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Just experienced something strange with my M6. Braked to pull into my garage and shifted to first at low rpm and as i pulled into my garage slowly, the whole car just started vibrating!? After I pulled in, I decided to switch the car off for 5 minutes and try again, so popped it into reverse and reversed slowly and the car just started vibrating again --- quite a violent vibration!

Whats the problem? Something to worry about??

I hope they don't have to reflash my ECU now if I take it to the dealer!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: FYI no warning signs popped up at all.

Also, vibration seems to be coming from the rear of the car. like something is loose and vibrating.

·
Registered
126 Posts
sounds like you might want to call your service center,and based on the cars you own,you should have a good relationship with a shop close by.....is engine running rough??? Engine misfire will cause roughness but would must likely turn on service light.....broken/grounded tranmission/engine/exhaust mount would give similiar feeling. Without seeing condition first hand in person it would be very hard to give correct diagnosis.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sounds like you might want to call your service center,and based on the cars you own,you should have a good relationship with a shop close by.....is engine running rough??? Engine misfire will cause roughness but would must likely turn on service light.....broken/grounded tranmission/engine/exhaust mount would give similiar feeling. Without seeing condition first hand in person it would be very hard to give correct diagnosis.
Many thanks for your reply. Its really getting to me and kind of bumming me out. Engine isn't running rough at all, purring like a kitten. I went out for a long drive today and all was great, even stopping and moving again from red lights and traffic, all was fine, only when I came home and was pulling into my garage car started vibrating and jittering violently from the rear end. Making a similar sound as though you are carrying a silver tray with metal objects on it and you're shaking the tray. Kinda seems like the exhaust may be loose and vibrating violently (but I don't understand how that could have happened). As a result whole car started vibrating. I switched it off for a while, and then on again and tried to reverse, same problem so I put it back and left it there. I texted a bunch of the guys I know who work at the dealership but no-one has gotten back to me yet.

Unfort I guess I have no choice but to put her on a flat-bed tomorrow and go to the dealer. I really hope this isn't a software issue the dealer has to reflash my ECU or somehting and I end up losing my CA Auto remap! I also don't have any warning lights or anything. I hit the button for a system check and it gave me the OK.

I don't know if it could be caused by my filling up with gas today maybe the fuel was lower grade than normal -- no clue. Maybe also on my way home I passed by a small tunnel and I downshifted like 2 gears for a nice big rev and it hit redline around 8,000rpm-ish (didn't mean to do that) for half a second until I moved back up in gears -- maybe that could have done something.

I'm obsessing I know -- but all my forum and google searches have given me zero results. And although I like to drive hard at times, I never abuse the car. Have owned her since Jan '09 (so warranty still valid!) and yet have not once, ever, done a launch control. I've also recently changed my tires, but new PS2s on the car and have never tracked the car.

So I'm confused, and definitely think its time for a beer.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I would not worry too much about touching the redline; many of us do that several times per day, both upshifting and down. But definitely have the Stealership check it out. Not sure you need a flatbed if it purrs like a furry pussy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just had a buddy of mine over who's a part-time mechanic and we took a quick run around the block. Noise and vibration go away completely once you start driving properly so I don't think its too serious. He said that although it would be easier to tell what the problem is if he could get under the car and basically start feeling the parts for a rattle, he believes from what he's heard and felt its either the drive-shaft or the rear diff but most likely the rear diff that needs a change. Wonder if this is a warranty job. Either way will check it out tomorrow morning at the stealers. Hope they have necessary parts in stock and don't have to order anything -- we have a public holiday coming up this tuesday for the rest of the week so if the car's gonna be in the shop during this time, it'll be a big shame!

I don't think it's a good idea to drive it if the diff may need changing right? Might make things worse I think.

Thanks for your support guys.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Believe it or not, it might be the differential fluid. There is a BMW service bulletin out on that. My diff was making noises on sharp turns and I had the Stealership change the fluid with their special Space Shuttle diff fluid, and all noise went away. Make sure they look up the service advisory. Here's the link from awhile back:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...6board-com/154623-weird-sound-steering-4.html

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok so took the car to the dealership this morning and had them check the car. As soon as I took the mechanic for a short drive, he said -- CLUTCH - SMG! I told him to lift the car and take a look first. So they did and came back to me with, we checked the rear diff, bushings and drive shaft and all seem fine. We will run a diagnostics now and get back to you as it is likely to be something related with the SMG or clutch. They ran the diagnostics -- results were inconclusive. So they told me that I had to keep the car with them for "further observation" and that they were likely to have to get in contact with Munich and I don't know what else. To be honest, they seemed as dumbfounded as I am, I was hoping that they would impress me a little and after an hour and a half of checking the car at least come back to me with something. But no.

Now fine if they decide it is the SMG, then I hope they fix it or replace the clutch or whatever it is. Just hoping they don't decide to reflash or reset or update my software, I instructed them not to. But if it's a last resort its a last resort. If they do reset the SMG software after a clutch or tranny change, that would generally reset my CA Auto remap on the ECU wouldn't it? I don't want to lose the tune which I paid a lot of money for and which I've enjoyed for almost a year as I know I'll get bored having to experience a lack of power from the level to which I have grown accustomed!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This is why I prefer Dinan to other ECU tunes -- once you've paid for it, you can have it re-flashed at any time. There are no limits or extra charges. Yes, it's more expensive than most upfront, but who needs the hassles and worries about losing the program later on?

Hope it works out for you. It doesn't sound like something the ECU should be involved in, luckily.

-b.

Ok so took the car to the dealership this morning and had them check the car. As soon as I took the mechanic for a short drive, he said -- CLUTCH - SMG! I told him to lift the car and take a look first. So they did and came back to me with, we checked the rear diff, bushings and drive shaft and all seem fine. We will run a diagnostics now and get back to you as it is likely to be something related with the SMG or clutch. They ran the diagnostics -- results were inconclusive. So they told me that I had to keep the car with them for "further observation" and that they were likely to have to get in contact with Munich and I don't know what else. To be honest, they seemed as dumbfounded as I am, I was hoping that they would impress me a little and after an hour and a half of checking the car at least come back to me with something. But no.

Now fine if they decide it is the SMG, then I hope they fix it or replace the clutch or whatever it is. Just hoping they don't decide to reflash or reset or update my software, I instructed them not to. But if it's a last resort its a last resort. If they do reset the SMG software after a clutch or tranny change, that would generally reset my CA Auto remap on the ECU wouldn't it? I don't want to lose the tune which I paid a lot of money for and which I've enjoyed for almost a year as I know I'll get bored having to experience a lack of power from the level to which I have grown accustomed!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for the msg. Well CA Auto told me initially when I had it done that they will reflash it for free in case it is reset. That's not my worry. My issue is that I live in Bahrain and CA Auto is based in the UK. A bunch of us ///M owners brought the CA Auto team all the way here from the UK to tune our cars at one of our local garages that has a dyno. So in the event that it needs to be reset, my only option would be to unplug and courier the ECU over to them to reflash it and send it back -- which I don't know the first thing about doing and don't want to ruin the car in the event I had to resort to that! lol

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Wow -- that's too bad & certainly a big hassle. It's too bad that your local shop or another performance center isn't interested in having the ability to sell the custom ECU programs. It seems they'd have a corner on the market. ;)

Nevertheless, it's good to hear that CA Auto is fair and easy to work with in the event of a re-flash being needed.

-b.

Thanks very much for the msg. Well CA Auto told me initially when I had it done that they will reflash it for free in case it is reset. That's not my worry. My issue is that I live in Bahrain and CA Auto is based in the UK. A bunch of us ///M owners brought the CA Auto team all the way here from the UK to tune our cars at one of our local garages that has a dyno. So in the event that it needs to be reset, my only option would be to unplug and courier the ECU over to them to reflash it and send it back -- which I don't know the first thing about doing and don't want to ruin the car in the event I had to resort to that! lol

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow -- that's too bad & certainly a big hassle. It's too bad that your local shop or another performance center isn't interested in having the ability to sell the custom ECU programs. It seems they'd have a corner on the market. ;)

Nevertheless, it's good to hear that CA Auto is fair and easy to work with in the event of a re-flash being needed.

-b.
Exactly. Would be so much easier if I lived in the States, pretty much anything and everything is possible and all within reach. CA Auto were meant to set-up something here through a local partner, but nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Funny story - just got a call from my service rep at the dealers. He told me that they still haven't been able to find out what the problem is and that he had taken the original mechanic who was assigned to my car off the task as he didn't seem to know what he was doing. (How comforting). He told me they are putting their chief mechanic on this now to investigate and see where the problem lies. This chief mechanic is very good I've dealt with him before so there is a tiny bit of hope in me now. I knew as soon as I had gotten there this morning that the original mechanic who they had assigned to my car seemed like a headless chicken jumping to conclusions without running the necessary tests. So keeping my fingers crossed now for a speedy diagnosis and hopefully there is nothing wrong with the software.

Keep your fingers crossed for me fellas!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so just got a call from the service rep with the following report: they need to replace the strut, left + right engine mountings, clutch kit and guide bush. All warranty parts so thank God for that and no software reflash or reset required! Great news. Only minor issue is that they don't have the parts in stock and will have to order them so no beast for around 10-ish days. The guy told me it's good that I didn't drive it otherwise the car would have stopped on the road. lol.

Anyways thanks for your responses and support guys!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
That's great news!

Now... Spill the beans... What in the HECK were you doing to break all that stuff? That's some serious hooning.. :D

Seriously though -- are the roads pretty rough there?

-b.

Ok so just got a call from the service rep with the following report: they need to replace the strut, left + right engine mountings, clutch kit and guide bush. All warranty parts so thank God for that and no software reflash or reset required! Great news. Only minor issue is that they don't have the parts in stock and will have to order them so no beast for around 10-ish days. The guy told me it's good that I didn't drive it otherwise the car would have stopped on the road. lol.

Anyways thanks for your responses and support guys!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's great news!

Now... Spill the beans... What in the HECK were you doing to break all that stuff? That's some serious hooning.. :D

Seriously though -- are the roads pretty rough there?

-b.
LOL I have no idea how this could have happened! Ok so I drive it hard (otherwise I may as well have gotten myself a 630i!) but not all the time especially coz most of the time the wife is with me and she doesn't like hard driving (only allows me to do so after she's had a couple of glasses of wine lol). Always on MDM S5 at the push of the M button and in AT mode in heavy traffic. Roads here are not all that smooth in some parts but they're getting better - lot of road works around our tiny country to make things better for us sports car drivers. Either way I take it slow on the rough parts of course otherwise I know I'll end up in the shop again with a cracked engine underneath shielding cover like what happened to be earlier this year, didn't notice a pot-hole on a poorly lit street lol so you gotta be extra careful with low sports cars here. Never done LC ever on the car and never tracked it either so to be honest beats me why all those things need to be changed! But nonetheless, it's a warranty job and it doesn't require any ECU software reset so I'm a happy camper!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am glad you got your problem taken care of....it is good to know my long distance diagnostic skills are still ok in my old age....once you find a good auto tech stay with him,let him look your car over once a year,just as you would a good dentist,accountant etc....maybe expensive but makes life much easier........have a great day

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am glad you got your problem taken care of....it is good to know my long distance diagnostic skills are still ok in my old age....once you find a good auto tech stay with him,let him look your car over once a year,just as you would a good dentist,accountant etc....maybe expensive but makes life much easier........have a great day
Thanks very much I am over the moon and can't wait to be reunited with the beast when he'll all better! Will def keep your recommendation for regular visits to the auto tech in mind. Thanks for your help and support. Have a great day :)

·
8,369 Posts
Thanks for the info and posting updates.

Happy to hear your stealer appears to have diagnosed and pinpoint the problem.

As others have posted - it is odd that the struts, engine mounts, clutch kit, etc would all go bad at the same time and on a 2008 M6.
I dont think I've read one post here in the past similar to the issue you are experiencing.

Driving an M6 spiritedly would not hurt any as the car is designed and meant to be driven that way.
Damage to shocks, struts, mounts usually happens driving spiritedly on rough roads or off-roading but you stated you didnt do that so that is odd that they would all go bad.......

At any rate, thanks and keep us posted. And happy to hear everything is under warranty.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info and posting updates.

Happy to hear your stealer appears to have diagnosed and pinpoint the problem.

As others have posted - it is odd that the struts, engine mounts, clutch kit, etc would all go bad at the same time and on a 2008 M6.
I dont think I've read one post here in the past similar to the issue you are experiencing.

Driving an M6 spiritedly would not hurt any as the car is designed and meant to be driven that way.
Damage to shocks, struts, mounts usually happens driving spiritedly on rough roads or off-roading but you stated you didnt do that so that is odd that they would all go bad.......

At any rate, thanks and keep us posted. And happy to hear everything is under warranty.
Many thanks whatheheck for your msg. I agree, as I mentioned, it beats me why all those things need to be changed. I'm guessing only one of those issues was causing my problems - maybe the clutch?, but upon inspection, the auto tech probably thought it would be best to replace some other parts too at the same time. In my experience though, this is uncommon when the car is still under warranty -- as I would expect all sorts of things would need to be changed conveniently of course upon expiry of the warranty for the dealership to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the owner!.

Just really hoping that with all these changes, my issues that I faced that night will become a distant memory. Would really be a shame if they did all of this work on the car and the problem persisted. Especially as I'm very patiently awaiting delivery of my latest purchased mods (E-Race exhaust, SS x-pipes (non-resonated) and RPI intake kit and BMC filter).

Will be sure to keep you all updated and hope that this thread will prove to be a good precedent for any other M6 owner who experiences similar issues.

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: Picked up the beast today good as new! Put the top down and took a nice cruise! Thanks all for your support.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts