BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Already next year BMW is scratching this mark (600 bhp) – not concerning the new 3 series – but with the M6. The bran-new V10 from the M5 marks a new optimum value for BMW in the top-version of the 6 series, because the performance is gonna be enhanced by 20% from 507 bhp to 600 bhp. The tuning is more sporty than in the serial coupe and offers an amazing variety of individual settings like the M5. Even if the selling starts not until July – friends of the sporty way of driving can start to increase there level of adrenalin."

I visited my local dealer at once and confronted him with the article. He neither denied nor confirmed anything. I am so excited; the M6 is gonna be the mother of all for-daily-use-sports-cars. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
why should he deny anything... ;)

This grafic is partly bullshit...I'm wondering how they discovered this wrong information - hey, AMS is in Germany too...!?

Greetings

·
Registered
816 Posts
600bhp (440kW)? I almost fell out of my chair! I don't mind 600bhp but I don't believe that's gonna happen. But I can believe the July/mid-2005 launch/release though.

Are there any major car shows around that time? Anybody know?

·
Registered
816 Posts
sunshine-t said:
why should he deny anything... ;)

This grafic is partly bullshit...I'm wondering how they discovered this wrong information - hey, AMS is in Germany too...!?

Greetings
Mr sunshine-t, can you give us more info on the M6 please like you have done with the M5? Power, release date ... ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have also got my reasonable doubts about the 600 bhp. Nevertheless, AMS is the biggest, most popular car-magazine in Germany with reliable sources und safe predictions in the past. It would be a mistake to brush aside the information they deliver. It's hard to believe that they just make it all up. Why? To put BMW M under pressure? To set expectations high? They are running the risk to lose credibility! So we should keep our fingers crossed.

I've got the feeling some potential M5 customers don't like to see an M6 that outperformes the M5 in any possible way.;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Autocar confrimed it would be the same as the m5 507bhp with a csl version with 550 to follow.
What has it got to do with m5 oowners though ? the m6 is competing in a different market,the m5 has to beat the e55,rs6,xjr etc,the M6 will be competing with the 997 turbo at the suggested price point,why shouldn't it have more power ? The AMG merc e-class had its power reduced so it had less than the sl55 .

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I think the M6 will have the same power as the M5. I would suspect the M6 will be faster but only down to handling etc rather than having more power. If an M6 CSL gets built then this will certainly have more power but I don't think it would be any where near 600bhp. Remember BMW is all about control and balance rather than big figures. Look how fast the CSL is on track and it doesn't have 400-500 bhp under the bonnet.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I disagree with anxieties about the M6 out performing the M5 and I agree there are M5 owners who feel that way. The M6 needs to out perform many super coupe in that class, just like the M5 will out perform many super sedans in that class. Both are different classes aimed at different potential buyers.

I think AMS probably based their 600bhp figure on what they think was reliable info, without intentions of misleading or building false expectations etc. In the long run, it does no magazine any favour by pumping out BS. Still, if it is true ... we'll have a BIG party, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
IMHO for a lot of people the M5 and the M6 are not so different markets at all.

Of course the M5 is a 4-door-sedan and the M6 is a coupe, hence they are two different classes. But have a look at the CLS55 AMG; every car-magazine puts it against the M5 just because it has got 4 doors. If Mercedes would have built exactly the same car but only with two doors nobody would think of comparing them. That makes little sense to me.

If you have a family with two childen the M5 is a good choice for you, no doubt. But the M6 is an option too. It has got a 450l trunk, 70l less than the M5 (520l) but still mutch more than the Porsche 997 has to offer – unfortunately, the 130l "hole" of the Porsche 997 is not even enough for me, and I am single – and furthermore, the two backseats of the M6 offer adequat space for kids and can be used to store additional baggage. There will be a difference in prices of course, but not as great as the price difference between M6 and Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. Short after the launch of the M6 mags will definitely put the M6 face to face with the M5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts