·
Registered
2,997 Posts
:2: santa needs to bring me one

·
Registered
816 Posts
The Autoweek website just posted it. Here's the text, might be easier to read:-

(The M5 wheels look great on the M6 too)! :D So it's Geneva right?

BMW’s 6 Series on steroids, the M6, will make a return to the performance-car ranks after a 16-year hiatus. The new model, caught in prototype form undergoing final shakedown tests, makes its public debut at next year’s Geneva show, with North American sales planned by this time next year.

The prime targets for BMW’s bold new two-door are the recently reworked Porsche 911 Carrera, Mercedes-Benz CLS55 AMG and upcoming Aston Martin DB5. It could set its sights higher up the supercar ladder with power coming from the new M5’s extraordinary 40-valve 5.0-liter V10 engine.

The M6 will get 507 hp at 7750 rpm and 384 lb-ft of torque at 6100 rpm—174 hp and 52 lb-ft more than the 6 Series flagship, the 4.4-liter V8-powered 645i. BMW’s latest seven-speed SMG (sequential manual gearbox) will be used. The V10 should make the M6 BMW’s fastest road car so far: Insiders hint at 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, a standing quarter-mile time less than 13 seconds and a theoretical top speed close to 180 mph, though like all high-end BMW models these days the M6 will be reined in electronically at 155 mph.

BMW’s M division is already looking to go one better. Along with the standard model shown here, it is planning a CSL version of the M6 with lightweight carbon fiber body panels and a more powerful engine to extend its performance.

The CSL is likely for 2007, just as the initial sales wave of the standard M6 begins to wane. To ensure it copes with the added output, BMW has reworked the 6 Series’ Mac-Pherson strut (front) and multilink (rear) suspension, fitting lightweight aluminum components to trim unsprung weight and sharpen responses. Stiffer springs and dampers lower the ride height, and an aggressive stance complements the 6 Series’ bullish styling. Also included is an electronically controlled M differential capable of producing 100 percent lockup when the cornering action gets hot, sure to make the M6 a drifter’s dream come true.

Designers have taken a subtle approach to the M6’s exterior styling: The changes over lesser 6 Series models have been carefully considered and honed in BMW’s wind tunnel. They include a deeper front spoiler with larger cooling ducts, heavily flared wheel arches, new exterior mirror housings, unique chrome highlights for the engine cooling ducts, wider doorsills and a new valance panel on the rear bumper, housing four chromed tailpipes, and providing a venturi effect to extract hot air from the car’s differential.

·
Registered
457 Posts
... a theoretical top speed close to 180 mph, though like ...

180 mph = 290 km/h

I doubt that! Even my 400 bhp E39 M5 reaches an effective top speed of 296 km/h (~310 km/h tacho-speed). The M6 should exceed 300 km/h with ease.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Agree.

Hey, I also just realised that the M6 test models have NO panorama glass roof like the 645Ci coupe. The M5 discussion guys were saying the same thing about the M5. Anyone know if the glass top is available on the M6? :(

·
Registered
457 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Agree.

Hey, I also just realised that the M6 test models have NO panorama glass roof like the 645Ci coupe. The M5 discussion guys were saying the same thing about the M5. Anyone know if the glass top is available on the M6? :(
In Germany only a normal glass-roof [Glas-Schiebe-Hebedach (403)] is available for the M5 and the 645Ci; probably the M6 gets this one too. A panorama-glass-roof [Panorama-Glasdach (402)] is available only for the 5 series Touring. IMHO glass-roofs only increase the weight and are almost useless. If you really want to enjoy the sun you need a convertible.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
In Germany only a normal glass-roof [Glas-Schiebe-Hebedach (403)] is available for the M5 and the 645Ci; probably the M6 gets this one too. A panorama-glass-roof [Panorama-Glasdach (402)] is available only for the 5 series Touring. IMHO glass-roofs only increase the weight and are almost useless. If you really want to enjoy the sun you need a convertible.
I agree about the weight. I'll wait and see what the specs are. I'm not getting the convertible, as it's not practical for me, so only thinking about the glass roof. But if it significantly slows down the M6, then I'm OK to forget about the glass roof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts