BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M6 Individual pricing?

Does anyone have any idea of the price for M6 individual paintwork,(like the sensational ruby black), or the optional interiors.?

Also does it add much time to the delivery schedule?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ronan said:
M6 Individual pricing?

Does anyone have any idea of the price for M6 individual paintwork,(like the sensational ruby black), or the optional interiors.?

Also does it add much time to the delivery schedule?
Have asked my dealer today and he should be finding out if available if so I will let you know the price in Sterling.

Look at BMW.com at M6 Individual looks like what you need to order is "composition1" which includes Individual paint, full leather,interior strips and roof liner in alcantara.

I like the Ruby black + Platinum or Champagne but also you can get Stratus Grey or Moonstone which look good.

PS I'll also let you know re: timescale

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnny73 said:
Have asked my dealer today and he should be finding out if available if so I will let you know the price in Sterling.

Look at BMW.com at M6 Individual looks like what you need to order is "composition1" which includes Individual paint, full leather,interior strips and roof liner in alcantara.

I like the Ruby black + Platinum or Champagne but also you can get Stratus Grey or Moonstone which look good.
I have stratus grey on my current 645 with cream leather and like it very much. The colour changes in the light conditions and I have had a ot of people remark positively on it..but the ruby black is just..amazing.

Look forward to hearing your dealer experience. Nothing available here in Canada yet.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
johnny73 said:
Ronan

I like Stratus and Mineral Silver which are both offered but feel that if you go do Individual route perhaps you should get a colour that is not a "standard" colour on the 6er?

Ruby Black still the favourite:
I agree with you...having had the Stratus at no additional cost on the 645 seems silly to pay for it on the M6. I will probably go the ruby black route, but the interior is still a bit of a mystery..I will have to think about that.

I will certainly be very interested in the opinions of M6 owners as the cars start to come on stream in Europe...
Also, it is quite possible that by the time the NA launch of the cars occurs there may be a couple of additional colours on the release here. Oddly, when the 645 was launched in '04, Stratus was only available in Canada, and not on the US cars. I have the two catalogues.

By the way, about a year after I received the 645 BMW sent out a magnificent hardbound slipcover illustrated book on the 6-series and its predecessors, apparently to many owners. I wonder if they will do the same for the M6?

Also..is anyone taking the M school?..I want to take the school on the Nordschleife as I am definitely picking up the car in Europe. Just not sure how to do it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Also..is anyone taking the M school?..I want to take the school on the Nordschleife as I am definitely picking up the car in Europe. Just not sure how to do it.[/QUOTE]

I would like to do the M school, from memory member Sarah MN has done it perhaps you could send her a PM for contact details?

I may do it in March next year to coincide with factory collection of my girlfriends SLK and probably visit Hartge to test drive their version of the M6 if they have a demonstrator by then.

PS I think Ruby Black needs a contrast like Platiunum or Champagne which I prefer as it is a bit warmer

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to do the M school, from memory member Sarah MN has done it perhaps you could send her a PM for contact details?

PS I think Ruby Black needs a contrast like Platiunum or Champagne which I prefer as it is a bit warmer[/QUOTE]
Left her a PM ..tks. The platinum is too cold so probably will go champagne.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Colors and other tidbits from Garching and Switzerland

I just got back from 3 weeks in Europe (European Delivery of my 2005 BMW 645Ci - Stratus Gray & Cream, SMG, Sport Pkg). I stopped by BMW M in Garching (just north of Munich) and snapped some photos of M5s and M6s behind the fence. I also went inside and talked a bit with one of their guys. At the end of my trip I had a lengthy conversation with Roger Fassler of Sepp Fassler BMW in Appenzell Switzerland.

Colors: I saw M5/M6 cars in Silverstone II, Indy Red, Saphire Black, Interlagos Blue, and Sepang Bronze.

Indy Red: It was a cloudy day in Garching (disclaimer), but the Indy Red looked like a dull, dark, brick red. I was not impressed.

Silverstone II: The Silverstone looks good, even in the shade. Classy and always a good choice.

Interlagos Blue: In Garching this was a darker blue than what I had expected based on photos I'd presiously seen on the web, however I also saw an Interlagos Blue M5 in Appenzell with the sun out and the blue comes more to life in the sun. There is a LOT of metallic sparkle in the sunlight. A bit restained, but a good color choice. Overall, darker and more toward the purple end of blue than I'd like, but...

Sapphire Black: Same as the standard color (which I have on my 2002 BMW 745i). Just what you would expect, good for a stealth Bimmer, or Bad *** Black depending on your point of view.

Sepang Bronze: I saved this color for last. There was an M6 in Sepang Bronze in the lot at Garching and there was enough sun out on the day I dropped my 645 off at E.H.Harms in Munich (a couple of blocks away) to make me a believer. Sorry I did not snap a photo that sunnier day. My photos of Sepang Bronze were from the cloudy day at the start of my trip. In some photos on the web Sepang Bronze looks rather brown. In the sunlight it lights up with a dark but very rich with highlighted gold. Sort of like a brown/gold version of Stratus Gray's gray/pale gold undercoat. This is my color of choice for an M6 anyway.

More on conversations in my follow-on posts.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

While in the Munich area, I spoke with a BMW M employee at Garching for a few minutes. I asked about the M5 delivery date in the U.S. He alluded that there had been a problem. I said, "you mean the oil pumps?" and he said, yes, but its been fixed and deliveries had resumed (which I took to mean in Europe). He was not at liberty to talk about much, which I had expected, but was very nice and took a piece of Hawaiian Koa wood veneer I brought with me in hopes that the Individual folks would consider using Koa for an interior dash option or special order. He was nice enough to give some contact information for their Marketing man in Individual whom I spoke with briefly a couple of day later via phone.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

While in Appenzell, Switzerland, I spoke with Roger Fassler of Sepp Fassler BMW. He had gotten back from driving in the Mini challenge at Hockenheim the week before. Based on the "Team" sticker plastered on the front windshield of a Sapphire Black M5 on their lot, it appears that the M5 was his "commute" to Hockenheim. What a tough life! They also had an Interlagos Blue M5 on their lot (along with a Z8, M3, 645s, etc.).

The BMW 645 production is wrapping up and starting with (I believe) week 39 (end of September), they will switch to making the BMW 650 which has the 4.8 liter engine from the BMW 750.

Roger says they have delivered a number of M5s and M6s already. They were making M5 delivers from the first batch from the factory.

Talking about BMW Individual a bit, he offered that the Onyx Blue paint is very nice. A very dark, almost black color where the blue only appears in the sun. He said the Ruby Black is not a durable color and mars easily. He does not recommend it if you have any likelyhood of getting scratches or abbrasions. Unlike me, Roger likes the Indy Red color available on M5/M6s.

They took an M6 and a Ferrari 430 and did real world road tests. It was a performance toss up. On some days and roads, one was slightly faster/better, other days and roads, the other had the edge. Too close to call. The Ferrari of course has the image and aura, but the BMW M6 has equivalent performance for much less money.

Cultural note, he says that in Switzerland customers perfer the biggest engines while neighboring Germans prefer smaller engines. He attributed this to Switzerland's hills & snow, gasoline prices (cheaper in Switzerland), insurance and registration cost penalties for big motor cars in Germany. He said its much easier for his dealership to sell a 750i or even a 760i than a 730 diesel (of which they may sell one a year).

Roger and his father (Sepp) were both very nice. If I lived in Switzerland, I'd buy from them.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
SMG

A bit off topic, but I just finished 3 weeks of 645 SMG driving during my European Delivery vacation. Of course it's only the 6 speed, but very different from the earlier generation SMG I test drove in a 330i last year before I ordered my SMG 645. While it does not have the exact same feel as an automatic (the same as the 6 speed in my 745i I assume), it is MUCH less harsh than the older SMG in the 330i.

During my trip, when I was in heavy traffic on unfamilar roads and focusing on the Nav guidence and the other cars, the SMG in "D" mode operated mostly like a fully automatic transmission. It did not upshift on trailing throttle when I would have expected from a fully auto trans (it holds the lower gear longer), but otherwise it was very smooth and pleasant. A good trans choice for a car if you get stuck in stop and go traffic a lot. On the level, the car does not creep when stopped (no brake required to hold still, unlike a real automatic). And yes, the car will roll backwards on an incline, more so than a regular automatic. And you park in "D" and start the engine in "N". Otherwise, a no brainer to start/operate. No doubt a lot easier to palm off to valets than my 745i which needs some starting/shifting instructions for the inexperienced!

Since my 645 had 1 mile on it when I got it, I could not use the Sport mode button during the break-in period (most all of my trip). When using the SMG paddles (and yeah, they don't do a thing unless you move the shift lever to the right to switch from "D" to "S" mode), I found that you need to fully press the paddle to get your downshift. Once in a while I flicked too lightly and there was no shift. Not the car's fault, I just needed to develop a touch for the paddles. I also learned to anticipate a bit with shifts as the non-Sport mode shift does not happen instantly when you press/pull the paddle. So, while driving twisty country roads in Tuscany, I pressed the paddle a half second before I wanted the actual gear engaged. Still a very quick shift, even in the comfortable "normal" mode.

I've read that some folks don't like that the paddles rotate with the steering wheels when they have to turn the wheel a lot (like tight turns calling for 2nd gear). However you can also reach for the shift lever and catch a gear that way without having to "chase" the paddle around the wheel. Like anything else, it only gets better with practice.

I hope the M6 7 speed SMG retains the "Jekyll" smoothness of my 645's SMG. Reading reports, the "Hyde" mode sounds like a neck-snapping rush.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: SMG

Hi Mark

Thanks for all your above posts:

Agree on colours although am currently thinking of changing my Sepang Bronze to Black, mainly for resale as may order another with an Individual package soon after. Interesting comments on Ruby Black, shame as I really like it although would consider Moonstone, Stratus Grey, Mineral Silver and even Onyx blue too.

These photos you have taken, any chance you could upload them on the site?

Good to hear the M6/F430 comparison where I imagine the only real difference would be the quality of the Ferrari's brakes(durability). In the UK Evo have done something similar with, believe it or not a Renault Clio Trophy, I will post something soon about this.

Thanks for your info on SMG in your 6er however SMG III system in M6 should be an entirely different kettle of fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts