BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before, but we all very well know that the M6 has a different exhaust setup compared to the M5. There are also theories that the M5 engine is severely restricted by the exhausts... so my question is, could the different exhaust system on the M6 account for the ridiculously quick numbers test magazines have been getting? Could the M6 have more power than the M5 to begin with, simply because of its exhaust system? :D :haha: :thumbsup:

:M5launch:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I suspect that the exhaust manifolds are the same but the rear section may be tuned for a better sound & more airflow.

Perhaps they've fiddled with the ECU on the M6 to make it a more sporty drive compared to the M5.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Exhausts I make assumption are the same on both cars, but the fraction of a margin that M6 wins over M5 is weight. M6 lighter

·
Registered
457 Posts
The reason for the better lap times as well as the faster longitudinal acceleration are:

- lower centre of gravity
- better CdA (drag)
- less weight
- sportier tuned suspension
- 'Auto Motor und Sport' and 'Sport Auto' magazines tested the M6 with r-compound tires.

There is no performance gain (that would result in more bhp or torque) because of a different exhaust.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The power is the same, 507bhp, per BMW.

Whatever longitudinal acceleration differences, braking or acceleration, are due to the difference in tires and about 100lbs, which is negligable.

Tom

·
Registered
304 Posts
M6 Forever said:
As I asked in the other thread: what tyres are we receiving off the factory at delivery?
BMW has to deliver Conti tires (they have a contract). But all test are made with racing tires Pirelli P Zero rosa. This tires you have to change after nearly 5.000 km. So the superb braking and accelarations goes to the r-tires.

AM

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I cant wait unitil DINAN comes out with software for the M6.... I had the DINAN software on my X5 4.6 and what a huge difference it did...and its still covered under BMW warranty which is one less thing to worry about....I think with the software and an air intake system the M6 should near 550 hp....

·
Registered
831 Posts
mumbasic said:
BMW has to deliver Conti tires (they have a contract). But all test are made with racing tires Pirelli P Zero rosa. This tires you have to change after nearly 5.000 km. So the superb braking and accelarations goes to the r-tires.

AM
This is very useful to know. Every test I have read in the North American Press makes the statement that the P zero Corsa tires are original equipment on the car. Did any of the people who already have their cars get P zeros or contis?.. is it an option??. I have had BMWs delivered in Canada with a veriety of tires including Contis and Michelin Pilots so I am not sure if there are markets diffrences or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts