BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Great report. Thanks.

There are two important questions:-

(1) The M5 10 spoke wheels are not available for the M6?! Why not? The wheels are exactly the same size. Is this a production issue? You got to be joking!

(2) M Multifunction Seats also not available for the M6?! You also got to be joking!

What the devil are these people doing to paying customers who are spending good money to buy the second most expensive BMW right now?grrrrrrr

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M Multifuntion seats are not avail. since the M6 seats are more sportier than the M5 seats, which makes kind of sense to me. M5 wheels are not avail. by judging form the options, sure you can order htem afterwards or maybe after discussions with the dealer.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hmm ... maybe I could live without the fancy Multifunction seats.

Any M6 buyers out there? The more I look at Indianoplis Red, the more I think it's a nice colour. Anyone think differently?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Gustav said:
M Multifuntion seats are not avail. since the M6 seats are more sportier than the M5 seats, which makes kind of sense to me. M5 wheels are not avail. by judging form the options, sure you can order htem afterwards or maybe after discussions with the dealer.
but from the pictures the M6 seat looks the same as the M5 seat (the one with 2 stitch lines). and i find M5's standard seat to be very supportive also, especially with the automatic side bolster adjusted to my liking. somehow i feel the reason they aren't including the special seat in M6 is perhaps because of the weight reason?

also is it me, or does the Alpina B7's headlight looks like it has "4" angle eyes per side?

and thanks Gustav for your awsome report once again!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Greeeaaat report, I really can't get tired of looking at the M5 :1:

·
Registered
369 Posts
great report, thanks.

but in the alpina part there is a small mistake:

"The classic Alpina 20 spokes wheels still looks very good. Alpina has been very true to their heritage for over 30 years. The B5 stops from 200 km/h in 5,5 s which is a distance just over 300 m. The brake discs are 374 mm in front and 370 mm in the rear. The brakes are from the BMW 760Li. "

the b5 never stops from 200 in 300m!!! if you try to measure the brake distance by using the time (the 5.5s), you have to average the speed during the whole braking. and that is 100km/h not 200!
so using this method, the brake distance would be ((200/2)/3,6)*5,5=153m

·
Registered
492 Posts
Great write-up. The Alpina looks amazing, as always, in that blue color.
Looking forward to the rest of the write-ups, I know how much time and effort you are putting down on these reports :cheers:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
9852147 said:
The b5 never stops from 200 in 300m!!! if you try to measure the brake distance by using the time (the 5.5s), you have to average the speed during the whole braking. and that is 100km/h not 200!
so using this method, the brake distance would be ((200/2)/3,6)*5,5=153m

[/color][/color][/size][/font]
Only if you assume constant deceleration, which seems unlikely...

·
Registered
369 Posts
hythe said:
sure, but 300m seems to be more unlikely!!! :byee55amg

for example, a porsche boxster s needs ~135m, a m3 ~145m. everything above 150m is very bad. bmw claims for the new m5 140m.

·
Registered
369 Posts
gustav, are you still in geneva or did you ask alpina about the new b3?
just thought about that question. woulb be interesting to know, which concept they will use on the e90 b3... and some tech-infos... :hihi:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct. I just placed the number to see which one who could spot the calculations ;)

Yes, of course the decelaration is ghigher at lower speeds.

hythe said:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Development has been going on for 1,5 years now and they usually needs 3 years. The were very silent on upcoming B3 models.

9852147 said:
gustav, are you still in geneva or did you ask alpina about the new b3?
just thought about that question. woulb be interesting to know, which concept they will use on the e90 b3... and some tech-infos... :hihi:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Gustav said:
Yes, of course the decelaration is ghigher at lower speeds.
I would think that deceleration would be a bit greater at higher speeds due to the aid of greater wind resistance. This assumes the brakes are sufficiently strong to achieve (near) lockup at the higher speeds.

Tom

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting, maybe. I think spontanousluy it is better at lower speeds, maybe that is completely wrong as you say thanks to wind resistance. On my M3 the ABS started working at a bit under 200 km/h / 120 mph (around 180 km/h ) which indicates that the wheels can lock.

Another thing is also that the ABS brakes times / distance at lower speeds, or is that a wroing assumption?

bernhtp said:
I would think that deceleration would be a bit greater at higher speeds due to the aid of greater wind resistance. This assumes the brakes are sufficiently strong to achieve (near) lockup at the higher speeds.

Tom

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe the seats are the same? I think it looks like they are more supportive. Then it must be as you say the weight reason.

tifosi said:
but from the pictures the M6 seat looks the same as the M5 seat (the one with 2 stitch lines). and i find M5's standard seat to be very supportive also, especially with the automatic side bolster adjusted to my liking. somehow i feel the reason they aren't including the special seat in M6 is perhaps because of the weight reason?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Does anyone know if the HOT HOT HOT carbon interior trim that is on the M6 will be availible on the M5?

Thanks!

Great write-up!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Wow- Gustav- fantastic reporting! Thank you very much. :1:

I am really stunned at the Alpina interiors- I really like them and Id like to see the B7 sold here. As usual, the M cars are really special.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Hmm ... maybe I could live without the fancy Multifunction seats.

Any M6 buyers out there? The more I look at Indianoplis Red, the more I think it's a nice colour. Anyone think differently?

....not ready for the M6 yet, but currently torn between the E60 and E63... but I agree, the more i see the Indy Red the more it looks great on this car :M5thumbs:

thanks Gustav

1 - 20 of 32 Posts