BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new on this forum.

I take my M6 black 3 months ago, till now I make 9000Km on it.
20 days ago I got one problem with my car :

when I try to start it, I push the brake pedal, put the shift in N position, and turn the key; the car message me put the shift in N position and push the brake; after try a lot of time, finally call the bmw assistance, and they take the car and send it to my dealer.

Last friday they give me back the car, and told me some senors was changed, that didn't let work properly the gear pump.
After 40Km the car give me the same problem, and today they take the car again; the dealer call me and told me they need to change the gearbox!!!!

I read somewhere one guy that take a gearbox problem on an m5 after 1500Km; May be bmw has exagerate with this gearbox??

Does anyone got the same problem?

When the car has this problem, u don't hear anymore the gear pump that work when u open the car.

I feel very bad now, I enjoy this car for 2 months, and now is 20 days that they are trying to repair, and after 16days make a very bed figure giving me the car back that after 40Km was damaged again!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
That happened also to me on my E46 M3 SMG... what happened was that the pump was faulty and not enough compressed air or something was getting to the gearbox so it wouldnt let me change gears - it didnt get enough air to be able to up or downshift... it would go into neutral on the highway while i was driving.. scary situation... finally found the problem after bringing it in 4 times.. my problem was everytime i brought it in the fault light went off so they couldnt find it when they did their scan... then by sheer luck it happened a block away from my dealer so i drove it right in and they found the problem and fixed it... never happened again..

·
Registered
178 Posts
My dealer called me with information that a sensor which determins if the "stick" is in neutral position should be changed.

Until today my car hasn't had this problem but I should change the sensor as fast as possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course I use l/c at 3400KM, the first time.

The dealer told me that they have to change all the gearbox, because BMW don't provide only the pump as spare parts, but they have to change all the gearbox.
Hope they do it as soon as possible.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board :cheers:

I hope this is not a common fault. I think you were just unlucky. Keep us informed about your progress.

·
Registered
178 Posts
mat10874 said:
Of course I use l/c at 3400KM, the first time.

The dealer told me that they have to change all the gearbox, because BMW don't provide only the pump as spare parts, but they have to change all the gearbox.
Hope they do it as soon as possible.
Check with your dealer I think it's only the switch which must be changed (it's a known problem from Bmw and they have contacted the dealers for this problem).

If the switch doesn't work anymore the car doesn't check that the gearbox is in neutral position so I think this will solve your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a problem like this and the dealer tried to find problem like 4 to 5 times.... Finalle they noticed that (I dont know the exact word) some sensor which measures side acceleration was unhooked. So they just plugged the wire back and the car has been working since...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Miikka79 said:
I had a problem like this and the dealer tried to find problem like 4 to 5 times.... Finalle they noticed that (I dont know the exact word) some sensor which measures side acceleration was unhooked. So they just plugged the wire back and the car has been working since...

Hope this helps.

Last saturday my car get again the problem.
Is past one week and the dealer don't tell me no any news, and this is very bad comportment from bmw.
Infact, on monday, with my lawer, I will write a letter to bmw Italy, this fact is unacceptable.
Is unacceptable especially that they don't tell me nothing, give me an alternativa car (a renault LAGUNA SW td!!!!!!!), and they have my car in their hand for more then 20days, without told me nothing.
I'm very disappointed with the dealer, and 1st of all will inform BMW ITALY.
Tks to everyone in this forum, that work better then bmw dealer....

·
Registered
829 Posts
Funny thing is that a friend of mine has a Laguna SW DTI and his has been in the shop for the past 2 weeks aswell because an axel in the gearbox broke, destoryed the complete gearbox and engine when the car came to a sudden forced halt.

The car nowhere near measures upto a M6, the least they could do is provide you with another BMW 5/6 series.

Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Common problem with Italy, almost no company can provide you with a decent support, and you will get treated unrespectful.

**** country imho. Thats why I am glad to live in South Tyrol (Alto Adige) which isn't italianized.
/rant off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts