BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

What exterior color is your M6 (through 2010)

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
we all know interlagos blue is the fastest.
Lol! Everyone knows Silverstone is is faster than Interlagos!! cherrsagai

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I signed up for My BMW today on the BMW USA website. After entering the last 7 digits of my VIN I find that I actually have Stratus Gray Metallic and not the Silver Gray Metallic the dealer placed on the window sticker. I confirmed the exterior color using the link to the VIN decoder located on the M5 Board.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I signed up for My BMW today on the BMW USA website. After entering the last 7 digits of my VIN I find that I actually have Stratus Gray Metallic and not the Silver Gray Metallic the dealer placed on the window sticker. I confirmed the exterior color using the link to the VIN decoder located on the M5 Board.
Stratus Gray is a great color (I had it on my 2005 645Ci) and under appreciated if you ask me. When the sun hits it, the golden undercoat lights off. The color should also be listed on a small plate in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the comments Mark! I do love the gold hue when the sun is shining. The car seems to change color as you approach it. You can't see the gold in the pictures I posted in my album.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thanks for the comments Mark! I do love the gold hue when the sun is shining. The car seems to change color as you approach it. You can't see the gold in the pictures I posted in my album.
I know, it is hard to photograph how nice Stratus Gold is when the sun is shining on it. A number of the "Individual" paints which have multiple colors are hard to photograph in order to show their two-tone nature (Ruby Black, Citrin Black, Diopside Black, even Moonstone). And while Stratus Gay was available as a standard color on 645s and M6s, it was also listed as an Individual color in the past (for other models). So in effect, you have an "Individual" paint at no extra charge.

Cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
All the other colors are BLAH (joking). zzzzzzzzzz
Seattle is full of gray, white, silver and black cars. Goes with the long periods of darkness and cloudy weather we have here!!!
IB is nice except when it turns purple.

INDY RED is where it's at! Hot, fast, obnoxious and irreverent. Did I mention the Indy Red's can actually hit 200mph after a good wax job.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Apologize for searing yaw'll retina's with the MASSIVE shot of Indy Red!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cant you guys post pics of all the colors? I've seen the M6 in like every color available but i dont know what all of them are called.. I know the alpine white and imola red but the rest of them are not as easy

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Factory M6 colors

Cant you guys post pics of all the colors? I've seen the M6 in like every color available but i dont know what all of them are called.. I know the alpine white and imola red but the rest of them are not as easy
The colors that I know of that BMW has painted (essentially "factory colors") M6s are:

Alpine White
Silverstone II
Silver Gray
Space Gray
Stratus Gray
Sepang Bronze
Indianapolis Red
Interlagos Blue
Monaco Blue
Sapphire Black
Carbon Black
Frozen Gray (matte - on the Competition Edition cars)
Imola Red (Individual / Special Order)
Moonstone (Individual)
Azurite Black (Individual)
Ruby Black (Individual)
Brilliant White (Individual)
Diopside Black (Individual)
Citrin Black (Individual)
Ontario Gold (Individual - 1 car)
Phoenix Yellow (Individual - 1 car)

There may be other Individual (special order) colors as well. I suggest you either use the search tool here on the Board or use Google Image Search with the colors named above.

For instance:

Google Images
(search term) BMW M6 Ontario Gold

and you can also constrain to a single website
(search term) BMW M6 Ontario Gold site:M5Board.com

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
thank you :D

so there is a Phoenix Yellow M6? saw an M3 e46 with that color a couple of days ago and it hit me that i haven't seen an M6 with it.. have to check that out

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
thank you :D

so there is a Phoenix Yellow M6? saw an M3 e46 with that color a couple of days ago and it hit me that i haven't seen an M6 with it.. have to check that out
There was only one. There is a photo of it somewhere on the Board. People thought it looked like a banana! I asked my contact at BMW M about the car when I was at the M Studio in 2009 and she told me the owner has other BMW M cars in Phoenix Yellow, so this was for his collection and that it did not look that bad in person. I think it was owned by a European, perhaps a German. But definitely a one-off done at the customer's request. It was not something BMW "offered" in a general sense like they have done with most of the Individual colors. The Ontario Gold color of my M6 was offered to me by BMW but they only painted a single customer 6 series car in that color (mine) so it is a unique paint job for an M6 but there are four 7 series in that color I was told (one in Germany and three in the Middle East).

Also, my list neglected Imola Red (which I just now added). More than one M6 has been painted that color. But it's pretty rare on an E63 (and I don't recall seeing any E64 Cabrios in that color).

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah, found the Phoenix Yellow car here on the board through a Google search, can't really decide if i like it or not, i think that i'd have to see it in front of me to decide

Phoenix M6

i've seen like two Imola Red M6's and both of them were coupes so it is really a rare color which i find strange since it's a REALLY beatiful color

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
yeah, found the Phoenix Yellow car here on the board through a Google search, can't really decide if i like it or not, i think that i'd have to see it in front of me to decide

Phoenix M6

i've seen like two Imola Red M6's and both of them were coupes so it is really a rare color which i find strange since it's a REALLY beatiful color
I agree regarding Imola Red. It was offered on the E39 M5s and then during the last year of production (2010) was offered on the Sport Package of the E63 650i but not on the E63 M6. But there were some Imola Red M6s painted by special order before it was offered on the 650i. Right now Imola Red can be ordered on the 650i and 640i (another set of non-M cars). So BMW is all over the place on Imola Red. Normally, when a color is exclusive to an M car, BMW will refuse to paint a non-M car in that color during the production life of the M car that has it. But it looks like Imola Red has transitioned to a non-M exclusive color. Which is kind of sad as previously Imola Red was THE RED for an M car.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Ruby Black - when the sun is shining...unfortunately it doesn't shine often enough here at the moment.
So what is you winter weather like now? Rainy, overcast, etc.?

Agree - a lot of the Individual paints only look really good in bright sunlight (so their undercoats show). My car does not have an undercoat, but still it needs the sun to look its best.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 42 Posts