BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a M6 2005 model (52.000 km), that I purchased second hand in 2006. Last year I experienced all kind of trouble with the engine. It started with the engine management lamp lightening up (yellow lamp with a engine symbol). I went to the dealer and after doing some measurement, they concluded that the engine was running on too low oil pressure and they replaced the oil pump (actually twice, as the first replacement had a malfunction). The yellow lamp went on again after a few weeks and the car went in again. This time they replaced the VANOS on the left cylinder bank. I drove that car for another few weeks and the yellow lamp started flickering again. They then replaced the VANOS on the right cylinder bank and told me that I would never see that yellow engine management lamp go on again. It took precisely two weeks for my car to think otherwise. As “usual” the yellow lamp lighted up again when I least wanted it. The car went back to dealer for yet an inspection. This time they back logged the car's history and they found out that there had been a call back for a high pressure oil pipe inside the engine that the previous owner had done too late with the consequence that the oil pipe had sprung. This had obviously caused some non reversible damage to the engine with the consequence that the car very often was running on too low oil pressure. The dealer made contact with the importer and agreed to replace the engine with a new one on warranty.
Hopefully I will now have a problem free car and I'm looking forward to break it in when I have it back mid February. I part of the story is of course that I been with out my baby for totally 10 weeks last twelve months and not been able to run it at full power when ever this dammed yellow lamp lighted up. Any one that have had similar problems? Was all of the early M6's tied up with problems on the oil pipe (factory call back)?
Per

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
I have not had this problem. However there is an BMW SIB (Service Information Bulletin) (12 09 07) if you have low oil vanos pressure to replace an internal hose on the S85 engine.

cherrsagai

1 - 2 of 2 Posts