BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys, here goes my first attempt at a DIY. This is the LED tail light installation--finally got around to it today. Too bad it was snowing out, so no chance to take the MONSTER out.. but of well... here goes. ENJOY cherrsagai

First start by getting your tools out. There are about a dozen push pins that you will need to remove. They hold the trunk trim in place. Nothing pretty hard but as you can see they are will require a flat head screw driver to remove.

Rear truck retainer:

Once you have these removed, pull back trim to expose tail light. Note there are 3 retaining bolts (2 are shown here). You can see the wiring harness as well, but more on that later.

Remove each of the 3 retaining bolts to free the tail light with a hex tool:

The tail light is now free. Note the 2 pins that retained the old tail light and the wiring harness.

Pull gently to free the old tail light from the wiring harness as shown:

Freedom at last!!! Old tail light removed and socket cleaned to accept new LED.

Before installation, here is a comparison of the 2 tail light. Old on top, new LED on bottom:

Fitting the new LED; be sure to seat the lens carefully and make sure there are no gaps. I found it was better to seat the top and front portion of the LED before setting the bottom/rear. this made for a closer fit. once you do that, secure the LED by using the old bold and nuts in the reverse order This is truly PLUG-N-PLAY, just insert the harness into the new LED.

Another image of the process:

Once it is all tightened up, do the other side and VIOLA!!!!:applause:

It is pretty hot mod for sure... look is great! Overall it should be only 30-45 minutes or less to do this. here is the video of the tail lights installed! You will notice on startup that the LEDs will flash once very quickly, but this is not a big deal. This is a routine check that the system does according to an earlier post

Stock Tail lights:
Stock M6 Tail light

LED Tail lights:
M6 LED installed

Sorry it took so long guys. Hoping to take the Monster out of hibernation really soon--isn't Winter over yet!!:confused2

·
Registered
249 Posts
Definatley need the 2008 headlights and taillights... The yellow signals and running lamps gotta go. I have white signals and white running lamps.. can i get the 2008 headlights and taillights and change the signals to a regular white bulb or you cant change the l.e.d's?

·
Registered
104 Posts
thanks for the write-up. now for the headlights =)

no, the 08 lights don't have bulbs to change out.. its all LED

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahahha... well that will be more of a challenge on the headlight--but I want them... will post once i have them here.. see how it goes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, $500 for both. There is a link on here.. but you can look up my other post with Evan from Tischer BMW.... He is AWESOME!

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Any one know if the secondary brake lights work still? Remember, more LEDs light up if you hit the brake hard.....I just want to make sure it still works with the swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts