BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Okay so I haven't done the screens yet, but my beast gas now developed more codes and a new smg problem.. The car is now making a wierd noise everytime I shift from 2 to 3, and I get the 4FA0 (smg: clutch, position deviation).. Could this mean my slave cylinder? Plcd or a shiftrod?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I will post the analog 1 and 3 values as soon as I'm able to, I'm just a little busy this week. Need to find a time window so I'm not rushing through things!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Take your time, just bring good info and detail. Video analog 3 when you shift 2-3 to see the solenoids.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have now tried to capture the values from analog 1 and 3 in INPA, everything seems to work as it should.
The video I shot with my phone was so off that it's no good, but at least I got the inpa screen okay, go to around 2min in and watch from there,it changes to second analog values in the video.
I'm starting to think it's my clutch and or clutch release bearing that's done?
Let me know what you think, with what I was able to bring for now! Thnaks!
SMG 3 inpa screen

·
Registered
856 Posts
I want to see the fault code page in INPA for all the faults you have. (print screen).

The solenoid sequence looks ok with the slave, you can also put the car in Neutral and press the brake and watch the PLCD if they drift after pressing the brake for a while could indicate slave leak. The pressure may showed some fast leakage at some point.

If the clutch and slave is original, it is time to just refresh everything , you may also replace the solenoids O'rings especially the clutch valve., also inspect the gear position wiring harness for any insulation degradation and repair as required, replace or overhaul the SMG pump motor, search the M5 forum for DIY's.

Post the fault codes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yeah sorry, I did save the codes but forgot to attach it yesterday..
The clutch has around 20.000km on it, and I've replaced the SMG pump motor myself only a few months back so that's new!
But I'm pretty sure everything else is original. So I think I might pull the tranny for new clutch, an ultrasonic clean of all solenoids reassembled with new o-rings, new clutch slave, new pivot-pin and fluids for the tranny and the smg system..
The codes should be attached this time!

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
20,000 km for the clutch means it is new, you may want to inspect the flywheel this time if it is original.
You have to inspect and test the flywheel for torsional play should not exceed 5 teeth, rocking play 1.6mm.
INspect the clutch for any damage, warp, defective pressure plate, clutch disk contamination, etc. For sure to replace the clutching mecahnism, fork, sleeve, pin, bearing, also inspect the pilot bearing for damage or play.

When you attach fault codes:
1- Before the test delete all the fault.
2- Simulate the failure.
3- Attach the fault that appeared. From general page like the one you submitted (nice to know all other faults). Like 2B10 is related to SMG. (access DME ECU> error then attach the fault details.
4- Attach the fault after you access each ECU related not only from the general fault page. There where you can find the details about the condition of the fault like 4F40.

Now only fault that related to SMG from the SMG ECU is 4F40 this a hydraulic pressure related, is that the only fault triggered when you have problem shifting? access the SMG ECU>error then capture the fault and attach it the details should be listed below the code.

Just before you are ready to drop the transmission, perform the SMG adaptation, see if you pass all of them or if they failed what is the test failure fault. I am trying to link DME fault 2B10 with torque monitoring to see why the DME triggered that fault also based on your finding after you drop the transmission.

Delete all fault simulate the problem and let's see what fault comes back, if it is only 4F40 means your main problem is pressure leakage and need to know what caused it.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts