BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
42 and 43 also seem to say they are not errors that are “available” at the moment but the warning light has been activated. 43 is excessive duty cycle on hydraulic unit and 42 is leakage in the hydraulic module. Like I said even it it were in English this is a bit cryptic.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Errr... no. Read TIS. Fluid is only to be checked when depressurized. Else you'll overfill and make the mess you're describing.
Top off according to the TIS with depressurize the system, the mess I am describing is when you bleed the system.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Flaco, in my case I seen some drops after bleeding so I clean them, but after bleeding finished no more oil dropping. Remember I have opened every single part in the the upper block but didn't have to unscrew the lower check valve, the pressure just hit right away, possibly lots of air pushing some oil out.
This block bleeding is very tricky task
If you can tell where the trapped air exit may be we can conclude some useful explanation.

·
Registered
856 Posts
From this screen shot, it is obvious there is no pressure for the system to operate, are those the fault right after the failure of engaging R and 1st gear? if so, that's explain why you can't engage gears, we need to know why the motor didn't kick in when the pressure start to drop to the minimum values. Is this only happen in this 2 gears only?
Just to confirm, drive the car while operating INPA for live data, watch the pressure, if it is a good pressure 50 bar and above stop the car and simulate the same situation and see if this failure happen, if it engage then you have an intermittent electric wiring problem. Why the car voltage is too low, is you alternator charging properly?
Check the big round connector on the right position of the transmission, check the SMG pump motor connector, and the clutch solenoid connector. I would also change the SMG (BLACK) relay.

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
And yes the SMG flash has been downloaded and some effort to tweak was made. I can't find the username thought it was Ferris.
I talked to him and he also has a backup SMG module and that’s the best route. He said he does have the tools to pull the bin off the eeprom and that’s where the adaptations would be but hasn’t done it, but has played with the flash files. For OP, that may be a worthwhile insurance policy, once you no longer need it you can just resell it. My logic is that these will always be in demand so you won’t lose money because SMG problems are not going to magically go away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I really appreciate the knowledge and time from you all in this, thanks! 🙏🏽

When I changed the motor I changed all the relays too, so they are also brand new. As for the 42 code, which is supposed to be a leakage, I might think that's from trapped air in the system or the oil level is too low. I sat so because the car had never done any dripping?

A wierd thing to mention is that the car change just fine between N and all gears when I'm driving, the problem is when the car is not moving and I change to N.. ?

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
Interesting. You can use INPA to manually command each gear while stationary, even with the engine off as long as you have sufficient external power. Since it is in diagnostic mode it will attempt to shift at 90 bar pressure instead of normal. This mode has INPA as the master controller and the SMG module so paddle shifters and gear lever are subordinated.

The "leckage" code isn't that helpful, but no reason to dispute it 3 bar is low. Could very well be an air pocket. Well it says it has a pressure issue, so I would look to log pressure and monitor the decay vs time. There is a guy in Finland that created a free program called Testo. It lets you log almost any CAN parameter over time. You may want to download that and log pressure, and actual gear vs time. Or just download a screen recorder and have it record your INPA analog values while you drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sorry it's been a while now, I had some family things I had to give all my attention the last month or so..

I've had some time to look a bit more into this now. So I recuced the pressure, checked the fluid level(it dripped out as soon as I loosened up the filling screw), I then did the actuator block bleeding 3 times(it passer with no faults all 3 times), I then preceeded to the slave clutch bleeding, did that 3 times and it passed that everytime too..
I now have one wierd question, when I did the block bleeding, the computer states that the pressure should go up to 40bar, and then it shows the pressure live from the pressure sensor while it's building up pressure again, and here the value was 2862bar..? The bleeding finished without any error codes, but from my point of view I would assume I then have a bad pressure sensor?
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
856 Posts
when I did the block bleeding, the computer states that the pressure should go up to 40bar, and then it shows the pressure live from the pressure sensor while it's building up pressure again, and here the value was 2862bar..?
Are you sure you were on the correct bleeding page? I don't think there is an indication of pressure during the bleeding process, Please send image of what you say or post a video on youtube and paste the link here.
I think you were on the Function structure to test the system pressure build up or pressure sensor test on ISTA?? If using INPA I wouldn't care if the bleeding passed. You can pressurize the pump manually and it will show the pressure on the same screen it should cut at 90 bar.

Follow my post #25 we need to know what is the pressure when the malfunction occur or screen shot of the triggered fault with the details providing the memory has no fault before this test.
if the pressure was low then we may think about the pressure sensor but only if the accumulator test pass.

Disconnect the pressure sensor plug and inspect it if it is clean and reconnect, do the same with connector that has the pressure sensor wiring on the right hand side of the transmission, do the same on the big round connector that hold all the wiring, do the same with the SMG ECU connectors, to role out any connectivity and intermittent electrical problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, I know for sure I was on the right page.. But I do understand why you question this, because right as you say inpa doesn't show this information. But I have a Foxwell handheld computer I always keeps in the M6, so if there pops up a problem when I'm far away from home I can connect and see whats going on.. I have done the bleeding procedure with both inpa and I did to with the Foxwell shows this information!
I don't drive my M6 during the winter, we have pretty extreme winters here in Denmark, so it stays parked inside at room temperatue. Unfortuneately the car is not stored nearby where I live, so I can't test or check amything before I get to building in a few weeks again...
A pain in the a** to Work with, at least right now!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanx for the update.
And yeah you must have a diagnostic devise in the car while driving, I do.
Ok whenever you have a chance, the concern is to capture the fault and the information that comes along with when it occur, if it is pressure issue we need to monitor the live data just before it happens and during the malfunction. If it happen everytime then it is not intermittent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi folks, sorry for my inactivity in here!
I have captured a picture of the "analog 3" screen in INPA, this is the one that shows the analog values for the PLCD, all shift solenoids alongside other components!
My concern was that it could be my PLCD that were shot, but the values for this seems to be just fine.
However there is one value that seems off to me, which is the power supplied to the shift solenoid 5/3..?
Any inputs on this? Thanks alot in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
You have values in all of them, don't expect all of them to be the same but none reads (-) or 0.mv and I don't think that what cause the problem.
Again I need to know the pressure when the fault occurred or the screen shot of the fault codes and details, you can view analog 3 when the fault during fault simulation and see if the solenoid go back and forth when it doesn't engage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanx for your quick reply platii !
Yes sir, I will try to capture some values when the problem happens and post them here for you. It's 2AM here in Denmark now, so I will do it tomorrow and get back to you!
I really appreciate your help and time on this, so once again tank you!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not much telling, only a drop then shot back to 61 bar in a fracture of a second, do it again and show analog 1 when you shift and describe what you did, then do the same with analog value 3 to see the solenoids and clutch position. Include the fault code and the details when the fault occurred..

21 - 40 of 48 Posts