BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
M6 2006 | ESS VT2 | IPE exhaust, 2ndary cats delete.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
If any one is interested to see the emission figures for a Straight Pipe setup (hi flow primary CATs, secondary CATs deleted), I've got the pics from the test.

"Prologue"
To register the car here in South Australia I have to obtain the Modification Plate since I have ESS Supercharger on it. So to get the Mod Plate I need to get the car "engineered" (an automotive engineer has to provide a report on all modifications and confirm they are legal and safe), and the car has to pass the Emissions Test.

"BEFORE" Set up:
high flow primary CATs, secondary CATs deleted
Emissions Test Failed

"AFTER" Set up:
Secondary CATs (Magnaflow EURO4 13" size) added
Resonators added
Emissions Test Passed

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for sharing. This is really interesting since I am in the UK and we too have an emissions test every year.

I am also ESS supercharged and currently fully catless, so no primary cats / no secondary cats and I am running an IPE Catback full exhaust system.

I get fumes and headaches especially when driving around town or idling in traffic or reversing. I had headaches even when I had stock secondary cats.

Do you think putting in some aftermarket secondary cats will reduce the smell? If so how much did the magnaflow set you back and where did you buy them from pls? My exhaust system is 3".

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
M6 2006 | ESS VT2 | IPE exhaust, 2ndary cats delete.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, yeah I got the cats from a local exhaust workshop here, they actually had to come from Sydney warehouse as apparently there is a shortage of these particular CATs in AU at the moment. They are round and hard to get, in comparison to oval ones (plenty of them around), but oval won't fit.
Costwise: AUD 485$ each, 2.5" size.
I've really notice a reduction in gasses, sound of exhaust is much quite now, on open valves (IPE valvetronic) it sounds like on closed valve on my Before Set up. Also a noticeable reduction in power, I no longer feel the harder punch when the SC kicks in after about 3500rpm, the punch is still there but noticeably weaker.
I've only put the cats to pass the emissions test, V10 should not sound like that out in a wild :)).
I will remove them once the car gets through the inspection. The cats are not welded, I asked the mechanic to put them on flanges with heat resistant bolts, so it will be easy to remove them and put normal pipes.
😎👍

·
Registered
671 Posts
You have IPE too?

See I was thinking of going down the RMS route whoch is stock decat headers with test pipes and it cones with cats too but is on a V band set up so I can switch between cats and test pipes for emissions etc. If I do that my plan would be do run straight through during summer so I can out windows down and let in fresh air, and go back to cats during winter. If I add any secondary cats I'm going to have to chop around with IPE which I don't really want to do but it's much much cheaper to do secondary cats.

Bummer really.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, I guess I can't really relate to this discussion. I live in California, with my 2010 E63 M6 6-speed coupe, fully smogged and stock. As a daily driver, the V10 507 bhp engine provides all the punch and power I need. Even though I get my car serviced at Bavarium in Mountain View (formerly it was known as Dinan), which is where my prior 1998 E36 M3 5-speed sedan was cared for for the 20 years I owned it and drove it, I have never felt the need to add any Dinan items, as I think what the M-folks did is just fine for me. In the SF Bay Area, I would not think about removing the cat.....although they are frequently stolen from Priuses out here.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
To register the car here in South Australia I have to obtain the Modification Plate since I have ESS Supercharger on it. So to get the Mod Plate I need to get the car "engineered" (an automotive engineer has to provide a report on all modifications and confirm they are legal and safe), and the car has to pass the Emissions Test. snaptube vidmate
Here in germany that is not necessary I don't get it why they demand that in Australia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts