BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First time poster, wondering if someone can guide me. I have a 2008 BMW M6 that is having issues with the DSC and ABS system.
Had car scanned with INPA for BMW, only 1 code are showing up in the DSC module
DSC - Error 5D93 - (Picture attached)
And I had one code in the EGS (SMG) module but cannot recall (I'm on a different laptop) but when I looked it up it was related to the front left wheel speed sensor.

After researching and finding out that both codes were related to the Front Left Wheel Speed Sensor.
First thing I did was swap the right and left around to see if it was the sensor. The error code did not follow, I did clear codes and once I left my driveway the same 5D93 came up. So I knew it was not the sensor. BUT for reassurance I purchased 2 new front wheel speed sensors from FCPEuro.
Sprayed inside the sensor hole with brake cleaner and electronic cleaner, installed both of them, cleared codes with INPA, dash was cleared of errors, pulled out of the driveway and 5D93 comes back again.

So I placed INPA next to me in the passenger seat and displayed the wheel speed sensor menu (km/h)
Interestingly, the FR, RR, RL were in perfect sync but FL wasn't moving until I reached about 50kmph or higher but even then it was logging no higher than 1kmph the highest I saw it go was 1.3kmph on the front left.

So sensor is alive and can sense something at a certain speed. What else can I check? Is it wiring? Reluctor ring?

Cheers 🍻

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Post INPA fault code full log for the fault 5D93.

To test precisely you need scope/signal generator to test if the reluctor ring, wiring, or DSC ECU is faulty.
Alternatively you can use multimeter and try to test signal on diode mode ACV, resistance while moving the wheel and compare it with other wheel. If signal is OK as right side, move to DSC ECU connector and measure the same as before at pin 45 and 46 for front left wheel to rule out wiring issue, if signal is OK the DSD ECU is bad.
For comparison, right front wheel pin 33 and 34 at the DSC ECU connector.

Note: For accurate reading for the speed sensor don't rely on after market cheap obd adapter, use INPA and access the DSC ECU live data and read wheel speed from the status page.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts