BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
jbajaria: The door speakers are not easy to do, and there is no plug and play replacement speaker out there yet to my knowledge.

Bavarian Soundwerks is supposed to come out with one but its now 2 years late on their release.

It is a 5 1/4" and if you go with an off the shelf 5 1/4" speaker - you will have to do some cutting and gluing.

I replaced mine with Polk 5 1/4" speakers. I am happy with the sound but it took a lot of cutting and hacking.

I recommend contacting Bavarian Soundwerks and perhaps they will be releasing their E63 speaker upgrade set soon.

Dan

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey Dan,
Great info on the speakers and replacements.
Are the door speakers and center midrange speakers the same size?
Are they the same speaker?
My problem is that one of my door speakers blew on my Logic 7 system. Now I need a decent cost effective replacement,
plus I hate the sound of that center midrange.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It is the same procedures as the tweeter replacement. Please see my post number 1 and open up the attachment.

Note: There is no direct plug and play door speakers for the M6 available out there so you will have to trim some plastic door parts and you will have to glue the speaker to the door panel.

Dan I am having a hard time finding a thread regarding a DIY on replacing the front door speakers on a M6. Can you please email me a link or a DIY. [email protected]

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi there Smokin Joe.

Yes, the door speakers and center speaker is the same size = 5.25"

The best replacement speaker out there in my opinion for a fair price are polk audio 5.25 coaxial speakers.
But again, they are not plug and play. BMW uses a stupid 3 hole design whereas normal speakers uses 4 screw mount design.
So you will have to do some cutting and gluing.

If you are interested, I have Logic 7 door speaker in my garage that I removed when I replaced my door speakers with Polk Audio coaxial speakers.
Make an offer?

Hey Dan,
Great info on the speakers and replacements.
Are the door speakers and center midrange speakers the same size?
Are they the same speaker?
My problem is that one of my door speakers blew on my Logic 7 system. Now I need a decent cost effective replacement,
plus I hate the sound of that center midrange.

·
Registered
569 Posts
good one, if anyone here wanna go in for the pair i def spilt it with you (PM me)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dan,

Thanks for that thorough instructions. I saw that and will consider tackling this job.
Those details are really appreciated by all on this board. I bet even dealers use these.

I have read some post that suggest the problem is the amp and only sounds like the door speaker.
The dealer said it was the speaker, but you know how on the ball these techs can be. Any thoughts?

Is it actually the same speaker for the center channel as the doors?
So if I bought 2 pairs of the same speaker, I could replace the center and doors, or does center channel speaker have
different specs?

Bavarian Soundwerks has a full speaker kit that lists these speakers as 100mm which is about 4"
That sounds too small.

I may take you up on that logic 7 speaker but honestly have no idea what to offer.
I'll PM you.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes, the door speakers and center speaker is the same size = 5.25"
Hey Dan, the center channel is 4" so not the same as the door, I just measured my old OEM center speaker and looked up the Focal 100ca1 speaker to confirm. I am reluctant to say this as you are always correct and I am afraid I am missing something!

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Ooops. sorry for the brain fart, ' getting old.

Mark is correct, speakers are 4".

Thanks for the correction Mark!

Dan

Hey Dan, the center channel is 4" so not the same as the door, I just measured my old OEM center speaker and looked up the Focal 100ca1 speaker to confirm. I am reluctant to say this as you are always correct and I am afraid I am missing something!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got the Bavarian Soundwerks package, which replaces all of the speakers. They are a perfect fit. It is a huge improvment over stock. That being said I have a convertible with RPI headers and Dinan exhaust so which is a bit loud. I really need to turn it up to enjoy the music.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dan,
With such helpful posts as yours, who cares if there is an occasional detail needing to be adjusted.

Anyway, does this mean that the door speakers are also 100mm (about 4") as Bavarian Soundwerks lists in their ad?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, all the speakers are 4 inch.

I used Polk DB401 to replace all mine.

Thanks!

Dan

I hate dragging old threads up but I just wanted to ask.

So you replaced the factory 4" midrange speakers with 4" coaxials. I have always heard not to do this but if it really sounds good I ain't mad. In fact it will make my speaker replacement much much easier and open up more replacement choices.

Can you tell us how much better (I know this is subjective) they sound. Any issues with now running 4 tweeters in the front plus 4 tweeters in back. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
BMW keeps using Nokia speakers. Nokia dont know squat about making good sounding speakers.

You cannot beat Polk Audio for the price as they sound really good.

Whoever tells you not to replace midrange with coaxials dont really know much......
Coaxials will sound better than single cone anyday, and at 4" size they are midrange.

How much better in sound? It is subjective, but for $200.00, I urge you to replace your 4" midrange with Polk coaxials, then report back please and let us know what you think.

Lots of folks here have done this upgrade and to the best of my knowledge they are all happy doing the upgrade.

Dan

I hate dragging old threads up but I just wanted to ask.

So you replaced the factory 4" midrange speakers with 4" coaxials. I have always heard not to do this but if it really sounds good I ain't mad. In fact it will make my speaker replacement much much easier and open up more replacement choices.

Can you tell us how much better (I know this is subjective) they sound. Any issues with now running 4 tweeters in the front plus 4 tweeters in back. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BMW keeps using Nokia speakers. Nokia dont know squat about making good sounding speakers.

You cannot beat Polk Audio for the price as they sound really good.

Whoever tells you not to replace midrange with coaxials dont really know much......
Coaxials will sound better than single cone anyday, and at 4" size they are midrange.

How much better in sound? It is subjective, but for $200.00, I urge you to replace your 4" midrange with Polk coaxials, then report back please and let us know what you think.

Lots of folks here have done this upgrade and to the best of my knowledge they are all happy doing the upgrade.

Dan

Very informative post. On car audio forums....coaxials are the "Devil"....Ha Ha

I'm gonna give it a shot. I already have my sub and an amp. I think it will be just fine for me as I am not trying to win any SQ competitions but it should be alot better than the factory speakers.

Last question......are your Polks 2ohm or 4ohm?

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Polk DB1001's are 4 ohms.

Here is the best deal I can find:

http://smile.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Polymer-Composite-Tweeters/dp/B000P0PF9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395801183&sr=8-1&keywords=POLK+DB1001

Dan

Very informative post. On car audio forums....coaxials are the "Devil"....Ha Ha

I'm gonna give it a shot. I already have my sub and an amp. I think it will be just fine for me as I am not trying to win any SQ competitions but it should be alot better than the factory speakers.

Last question......are your Polks 2ohm or 4ohm?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts