BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know this is controversial and I'd be the guy normally say 'really???' But does such a thing exist? I have just bought a new toy and whilst I live on the river she will occasionally need to come out.

This is my first boat as I'm a car person however i thought it rude not to living on the river... However since owning this (albeit a late '89) I will never complain about my m6s economy again... This 1600cc i6 does just 3-4mpg! £30 fuel in less than 20 miles...nice

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
398 Posts
Now I know this is controversial and I'd be the guy normally say 'really???' But does such a thing exist? I have just bought a new toy and whilst I live on the river she will occasionally need to come out.

This is my first boat as I'm a car person however i thought it rude not to living on the river... However since owning this (albeit a late '89) I will never complain about my m6s economy again... This 1600cc i6 does just 3-4mpg! £30 fuel in less than 20 miles...nice

congrats! :applause:
wow the mpg is crazy but i'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot
sometimes just cruising/sailing on a boat (no matter how big or small) gives you more satisfaction than driving :ziplip:
have fun with it!

John

·
Registered
464 Posts
Don't think towing with the M is something you even want to consider. Nice runabout... Those old Mercs got the nickname "tower of power" over here. Gas guzzlers for sure! I had a '90 135hp black max (V6) and swapped it for a '03 Suzuki 115 I4 4-stroke. I can go about 4 times as far on a tank of fuel now. No ethanol carb issues either.

·
Registered
464 Posts
4x as far wow that worth looking into then for sure - why is that because it's 4stroke or because it's 4cyl?

4 stroke + fuel injection makes it more efficient. There's a weight penalty for that though. An alternative is the ETec 2 strokes from Evinrude.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Running at low rpm what I will be doing 3/4 time (2000rpm ish) is there still that much difference?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Running at low rpm what I will be doing 3/4 time (2000rpm ish) is there still that much difference?
Yes, and they are quieter too (if that matters). But that's enough about that, this isn't an outboard forum! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have never seen a hitch that could be used on an M6, but they did make one for the 2004 and 2005 645. Some folks have installed these for bike racks or light duty towing. I know that whenever the subject comes up on the 6er forum that everyone screams at the top of their lungs that it is sacrilege to even think about towing anything with your BMW. But there are towing spec's in the manual, probably it is in yours also.

I don't know if this hitch would fit on your car, you might have to have one custom built, they aren't horribly expensive. That boat doesn't look terribly heavy. It would probably be the same drag on the car if you had a fat passenger and a couple of chubbie folks in the rear seat!

BMW 645Ci Trailer Hitch, 04-05 - Class I - By Curt Manufacturing

Or you could do like I did and buy another vehicle for towing and all around utility, plus some good ole' fashioned redneck fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
interesting...did anyone ever get that installed in an m6? Just curious

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I ended up buying a Range Rover for that job in the end so that's how I got to the bottom of it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts