BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After years of being absent, Munich is back to the segment of luxurious coupes now. With the all new 6-series, the Bavarian premium automaker offers an ingenious mixture of comfort and dynamic, in accordance with the core values of the brand. With the 333bhp engine, the 645i is already sufficiently powered, for a luxury Grand Tourismo, and 5.5 seconds for a 0-100km/h sprint is a decent rate to compete with any other convenience-focused coupes. The implantation of the M5 motor will certainly enable the Bavarian 2-door car to play in the league of purebred sports cars too. Thus it probably reaches the acceleration times of the Gallardo or the new Ferrari 430. Because, BMW's 10 cylinder motor generates respectable performance, in numbers: 507bhp.

Nonetheless there's an even more powerful version in preparation. With a fair degree of certainty, a second generation 10-cylinder power plant will be launched in the next years. Its crank shaft will revolve a few times more than the current 7750 rotations per minute of the recent stage. Regarding the latest information, the motor is going to reach a maximum rev rate of approximately 8300rpm. Thus, the crank mechanism transfers about 550 ponies to its vehicle's wheels. The question is: Which one will be the first to be powered by this engine. Of course, the coupe has priority to the 5-series sedan but, BMW considers another option. Reducing the weight of the 6-series, Munich could come out with a real Ferrari killer - unless the Ferrari is called 'Enzo', of course.

By the use of lightweight materials and the renunciation of features a super sports car doesn't necessarily need, the Six will lose significantly more mass than those few grammes of the additional CSL badges it will certainly get. Also, the M GmbH's laboratories are going to pay special attention to lateral acceleration. As M GmbH boss Herr Bruhnke recently said, the most feasible, usable potential is still hidden within this area. This surly refers to all forthcoming models but an M6 CSL would receive the most radical, most comprehensive chassis revision, sacrificing driving comfort to the benefit of astonishing cornering speeds.

Could it be ?

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
If the M6 already has a carbonfiber roof as standard, M GmbH are really going to have to work very hard to get the weight down on the M6 CSL...

·
Registered
123 Posts
kees said:
If the M6 already has a carbonfiber roof as standard, M GmbH are really going to have to work very hard to get the weight down on the M6 CSL...
According to Britain's Fifth Gear, the M3 CSL has no A/C, no radio, no electric seats and its "boot" has a cardboard bottom, literally. I guess that's one way they'll do it. ugh.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I will not be buying an M6 CSL if they threw out:-

- radio/CD/entertainment/communication
- leather seats with adjustments
- air conditioning
- weight saving interior materials, more plastic?
- fabric fittings elsewhere.
Thanks for the idea, but the "standard" M6 does me fine. The price of a M6 CSL can be spent on another performance monster.

·
Registered
462 Posts
CobraJet said:
According to Britain's Fifth Gear, the M3 CSL has no A/C, no radio, no electric seats and its "boot" has a cardboard bottom, literally. I guess that's one way they'll do it. ugh.

:nono: not all of them my CSL has A/C, CD, radio. its an option that you have.

:cheers:
Khalid

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
kees said:
It's easy, CF hood, CF trunk lid, CF doors, CF race seats, CF fenders, CF rear quarter panel, magnesium rims, titanium exhaust, etc. :)

Cheers,
/Johan

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Black M5 said:
Its crank shaft will revolve a few times more than the current 7750 rotations per minute of the recent stage. Regarding the latest information, the motor is going to reach a maximum rev rate of approximately 8300rpm.
IMHO, these two sentences make the whole article suspect. Red line on the existing V10 is 8250... not 7750. 8300 is only 50 rpm more than the existing redline, so i seriously doubt those 50 rpm are worth 50 hp.

·
Registered
816 Posts
How much faster can 50bhp do a M6 CSL? Assume they get the weight down from 1,700kg plus to 1,600kg, remembering there is a limit on how much they can save. It is also unlikely they will build the entire car using carbon fibre as that will drive up the price sky high and kill sales. So if a straight line run is about 4.6secs, they might get that down to what ... 4.2/4.3 secs? Not a big deal. The handling on the "standard" M6 is already supposed to be capable of "defining a new segment", using their inflated words.

·
Registered
704 Posts
vndkshn said:
IMHO, these two sentences make the whole article suspect. Red line on the existing V10 is 8250... not 7750. 8300 is only 50 rpm more than the existing redline, so i seriously doubt those 50 rpm are worth 50 hp.
For a car with a 8250 redline the hp/L figure of the M5 is not impressive. I still think cams would/will result in a good improvement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
M6 Forever said:
How much faster can 50bhp do a M6 CSL? Assume they get the weight down from 1,700kg plus to 1,600kg, remembering there is a limit on how much they can save. It is also unlikely they will build the entire car using carbon fibre as that will drive up the price sky high and kill sales. So if a straight line run is about 4.6secs, they might get that down to what ... 4.2/4.3 secs? Not a big deal. The handling on the "standard" M6 is already supposed to be capable of "defining a new segment", using their inflated words.
but look at the M3 CSL.
It's only 200 pounds lighter than the normal M3 and it performs in a whole different plane (albiet mainly due to its tires).

remember it's not just simply about how much weight you save, but also where you save the weight.

·
Registered
107 Posts
These claims of a 550hp keep cropping up but it reminds me strongly of all the rumours of a 450hp engine for the e39 M5 that kept appearing early in the lifespan of that car. As we know, it never happened.

I'll believe these 550hp claims when BMW announce it and not one second before for the following reasons; If it was a simple software modification, it would already be on the engine now as BMW knows that any number of chip suppliers would do it within weeks of the release, giving them no option but to put in hard modifications should the factory ever wish to supply a higher output model with any hope of selling it. Further, these guys who have designed and built this engine are not mugs, if it was dead simple with no reliability/tractability issues to extract another 10%, why the hell would it not already be there?

As to a CSL, it makes very little sense to me. These are big cars and to get any serious weight savings in % terms is going to take either stripping the interior to Lada levels ( unlikely with the positioning of the vehicle in the marketplace ) or replacing a huge swathe of components/panels with composites and exotic alloys ( cost says no here I feel )

While it is always nice to speculate, I just cannot see either of these things happening.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
AlphaLead said:
but look at the M3 CSL.
It's only 200 pounds lighter than the normal M3 and it performs in a whole different plane (albiet mainly due to its tires).

remember it's not just simply about how much weight you save, but also where you save the weight.
AlphaLead, I must say you're dead wrong in thinking that CSL's performance/handling difference is mainly due to its tires. When BMW talks about smart weight reduction (i.e. reducing weight from where it matters, lowering the CoG and all) they mean it. That's the difference between the M GMbH and a casual guy who tunes his own car. I wish you could drive one yourself to feel the difference.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I can't believe that a CSL version on a big, heavy, luxury GT car like the M6 makes good business sense unless BMW wants to go GT racing. Interestingly enough they indicated they may by homologating the M6 with FIA for 2006. That makes a M6 CSL a likely proposition. :hihi:

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Dirim said:
I can't believe that a CSL version on a big, heavy, luxury GT car like the M6 makes good business sense unless BMW wants to go GT racing. Interestingly enough they indicated they may by homologating the M6 with FIA for 2006. That makes a M6 CSL a likely proposition. :hihi:
They have already done exactly that. Have a look at this thread.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dirim said:
AlphaLead, I must say you're dead wrong in thinking that CSL's performance/handling difference is mainly due to its tires. When BMW talks about smart weight reduction (i.e. reducing weight from where it matters, lowering the CoG and all) they mean it. That's the difference between the M GMbH and a casual guy who tunes his own car. I wish you could drive one yourself to feel the difference.

Regards,
yeah, i wish i could drive it too, but i doubt i'll ever get the chance, as it'll never see the US =\

I believe you may have misunderstood what i was saying. I was merely acknowlegding that the tires do help the CSL perform better than the regular E46 M3. How much of the CSL's increase in performance is due solely to tires, I honestly do not know. I was simply stating that tires do play a role, as i was expecting a post to follow mine stating that the CSL runs a different tire than the regular E46 M3, allowing it to perform much better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the CSL, and I've yet to see a regular modified M3 perform to its levels regardless of mods.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
kees said:
They have already done exactly that. Have a look at this thread.
Hi Kees,

I know. That's what I was eluding to in fact. On the other hand, with BMW you never knowwhether it's a full commitment or not until they show up on the grid. They seem to have complicated decision making with lots of considerations. I hope it happens and we have something to cheerup since they continue to suck in F1. :sad1:

Cheers,

Ufuk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts