BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

this is my first post, so hey everybody. I just wanted some peoples opinions on this as its so hard to find stuff on the Alpina B6S. I'm in the market for new car. I've got about £85-90k to spend and really like the M6. I am a big BMW fan, my family car is a M5 touring and want to replace my other car with something more sporty (currently a4 cab).

If you had to choose between a M6 cab and an Alpina B6s what is the choice? I know the M6 has the huge V10 but the alpina has a monster V8 supercharged pushing more horsepower and torque, plus I think the styling is nicer. Yet I am really not sure which one to choose as the engines are so different?! I know this an M6 forum but guessed this was proabably the best place to post.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Welcome!

I would say if you already have a BMW M5 Touring as a family car, go for the Alpian B6S as the true Gran Turismo. It is faster and actualyl more frugal than the M6, makes an ideal car for cross continent travelling.

I will also copy this post top the Alpina Forum for replies.

See my video from the Alpina B6 S launch at Frankfurt last year:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104223

Alpina B5S Launch:

At last, but not the least, the third world premiere: The B6 S. The B6 S shares drivetrain with the B5 S, which means it has the updated version of the 4,4 litre V8 producing 530 bhp and the faster shifting gearbox. These changes makes the B6 S the fastest Alpina yet. How about 0-100 km/h in 4,5 seconds, 0-1000 m in 22,0 seconds and a top speed of 318 km/h.

As you may have noticed on the previous picture, the B6 S features a new bonnet. It´s made of carbon fibre, just like it is on the B12 5,7 Coupe. The main reason for the new bonnet is better cooling, hence the two vertical air outlets which allows air to exit precisely under the bonnet. At just under 10 kg, it´s also a little bit lighter than the standard bonnet.

Can you find the Alpina "badge" on this picture?

Another way the B6 S distinguishes from the B6, apart from the bonnet, is that it´s based on the facelifted 6-series. That means new lights front and rear, in similar style as the facelifted E60 has.

Just like the B5 S, the B6 S has the EDC-suspension. It also features 20" wheels as standard, but with the newer Dynamic-design. 19" wheels in classic-design is available as an option. Since the B6 S is a bit more sporty than the B5 S, it also has the limited slip diff as standard equipment (not the convertible though).

This particular car had a lovely champagne-coloured Alpina Lavalina leather interior with green piping and stitching. The possibilities for the interior is almost endless, or how about over 1000 different colours of Alcantara? BMW Individual offers six or seven. As standard the B6 S comes with Dakota leather in Alpina design.

The gear-lever is new for this model year and looks really good.

At 129100 Euro, the B6 S Convertible is the most expensive car in the Alpina line-up today. But what a nice car to drive the winding seaside roads from Monaco to S:t Tropez in. The Coupe costs 120400 Euro.

Hi,

this is my first post, so hey everybody. I just wanted some peoples opinions on this as its so hard to find stuff on the Alpina B6S. I'm in the market for new car. I've got about £85-90k to spend and really like the M6. I am a big BMW fan, my family car is a M5 touring and want to replace my other car with something more sporty (currently a4 cab).

If you had to choose between a M6 cab and an Alpina B6s what is the choice? I know the M6 has the huge V10 but the alpina has a monster V8 supercharged pushing more horsepower and torque, plus I think the styling is nicer. Yet I am really not sure which one to choose as the engines are so different?! I know this an M6 forum but guessed this was proabably the best place to post.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Stay away from the SMG!!! The Alpina B6S the whole way. Why? The suspension is less punishing for all-round driving. Abundant torque without having to "think" through theSMG tranny. No fear of dreaded SMG-Red Cog of Death showing up. Plenty fast and with the weight of the car, not the kind you can toss about anyways.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I have to agree. I had a terrible experience with the gearbox in my E60 M5 and the lack of torque was seriously annoying, especially around town. The B5/B6 are so much more exclusive as well. Depreciation-wise you're going to get stung unless you get a 911 but they're just so common.

Buying an Alpina in the UK is an 'interesting' experience since Sytners have the monopoly and you're not going to see much in the way of a discount. The man to talk to is Ged Scanlon at Sytner Nottingham - don't waste your time with any other branch or salesperson.

Of course, you could import a UK spec car from somewhere like Belgium but with the current exchange rate you would be worse off.

Go for the B6S - great car :goldcup:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Personally, in a toss-up between the M6 and B6S, especially in convertible form, the B6S wins every time. Neither is a sports car, but the M6 seems to kind of try to be, so loses out in terms of grand touring characteristics. The convertible, especially, should be looked at as a high/low-speed cruiser, which just suits the Alpina DNA so much better. Besides, the V8 sounds loooovely.

Depreciation will be savage on either car, especially with a recession coming. The Alpina will probably lose slightly more than the M6 in the short term, even if only because you'll inevitably be tempted to add some tasty bits from the Alpina options/trimming list.

In the very long term, the Alpina's probably got slightly better residuals than the common-as-muck (relatively) M6. Just like the residuals today of the B12 5.7 Coupe vs. its 850CSi cousin.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I honestly have to say there is no contest here - Alpina all the way. Hythe, very good point about the B12 5.7 Vs. the CSI and very true. You can get a CSI for as little as $18,000 USD, don't think you can land a B12 5.7 for that price (that is in one piece).

·
Registered
453 Posts
I honestly have to say there is no contest here - Alpina all the way. Hythe, very good point about the B12 5.7 Vs. the CSI and very true. You can get a CSI for as little as $18,000 USD, don't think you can land a B12 5.7 for that price (that is in one piece).

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
there is no match b6 cab all the way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts