BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Alpine White M6 6MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the 6MT E63 M6 came with the dreaded (for lack of a better word) clutch delay valve? From what I can tell in M3 and M5 forums, it seems like basically all the manual models came with it, and everyone who has modded their CDV says their cars shift better after the mod, specifically between 1st and 2nd gear, and when accelerating hard through all the gears. I've noticed that it's tough to get smooth shifts between 1st and 2nd, and I also sometimes get some jerkiness when shifting quickly in 5th and 6th.

Has anyone modded their CDV and noticed a difference? I feel like if I can make my shifts smoother for 30ish dollars its a no-brainer, but I want to make sure that there's actually one in there before I go order the part and bring it in to the shop

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,552 Posts
My CDV is long long long long long long long long long long long gone — about 9 years ago.
I don’t ever remember seeing one on my 6MT, in the 9 years I’ve owned the car.

Ripping through the gears has always been easy for me:

·
Registered
2008 Alpine White M6 6MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My CDV is long long long long long long long long long long long gone — about 9 years ago.
I don’t ever remember seeing one on my 6MT, in the 9 years I’ve owned the car.

Ripping through the gears has always been easy for me:
Little confused by what you mean...are you saying that there WAS a CDV in there and it was removed before you bought it? Or that it never had one to begin with? And do you know if that carries over for the M6? I know it's the same engine and tranny but I thought that maybe since they M6 wasn't originally offered with the 6MT that maybe they made some minor changes. Also not sure if this is just in my head, but it feels to me like the shift between 1st and 2nd is smoother when I start to pull into neutral BEFORE I step on the clutch, which just seems to go against everything I was taught when I learned how to drive a stick 8 years ago lol

BTW that sounds really good 👌

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,552 Posts
Little confused by what you mean...are you saying that there WAS a CDV in there and it was removed before you bought it? Or that it never had one to begin with? And do you know if that carries over for the M6? I know it's the same engine and tranny but I thought that maybe since they M6 wasn't originally offered with the 6MT that maybe they made some minor changes. Also not sure if this is just in my head, but it feels to me like the shift between 1st and 2nd is smoother when I start to pull into neutral BEFORE I step on the clutch, which just seems to go against everything I was taught when I learned how to drive a stick 8 years ago lol

BTW that sounds really good 👌
I'm confused too. I always thought the m5s never came with a CDV, but then I heard they did. I've had my car for the past 9 years and I've never seen a CDV. My e39m5 never had one either.

The only time my transmission is rough 1 to 2 is when it's cold. It warms up within a mile or two from the house -- then it's smooth.

·
Registered
2008 Alpine White M6 6MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confused too. I always thought the m5s never came with a CDV, but then I heard they did. I've had my car for the past 9 years and I've never seen a CDV. My e39m5 never had one either.

The only time my transmission is rough 1 to 2 is when it's cold. It warms up within a mile or two from the house -- then it's smooth.
Yeah I've also noticed it smooths out once it's warmed up. Maybe I'm just paranoid, having a car like this messes with your mental health XD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts