BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reading the Autocar UK review just posted, they gave the brakes a 3/5 stars rating. Ratings aside, the brake discs are also smaller than the M5's: 348mm front and 345mm rear (M6) versus 374mm front and 370mm rear (M5). Sure there is more to brakes' technology than just the size of the discs.

Is this another example of weight saving coming in every possible area of the car? Even though the M6 is lighter than the M5 (not by that much), are the brakes justifiably "weaker"? It seems that the brakes are the only serious downside issue coming out of the Autocar review.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
457 Posts
The size of the brake disc (plane and thickness) determines how much heat it can take before the brakes start to fade; the skinny spokes of the M6 rims help to better cool the discs. I think the breaking performance of the M6 is very good (for a car with that weight) but becomes a problem after sereval laps on the track – if you really push the car to it's limit. We have to sit and wait for the Sport Auto M6 Supertest and should not rush to conclusions; the Autocar report only gives us a subjective impression. Of cause, in a long distance race the M6 doesn't stand a chance against a car with ceramic brakes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The BMW parts system shows the M6 uses the exact same brakes as the M5 ( same part numbers )

Front 374x36
Rear 370X24

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think Gerhard Richter said in an interview that they could do 3 laps on the Nuerburgring without brake fade, if that`s correct I think it`s more than enough for an average driver :wroom:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks. I never seriously doubted that the brakes are inferior but it's odd reading these papers when every now and then they say similar things.

I am likely not to track the car and am not concerned about average street use. Still, it is of use to get to the bottom of this.

By the way, I quite like the skinny 5 spoke wheels now. I will happily settle for them. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Thanks. I never seriously doubted that the brakes are inferior but it's odd reading these papers when every now and then they say similar things.

I am likely not to track the car and am not concerned about average street use. Still, it is of use to get to the bottom of this.

By the way, I quite like the skinny 5 spoke wheels now. I will happily settle for them. :)
If you don´t need good brakes why should you spend money on a carbon roof, engine with 507 hp, ....? All or nothing.

AM

·
Registered
457 Posts
asturias said:
I think Gerhard Richter said in an interview that they could do 3 laps on the Nuerburgring without brake fade, if that`s correct I think it`s more than enough for an average driver :wroom:
He said: "The M6 can cope with 5 or 6 laps of the Ring with no problems with brake fade." That's a distance of ~110 km.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mumbasic said:
If you don´t need good brakes why should you spend money on a carbon roof, engine with 507 hp, ....? All or nothing.

AM
Did I ever write I don't need good brakes? I think not. I'm spending the money on what BMW's traditionally are: awesome driving cars with great handling, with decent luxury that continuously do not bore me. That is why it is potentially concerning if the brakes are not up to the standard which the rest of the package might be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts