BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen pictures indicating introduction in the fall of 2001 of "the new M6" at, http://www.automedia-online.de/e_spion_menu.htm
It´s supposed to challenge Ferrari 456 and Maserati 3200 GT.
It surelly looks sharp!!!
Is there anybody that knows more? I have asked my dealer, who looks like a ?-mark.
Greatful for input.
//svard

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Wow, now this is cool. I see elements of the Z series both 3 and 8. I see a styling element which compares with the CLK elements. Folks, I think we're seeing the future 5 series.

Sloping front end, Z8 type lights and that 507 fender grill on the side. Can't say for the back, but this would be a major styling change that would date all previous 3,5,and 7's.

Late 2001 sounds to early though with the new Seven coming out. Do we know when the 7 is due? This pic may have some prototype elements, I don't know. But I like it.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Jim,

I do not think this is a new 5 series, rather a return of the 6-series. In my point of view, an awesome return!
Also heared that it would come with a 12 cylinder 550hp engine. Just imagine what that would mean in terms of adrenaline.

//Chris

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Chris

I didn't make myself clear. Some of these elements may appear in the next five taking advantage of the basic structual platform of the 5 this 6 series is based on. I don't think the Z fender grill will be one of them but the sloping front end may. The engine may be an inhanced version of the M5 engine of ours today.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Beauty! I'll take the hardtop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Jim Dolan:
Chris

I didn't make myself clear. Some of these elements may appear in the next five taking advantage of the basic structual platform of the 5 this 6 series is based on. I don't think the Z fender grill will be one of them but the sloping front end may. The engine may be an inhanced version of the M5 engine of ours today.
Jim

I agree with you and disagree. Personally I belive that the long bonnet will be characteristic to a new 6-serie, however some of the lines will most definitly be there on a new 5-serie.
As to the introduction date, I belive this has nothing to do with the new 7-series. It's just not the same target group. However, fall 2001 is not that far away and so far I have not seen or heard anything exept for these pictures.
On the other hand a new 6-series model seems to me have been lacking for many years now. The 8-series did not really naturally replace the old 6-serie.
Question is that it will definitly hit sales on current M program not to mention 8-series and is this making more sence profit-wise.

Maybe you are right about the engine. It's a nice thought. After all the 12 cylinder was never a great hit.

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone noticed how the 10/99 version of the new 7 series is so diff from the 6/98 version. At least the 3/4 front view is, and the rear of the new 7 series is completely horrible. They copied the 3 series rear end. Those lights and the shape are not fit for the 7 series. They should've kept the old lights...much better design. These new lights bring about the feel of the 3 series. I wonder what the final product will look like...The new design does have potential. It looks good...space age like.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I can assure you, neither of those designs are even close to what the new 7 is going to look like. The first two were just morphs of the 3-series when it came out in 1998. The last pic is that of the Rolls Royce that was being tested (they are/were owned by BMW.. I can't keep up with their transactions anymore). If you notice, the front headlights seem raised off the bumper. That's because they were making space for that huge RR grille.
For current spy pics/renditions of the 7, take a look by following this link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts