BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who have taken your M5 to a track, what do you think of the car's high-speed stability? That is, how well does it stay planted to the road in a high-speed sweeping turn?

Is it my imagination, or does the car get a little light feeling at 100-120mph; particularly in the rear?

Has anyone entered a high-speed (100MPH+) turn a little too fast and experienced any drop-throttle oversteer? (i.e. the rear-end stepping out when you let off the gas going into a turn) How about a tap on the brakes? Does that upset the rear-end or does it stay put?

Rick

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Haven't taken the M5 to the track, but have taken it to the Autobahn.

It was very stable at 125mph. Didn't spend enough time above that to be able to tell much (too much traffic.)

Our 540i is very stable through a local freeway sweeper at 115mph, which is as fast as I care to run that turn in any car.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
There's a nice freeway turn which goes through a tunnel around here (92 west to 280 south for those int he B.A.), which I've taken at 140. Felt like it was glued to the road, although i had the sweeping effect help me through.

--Dan

·
Registered
722 Posts
Since the M5 can be ordered with or without the rear spoiler, discussions of how the car handles at speed, and in particular how light the rear ends becomes, should include information as to whether a given car carries a rear spoiler. If this spoiler confers stablity at speed, I'd be interested to know the speed at which this benefit becomes noticeable, since I'll soon be ordering my M5.

Richard

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My car does have the spoiler, as mentioned below a fair amount of time around 125, one brief shot up to ~150 thus far, no stability problems noted at those speeds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
From a passengers point of view... the m5 seemed to stick right to the ground at 130mph. Been in more high performance oriented (aka, mustangs, camaros, impala SS, etc.) that didn't feel quite as sticky.

The Mass Pike at 130mph was very stable... and the m5 I was in had the spoiler. Subjectively speaking... it never really felt like the car was about to lose control, had total trust in it.

- matt -

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Where on the Mass Pike did you get to hit 130?!? It must have been at 4 a.m., because Massachusetts drivers are so much more timid than I'm used to. I've been up here for a year now, and I yearn for Florida roads again. On I-75, you can cruise at 85-90 so easily (speed limit is 70)... and kick it up to triple digit speeds on open stretches, and no one gets spooked. But the Mass Pike is filled with people who start pissing in their pants and hit their brakes whenever another car gets within 20 yards.. at 60 mph!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Holger, are you saying the car gets loose at that speed and could be dangerous. Are the brakes fading at those speeds?

Please explain..

Get mine approx. 2 times a month to the limit of 185mph. At this speed every irregularity on the road e.g. humps etc. are horrible and if the rpm limiter catch you in the sixth gear and you didn't have planned it it's also a pain to keep the 2 tons on the street. Not to saw something about the poor brakes...[/QUOTE]

------------------
Jim

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Areas can be found, Anzir
You just gotta find 'em.

There is no doubt you can't zoom around Boston - there's just too much traffic and our statie's are out to kill. Tickets=Revenue and that's what the state wants!

-Chris

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have had my car to Texas World Speedway and the car was incredibly stable at high speed turns. I am talking the tires howling at 100+ MPH and taking turn one at 110 to 120 MPH with no effort. The car sticks much better than my M3 on high speed corners. Obviously, on the lower speed tight corners it tends to push more. The car hit close to 140 on the long straight and was like a rock.

I have had the car with 4 people in it on the toll road up to 155 MPH and everyone was amazed at how smooth and stable the car was. I even took then through some sweepers at 120 or so and the car on rails.

BTW, I do have the spoiler.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get mine approx. 2 times a month to the limit of 185mph. At this speed every irregularity on the road e.g. humps etc. are horrible and if the rpm limiter catch you in the sixth gear and you didn't have planned it it's also a pain to keep the 2 tons on the street. Not to saw something about the poor brakes...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took my car to Vegas last weekend and had a couple of 155mph runs. The car felt fantastic up to about 135 and then it felt a little nervous after that. It was however much better than my wife's 996 coupe.

I've taken my 993tt 180+ and I'd be willing to bet the 993tt is more stable at 180 than the M5 is at 150.

·
Registered
122 Posts
take a pass around exit 6...

...right after rush or before.

It's usually not bad...

Also, in Chicopee, take a left after burnett rd., at the 3rd gas station (coming from the pike). That road right there is about 10 - 20 miles long... a lot of straights, a lot of twisties. I swear by it, the premier spot to run a car hard in MA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts