BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I've seen completely stock M5 do 2:25:xx, I'd expect you can go faster. If you're consistently hitting traffic on track, just ask to be bumped up a run group, it's more or less done by lap time once you've paid your dues.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes, the basic group can pass along the back straight and possibly between 3 and 4. The advanced group can pass between 10 and 1, front straight, 3 and 4, and the back straight. For the most part the spacing is good enough that it is not an issue. With your experience you should easily be able to get a checkout for the A group where the drivers are better at letting the others through and more places to pass.
Signed up!! I spoke with Desmond @ JRP, he mentioned that many of the people still in the beginners group have been to Mosport 15+ times so I am not sure if I will qualify for advanced! But we will see! See you there, hopefully at the BMW event as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Missed the event yesterday :mad:

Did the tech on the weekend and discovered a bad front wheel bearing. Despite throwing loads of cash at the shipping it did not make it. Lesson learned...do the tech early so if you find something you have time to fix it! ouich

I hope everyone had fun.

Regards; Doug

·
Registered
492 Posts
Doug, I'm sorry to hear about the bearing. It was lots of fun, organized well. I met another E39 M5 owner who was there with a 600rwhp CTS-V which I got a ride in - wow!

Had a few crashes, a VW Golf blew its engine and sent a Caymen R and a Z3M behind him spinning. The Caymen hit the wall unfortunately. This was the first time I've been at Mosport big track on a "lapping day" as opposed to a school. A lot more freedom which was nice but also sometimes scary as there are a lot more variables and you really have to be weary of other drivers skills. Got some good GoPro footage which I have to compile and post.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Cayman hit the wall??
That really sucks.
600rwhp CTS-V? Nice. I'm assuming it had a 6.2 Blown LSA engine?

How did the e39 M5 owner compare the two rides?
The problem I found with the CTS-V - at least comparing the 1st gen to the e39 was that it was really not refined at all.
Despite the numbers for performance, weight, and everything making the two almost identical on paper - the e39 was by far the better drive - not to mention the better looking car.

With the Gen 2 CTS-V you have a platform to modify and get silly HP for relatively cheap.

Although - as you have seen - even a horsepower track such as Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) can reveal that good lap times is not all about how much HP you have. My target is still the basically stock playboy series MX-5 cup cars with 170HP qualifying at 1:35. Take a look at the allowed modifications
Parts List

Stock engine with Cold Air Intake
Stock 6 speed transmission and ratios.
Stock Brake rotor size
17x7" wheels with 225/45/17 BFGoodrich R1 tires.

What kind of cars and how many came out for the JRP day?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
5 Participants
OsinO
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing