BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have quickly discovered that I now need to use the Urban Dictionary to decipher some of the posts. This is a great "value add" for my education. If, and when, I have grandkids, I will be able to better communicate with them. :applause::applause:

I don't know what I would do if I didn't know what syke (thanks Robert cherrsagai) and keed meant?

Disclaimer: For those of you that think I am being derogatory, well.... it's an attempt to be funny. Sometimes Irish humour is misunderstood...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes. Absolutely agree about the Urban Dictionary. I have used it many times to understand some of the shorthand typing. I figure quite a bit of the shorthand comes from the phone texting community.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I'm 25 and I have been "online" pretty much since the beginning... and I sill have trouble with some of the shorthand. lol :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
lol ud ftw, btw imho ppl atm overuse it.

:blabla:

·
Registered
81 Posts
lol ud ftw, btw imho ppl atm overuse it.

:blabla:

:1:

Nice quote in your sig. by the way Kmac... lol I think I'd have to marry her too :cheers:

Reactions: Kmac

·
Registered
543 Posts
yeah - bit more to that story also.

She is keeping her job after the baby was born (two days ago lol) so I can pay for the mods on the M3, because the budget is gonna be devoured by the new M5.

lovelove

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
She is keeping her job after the baby was born (two days ago lol) so I can pay for the mods on the M3, because the budget is gonna be devoured by the new M5.

lovelove
Congratulations on the baby! Hey, if she's had two days rest, she should be more than ready to get back to work to help pay for the M.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Congrats on the new arrival as well.

I can tell you from personal experience that the beast holds two car seats quite well and there is room in the trunk for some stuff even with a spare tire.

Have fun and congrats again.

Michael

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Just my $ 0.028 (current recession) ...

I have been using personal computers for over 25 years (and I worked for I.B.M. for 17 years). I have never been very good with acronyms ... Ha, I.B.M. had a "few." (They may have even coined the term, acronym.)

But, I don't see it as a problem here ... if you can't understand what someone is trying to say, it is THEIR LOSS, not yours ... (Hard headed, I guess!) But, it is maddening ...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just my $ 0.028 (current recession) ...

I have been using personal computers for over 25 years (and I worked for I.B.M. for 17 years). I have never been very good with acronyms ... Ha, I.B.M. had a "few." (They may have even coined the term, acronym.)

But, I don't see it as a problem here ... if you can't understand what someone is trying to say, it is THEIR LOSS, not yours ... (Hard headed, I guess!) But, it is maddening ...
Jclyman,

At least you are using your personal computer (PC). Because I tell ya, if you had shortened that up for this forum, I would have thought you meant using your Porter Cable (PC). :hihi:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Words not Acronmys

Actually, I was referring the "new words" not acronyms. Acronyms usually translate into words I have at least heard of before.

These new words typically don't appear in the mainstream dictionaries but can be found in the Urban Dictionary.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I get it, the JCL in jclyman stands for Job Control Language.:applause:

Began my IT (Idiot Technology) career as an Assembler programmer, so I very familiar with IBM and how different Divisions use the same acronym to mean different things. I am sure that after 17 years you know that IBM stands for "I've Been Moved.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Jclyman,

At least you are using your personal computer (PC). Because I tell ya, if you had shortened that up for this forum, I would have thought you meant using your Porter Cable (PC). :hihi:
See what I mean?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Actually, I was referring the "new words" not acronyms. Acronyms usually translate into words I have at least heard of before.

These new words typically don't appear in the mainstream dictionaries but can be found in the Urban Dictionary.
My point is still valid. If you want to be heard, you have to speak a "common" language.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Now I get it, the JCL in jclyman stands for Job Control Language.:applause:
That will work ...

Began my IT (Idiot Technology) career as an Assembler programmer, ...
Actually, I HAD to learn 5 languages (aside from acronyms). ACL (which I prefer), Fortran (which I used a lot, 'cause it was easy for an engineering reject), COBOL (which was trash, in my humble opinion), and PL1 (which I kinda struggled with), and my absolute favorite ... machine language. I was really good at writing machine language. And, I considered it fun!

... so I very familiar with IBM and how different Divisions use the same acronym to mean different things.
TRUE ... and, sometimes a problem ...

I am sure that after 17 years you know that IBM stands for "I've Been Moved.
Yea, I'd heard that, but I prefer to think of them as 1 B M ... just kidding, as I loved working with them. Best job I ever had, and I've had a few ...

John.

·
10,456 Posts
I don't know what I would do if I didn't know what syke (thanks Robert cherrsagai) and keed meant?

:
isn't it psyche, or is this a different word?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
isn't it psyche, or is this a different word?
No, it is syke. Got this from Fast 5 (Robert)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=syke

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="def_number" width="20">2.</td> <td class="def_word">syke</td> <td class="def_thumbs"> <table style="margin-left: auto;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3"><tbody><tr> <td></td> <td nowrap="nowrap">80 up, 47 down</td> <td></td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2"> Basicly street slang for pretending, used in place of "playin" or "jokin"
yo momma just fell down the stoop... SYKE !
by Syke Jun 30, 2003 email it

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td class="def_number" width="20">3.</td> <td class="def_word">syke</td> <td class="def_thumbs"> <table style="margin-left: auto;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3"><tbody><tr> <td></td> <td nowrap="nowrap">43 up, 33 down</td> <td></td> </tr></tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td colspan="2"> The slang expression to say "just kidding!" after telling one an untruthful statement.
"Yo momma ain't black...SYKE!"
"Monkeys fly outa yo momma's butt...SYKE!"
"Penguins ate my family...SYKE!"

</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
10,456 Posts
ok looked up psyche and they are both acceptable variations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts