BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
does anybody know where I can purchase or download a full workshop manual for my 01 UK M5 ?
Shanks:M5launch:

·
Banned
386 Posts
shanks said:
Hi all,
does anybody know where I can purchase or download a full workshop manual for my 01 UK M5 ?
Shanks:M5launch:
Its called Bentley Manual.... not sure where you can buy it.... just do a search and it will come up.
They run for around $130
Good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cali6869 said:
Its called Bentley Manual.... not sure where you can buy it.... just do a search and it will come up.
They run for around $130
Good luck
Thanks, i'll give it a go
regards

·
Registered
444 Posts
The E39 Bentley manual does NOT explicitly cover the M5 model. In particular it does not cover the S62 engine.

This being said, the Bentley manual is the most cost-effective resource that is readily available for the M5. Much of the rest of the car is quite similar to the 540i, which is covered, and things like the exhaust are obvious. I find that the wiring diagrams, the DME functions and the fault codes are close enough to be very helpful, and so far I have been able to figure out the M5-specific aspects that are missing.

I contacted Bentley and inquired as to whether there was any plan to cover the M5, or to issue a supplement to the existing manual. The answer was no in that there were too few cars ~16,000 worldwide to make this an economic prospect. The answer further implied that M5 owners are not typically viewed as DIY types who would buy the manual (in common with buyers of other top-end models).

I have also found that if I learn what is in the Bentley manual on a particular topic and still need a little more info, my SA will usually fill in the rest using the factory TIS (Technical Instruction Sheet) if I ask nicely.

As a final resort, BMW will sell a 24-hour access pass to its service information for a few hundred $. One would want to have collected a number of topics where informationis needed, and be aware that the BMW way of organizing (especially electrical) information is not intuitive (the organization of the Bentley manual will help here). Also many of the instructions require access to the BMW super diagnostic computer system. This access to factory service information is a recent development, as independent service shops were complaining about lack of access and this arrangement was offered by BMW to prevent the government from mandating free access for all. There is also an annual pass that costs $10,000, if I recall.

We will probably need to wait until the E39 gets old enough (20 years or so) to be covered by the BMW Legacy program for complete factory service information.

IMO, with the Bentley manual plus a fair knowledge of what I will call the "BMW Way" in the post-E34/E36/E38 era, one can pretty much figure it out. The VANOS hardware has evolved a bit (and continues to evolve); E46 information is useful here. There are a few places where you really do need the special tools.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help Dick,

I have seen workshop manuals advertised on E Bay from time to time, I may give one of these a go, the are pitched as being copies of the factory manuals on CD 1999-2003 M5 S62 ,not seen what they have gone for though.
Regards
Shanks
RRoberts said:
The E39 Bentley manual does NOT explicitly cover the M5 model. In particular it does not cover the S62 engine.

This being said, the Bentley manual is the most cost-effective resource that is readily available for the M5. Much of the rest of the car is quite similar to the 540i, which is covered, and things like the exhaust are obvious. I find that the wiring diagrams, the DME functions and the fault codes are close enough to be very helpful, and so far I have been able to figure out the M5-specific aspects that are missing.

I contacted Bentley and inquired as to whether there was any plan to cover the M5, or to issue a supplement to the existing manual. The answer was no in that there were too few cars ~16,000 worldwide to make this an economic prospect. The answer further implied that M5 owners are not typically viewed as DIY types who would buy the manual (in common with buyers of other top-end models).

I have also found that if I learn what is in the Bentley manual on a particular topic and still need a little more info, my SA will usually fill in the rest using the factory TIS (Technical Instruction Sheet) if I ask nicely.

As a final resort, BMW will sell a 24-hour access pass to its service information for a few hundred $. One would want to have collected a number of topics where informationis needed, and be aware that the BMW way of organizing (especially electrical) information is not intuitive (the organization of the Bentley manual will help here). Also many of the instructions require access to the BMW super diagnostic computer system. This access to factory service information is a recent development, as independent service shops were complaining about lack of access and this arrangement was offered by BMW to prevent the government from mandating free access for all. There is also an annual pass that costs $10,000, if I recall.

We will probably need to wait until the E39 gets old enough (20 years or so) to be covered by the BMW Legacy program for complete factory service information.

IMO, with the Bentley manual plus a fair knowledge of what I will call the "BMW Way" in the post-E34/E36/E38 era, one can pretty much figure it out. The VANOS hardware has evolved a bit (and continues to evolve); E46 information is useful here. There are a few places where you really do need the special tools.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
121 Posts
S62 tech. info official sources?

So, the question is: what are your resources for when you serious DIYers dive in to redo your VANOS and/or cylinder head guts? (Bentley is N/A on this). I do have a call into my super-friendly dealer to see what can be released from them (still waiting) but are their alternative sources - other that the M5Board tutorials which are magnificent in their own way, by the way!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
For most people here it is this board. You can also use TIS.

Although, I see that spaghetticoder no longer has BMW TIS. Has anyone else noticed this??

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Yes has been noticed. There is a thread on it. I posted alts for WDS and TIS. You got to spend less time working and read the board more often. Work will always be there because no one will do it for you, but threads move on to page 2 where I am sure they are lost forever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts