BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be room to fit a supercharger on the M5? And, what kind of performance improvement would it bring?

Just putting a supercharger on the car should bring it up to 600HP without too much trouble.

Are the aftermarketeers already developing such toys for this car?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I think Nowack are working on a N600. Let's hope it's better built than the N500 :cool2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.m-forum.de/forum/showthread.php%3Fgoto%3Dlastpost%26t%3D3920&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnowack%2Bn600%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

The above link is a discussion on a German M3 forum about the subject. The translation is gibberish, but anyone who speaks German could translate from the original.

From what I can discern, they seem to think the V-10 can be teased out to 600-650 HP. There are some concerns, but I cant figure out what they are from the translation.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The new V10 with a SC... Kablamo is all I can see happening! With that high of a compression ratio, there would have to be some serious developmental work on the block and software. But I am sure we will see some tuning products within 4-5 months after the release of the M5.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
There is no way a supercharger could be installed with the compression ratio, and in addition any sort of forced induction is out in stock form for the S65. By reducing the CR you could possibly do it as some E39's who are installing superchargers are doing.

From what i can see of the S65 and know of its construction, headers, exhaust, intake (but thats going to be REALLY HARD. Take a look at the setup) and software. I would say 550-600 is absolute max.

B

·
0 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
There is no way a supercharger could be installed with the compression ratio, and in addition any sort of forced induction is out in stock form for the S65. By reducing the CR you could possibly do it as some E39's who are installing superchargers are doing.

From what i can see of the S65 and know of its construction, headers, exhaust, intake (but thats going to be REALLY HARD. Take a look at the setup) and software. I would say 550-600 is absolute max.
Are you implying that you and BlackM5 will have the fastest M5s ever, now and in the future? :wroom:

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
daniel,

i would love to say that for sure...but after looking at the layout of the s65 in the M5's engine bay, it looks to be quite difficult to do.

That however, is not to say that a company with a very larger repution could not produce such a product. The s65 would have to be pulled apart to run new pistons, as you are talking about 1.5cR points above even that of the E39 m5.

I think..a small thought i must admit...this would be a prime canidate for a TT setup because of the very split sides of the intake plenum that BMW has apparently decided to run on the car.

Each respective intake runs to a bank of velocity stacks, not like our beloved E39's did. This would mean that any FI'ed application would neccecitate the need for two compressor sets. Twin supercharging has been done but its labor and need for larger engine bay clearences are exactly why if FI is going to be thought up, its going to be the TT setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts