BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are high mileage M5s performing out there? Have you long time owners noticed any significant change in performance and/or reliability since the engine break-in?

When looking for a used car, the goal is always to find the vehicle with the lowest miles and best maintenence record... but what if you find a high mileage M5 with good records? Would you consider buying? Would these M5s survive being driven as if they were brand new?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have 77,600 miles on mine. It runs awesome. I have been really up on changing fluids all the time. I have another car with 30,000 miles, but choose the M5 for road trips. Basically i trust it.

josh.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
on my particular car, i had a bunch of issues between 45k and 50k miles. It's been pretty clear since then. I'm now at 65k.
Mike

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I think it depends extremely much on how the engine and the clutch was run-in.

David

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought my 2000 Carbon Black beast with 99k and I am now at 125k. I have had no problems that were not directly caused by my own ignorance. I drove a 2002 with 30k just the other day and I noticed no difference at all. Overall, I have been thinking what JEM stated for quite some time. I am wondering if the M5 is like wine? That was a joke, but I think there is something to be said for looking at a 60 or 70k model with a good record over a 20 or 30k model. You will pay less for sure and possibly have fewer headaches. Who knows though... maybe I just got lucky!

Either way... CHANGE YOUR TRANNY FLUID EVERY 80K ATLEAST... Lifetime fluid my ***!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
LeatherMan said:
Either way... CHANGE YOUR TRANNY FLUID EVERY 80K ATLEAST... Lifetime fluid my ***!!!
I second that! And don´t forget the differential fluid while you are at it.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.