BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my M5, but its seriously in need of a diet!

So here are some thoughts to bounce off the group:
1. Carbon Fiber Hood from Mashaw (18 lbs total weight)-20lbs savings
2. StopTech or Brembos- front calipers each should be 10lbs lighter
3. Headers through mufflers - 70-80lbs off factory system

For track only I would add:
4. Wheels 18lbs vs 26 for stock - total weight loss 32lbs
5. Tires -Hoosiers 19lbs vs 25lbs stock-total weight loss 24lbs
6. Pair of Sparco Evo2 100lb savings

So thats 266lbs for those who are counting.:cool:

Am I missing any easy weight removal like stock airboxes, etc?

Grant

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Grant,

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the M5 is just a fat pig. You can probably get 400 lbs off of her total but thats going to include, taking out the M mobility system..all the foam that goes with it. The stock airboxes, the rear seats, drain the washer fluid.

You could go more extreme but then you would have to deal with sacraficing daily driving...out go the ac compressor, sound deadning (thats a lot in the m5), window motors/tracts (just replace with lexan).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to be extreme as the car is what it is, but the 1st 3 items do nothing to take away the overall package of the M5.

3 or 4 times per year I will track in the M5 so the seats and bolting on a different wheel/tire package are easy as I use to do this with my E36 M3.

Any thoughts other than strip the car?

Grant

·
Registered
444 Posts
Serious weight reduction will take the M5 out of the realm of a comfortable (and fast) street car and move it towards a race car. Stiff springs, solid bushings, Moton shocks, etc., will soon follow. If a race car is what you want, I recommend that you start with another car that is smaller and lighter (and cheaper) in the first place. The E36 M3 race cars that I am familiar with end up in the 2500-2600 lb. range, E46 cars a few hundred pounds heavier. This is for a completely stripped car with cage, including carbon doors, hood, front nose & trunk, plastic windows, single race seat, aftermarket engine controls and wiring harness (the stock wiring harness weighs more than 30 lbs.), headers, Brembo brakes, etc., etc. Ballast is usually needed to make class weight minimum. The S62 engine and transmission will fit in the E36/E46 chassis (and so will a Chev Z06), but then what class will you run it in?

The items mentioned for initial weight reduction on the M5 are all reasonable; in particular, the stock brakes and cat-back exhaust system are heavy. 20 lbs. or so can be removed with wheels such as Fikses, and the Michelin PS2 tires seem a bit lighter than others. The front seats are also heavy, but are interfaced with the car safety systems and will at the least require resetting of the air bag light after re-installation. Beyond this, a successful personal diet may be the most productive approach. The M5 is a terrific high performance street car and should be enjoyed as such. It is not the best starting point for a race car.

Just my $0.02

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Forget weight loss, get into driving school you get more out of it.

But if you want a lighter M5 heres what you do.

You buy a 996tt. :)

Or you can, rip out the dash, carpet, padding, sound deadning, door panels, roof headliner, backseat, M kit and tools, battery cover, A/c, C/F hood and all that other crap you talked about. that should get it to the point of 3300 lbs similer to an enzo.

Or you could just buy a "truer" sports car which makes more sence. The m5 is what it is.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
M5 Weight reduction efforts........are fruitless. This reminds me of a sumo wrestler paying $3K for an 18lb graphite frame bicycle.

Higher velocities are achieved by practicing performance driving...improving skills on-track. Every hour you spend thinking about or bolting stuff on a car is one hour less track time.

Every time a sports car with a bunch of hipo bolt-ons getting passed by a hotshoe in a stock Neon, you must ask yourself why. It happens every day in amateur automotive competition events. Money and mods do NOT substitute for track experience.

·
Registered
283 Posts
RRoberts nailed it.

If you want to lose a little weight, maybe do the first 3 items on the list.

But really, the M5 is not a racecar and it has never tried to be. If you want a light car, start with something else. There's alot of weight in the structure, too, that you can't do anything about.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jayson said:
Forget weight loss, get into driving school you get more out of it.

But if you want a lighter M5 heres what you do.

You buy a 996tt. :)

Or you can, rip out the dash, carpet, padding, sound deadning, door panels, roof headliner, backseat, M kit and tools, battery cover, A/c, C/F hood and all that other crap you talked about. that should get it to the point of 3300 lbs similer to an enzo.

Or you could just buy a "truer" sports car which makes more sence. The m5 is what it is.
There are a couple of guys that have their TTs down to 3100 lbs.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
All good suggestions and advice. If you're going to drag race you can ditch the sway bars. Just don't forget to put them on before hitting the roadrace course! ouich

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
So Cal M5 said:
There are a couple of guys that have their TTs down to 3100 lbs.

exactly...gt3 is lower than that i think or close to that mark.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
If you live in a cool climate you don't really need the mechanical fan, saving 4 more pounds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts