BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not put my vehicle on a weigh scale but by using both the official BMW information from Europe and the USA it can be confirmed the E60 M5 does *not* weigh 4100lbs unladen as Unfoundhorsepower has claimed. (no personal attack bud just read your post and hit the books:)):typing:

Using the European brochure, it's stated to weigh 1830kg which includes 75kg for driver, luggage and fuel. So that makes a dry weight of 1755kg.

1755kg = 3869lbs

So BMW NA's weight of 4012lbs (as stated in our brochure here) does include the driver so we can celebrate that our beloved M5s weigh under 4,000lbs until we sit our fat asses in them. :thumbsup:

Now, I'm pondering undoing all this good work by buying the new 6000lb LX570 to compliment The Beast. ouich

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
E60 Weight

I have not put my vehicle on a weigh scale but by using both the official BMW information from Europe and the USA it can be confirmed the E60 M5 does *not* weigh 4100lbs unladen as Unfoundhorsepower has claimed. (no personal attack bud just read your post and hit the books:)):typing:

Using the European brochure, it's stated to weigh 1830kg which includes 75kg for driver, luggage and fuel. So that makes a dry weight of 1755kg.

1755kg = 3869lbs

So BMW NA's weight of 4012lbs (as stated in our brochure here) does include the driver so we can celebrate that our beloved M5s weigh under 4,000lbs until we sit our fat asses in them. :thumbsup:

Now, I'm pondering undoing all this good work by buying the new 6000lb LX570 to compliment The Beast. ouich
When we were at Atco in December we weighed my E39 M5 and my recollection is that we came up with 4025 lbs. This was with a half tank of gas and no driver. I would think that the E39 is a tad lighter than the E60.

I believe actually weighing your car is the only way you are going to get a real world weight figure for your E60. I'm with Unfoundhorsepower on this one
:hihi:

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
When we were at Atco in December we weighed my E39 M5 and my recollection is that we came up with 4025 lbs. This was with a half tank of gas and no driver. I would think that the E39 is a tad lighter than the E60.

I believe actually weighing your car is the only way you are going to get a real world weight figure for your E60. I'm with Unfoundhorsepower on this one
:hihi:
That must have been your S3? When my E39 M5 was still stock, it weighed 3921 lbs on an accurate set of corner balance scales with a 1/2 tank of fuel and maybe 5lbs of extra stuff in the trunk.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Carl - you really need to put the car on the scale to know what it weighs. Or at least how it compares to other cars at the same location. Even options can affect the weight of a car.

Surely somebody has put their M5 on a track scale?

FWIW - my E55 with me and 3/8ths of a tank of gas weighs between 4320 and 4340 at Englishtown. Is it possible that the M5 is more than 300 lbs. lighter? Sounds like a bit much for two cars that are so similar in size. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That must have been your S3? When my E39 M5 was still stock, it weighed 3921 lbs on an accurate set of corner balance scales with a 1/2 tank of fuel and maybe 5lbs of extra stuff in the trunk.
There was easily 50 lbs of stuff that could have been taken out of the car that day, i.e. 3 helmets and other miscellaneous junk. Harry hasn't stopped busting my chops about it to this day.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I weighed my car last year at the dragstrip and it weighed 4126 lb's with me in it and a 1/4 tank on gas. I weigh 205 lb's so with that being said, my car weighs around 3885 lb's with nothing in it.

For weight savings, I have SS headers and exhaust, lighter wheels, and a 6.5 lb battery.

Also, on that same day a member from MBWorld.org came along with his stock E55 and he said (after seeing mine on the scale) that his car weighs a little over 200lb's more than mine.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I weighed my car last year at the dragstrip and it weighed 4126 lb's with me in it and a 1/4 tank on gas. I weigh 205 lb's so with that being said, my car weighs around 3885 lb's with nothing in it.

For weight savings, I have SS headers and exhaust, lighter wheels, and a 6.5 lb battery.

Also, on that same day a member from MBWorld.com came along with his stock E55 and he said (after seeing mine on the scale) that his car weighs a little over 200lb's more than mine.

Cheers ///
:thumbsup:

How much do you think your mods are saving you? I calculate it to be less than 100lbs meaning you're still well under 4,000lbs. Has anyone else had theirs on the scales?

Good info, 6Speedcherrsagai

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
:thumbsup:

How much do you think your mods are saving you? I calculate it to be less than 100lbs meaning you're still well under 4,000lbs. Has anyone else had theirs on the scales?

Good info, 6Speedcherrsagai
Battery = 53 lb savings (including the removal of the silly tire inflator)
Headers = maybe 15 lb's ???
Mufflers = maybe 40 lb's ??? (the stock cans are surprisingly very heavy)
Wheels = 30 lb's

So roughly 138 lbs off from stock.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Battery = 53 lb savings (including the removal of the silly tire inflator)
Headers = maybe 15 lb's ???
Mufflers = maybe 40 lb's ??? (the stock cans are surprisingly very heavy)
Wheels = 30 lb's

So roughly 138 lbs off from stock.

Cheers ///
Good to have the numbers. Wow that's some bigger than expected savings. So right around 4t then. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I disagree w/ Carl Lassiter on this one. I'm not sure what the German literature says but I will put this to rest real soon.
I'm taking my M5 to Moroso race track and put it on the scales.

My visceral feeling is that there's no way this is under 4000lbs.
It would be great to find out otherwise but then than puts a crimp on my 1/4 mile times. I felt 11.65 sec run was not bad for a 4200 lbs sled.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Drove my 2008 E60 M5 0nto A Toledo digital freight scale. With me, 8.6 gallons of fuel, 2 golf bags, case of 16 pounders, bag of pretzels, 22 CDs, coffee mug(empty), rubber floor mats(2), lap top, breakfast(I just ate), low a quart of oil and half shot Contis. Grand total; 4,456.8 lbs. US. (Does paint color matter?) :dunno:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
There was easily 50 lbs of stuff that could have been taken out of the car that day, i.e. 3 helmets and other miscellaneous junk. Harry hasn't stopped busting my chops about it to this day.
Hey Ray,

Curious to know the extra weight added with supercharger and heat exchanger(s) (you have the big oil cooler, right?). Be interesting to get a good reading your next time out to the track in comparison to
Thrilos5's beast with similar fuel level and extraneous junk removed (including the driver...:7:).

Dave

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I've weighed my car three times, on two different scales, and the numbers were identical, so I'll take these as accurate. My car has ALL options, and no weight savings, so this is definitely worst case. Car was weighed with a full tank of gas, no driver. I had 20 lbs of 'junk' in the car, but also had BBS wheels which are about 20 lbs lighter than stock, so it's a wash.

11/08 weight, at Shelter Moving and Storage: 4100 lbs, 13 gallons short of a full tank = 80 lbs. Total weight with full tank = 4180 lbs.

11/09 weight, at Planes Incorporated: 4180 lbs, full tank

11/09 weight, at Shelter Moving and Storage: 4180 lbs, full tank

So, three measurements, two different facilities, two days and identical weights. That should give people a pretty good baseline.

·
Registered
375 Posts
European versions will be lighter due to less stringent safety /crash standards. Most likely in the glass, bumpers, door beams etc, and also in some emissions controls like our catalytic converters. Some don't even have the sunroof which is a major weight savings! W

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Excellent points stated by warrenatc. Really clarifies things.

I would just find it hard to believe that the M5 weighed less than the Audi RS4 even though it's AWD.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I weighed it at a scale run by the state on a truck pull over..... car was wet/fuel...small stuff in trunk and me in the seat, 4,400 lbs.... i weigh 265, and 35 lbs in the trunk...4,100 lbs....
. ok for you engineer anal types, give or take...10%...close enough...it's still a load, and i love it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Posted by M5Junky here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113189&page=3

"Hey guys - just an update... Got back in town late last night - performance box was delivered.. Read the instructions on my plane ride.. SO - this morning jumped in the beast popped in the Performance Box and did as the directions say verbatim.. I even went to the CAT scales for semis and got my car weighed.. 4060lbs:eek:oohhh: seems high - that was printed out at the station..... "

Not sure if he was in the car or if his fuel tank was full...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Potatoes/Potatoes.......1/2 full/1/2 empty.....1/2 qt./2pints...care to add to this list?? lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts