1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by Mattar:
I hate it when BMW does this
Hmpf, but when you race with something like that, it put a smile on your face

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (in production - Status 150)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That Imola 520i in front is even worse, at least the 540i has a not so weak of an engine to match that body gear...

Originally posted by Dany:
Hmpf, but when you race with something like that, it put a smile on your face

Dany

'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I was having dificulty telling, but are the side mirrors oval ?! If they are, then that is the biggeset bone of contention i have. even though i dont like it much, the car can look familiar to the M5, but if it has M side mirrors, then that is a direct knock off, and is not just trying to assimilate itself to the M5, but trying to be the M5.

fas

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by fais2000:

I was having dificulty telling, but are the side mirrors oval ?!
No, they aren't... and the rims aren't the right too. But if you have only a short look...

Dany

'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doesn't bother me much...granted I don't have an M5 yet (waiting on that waiting list...and waiting...and waiting), but I don't really care what other cars on the road look like.

Does it dilute the M marque? It sure does. When I went to buy my M3 back in 97 there were a whole bunch of those 3 series hatchbacks (what were they called?) with all around M bodywork, including the side M moldings, etc. Sure, made the car look more aggressive, but the engine on those cars were tiny, and would not produce the kind of performance expected of M cars. Thus, from a brand perspective, it is a dumb move by BMW.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It's not easy to see due to the dark color, but the front spoiler is slightly different as well. It has a horizontal bar stretching across the lower part of the central air intake. Also, the kidney grilles are not M, but that has been changed across the 5 series line for 2001.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Guys,
ive actually spent some time comparing these cars, (m5 and with M bodykit) because ive seen them side by side.
the differences are the following for those who may want to know: "kit" cars have single tailpipe, but of a larger diameter, instead of 4 of M5 of smaller diameter, rims are 17" instead of 18" and different design, sidemirrors are standard rectangular 5 Series items, the grille is now the same, and indeed the front airdam has bulit in "T" shape bar.

------------------
SL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get a life!

You don't buy an 'M' car for it's looks alone, remember that to 99% of the other people on the road your M5 just looks like another 5 series.

If you want respect from fellow performance car fans, then you will get it as they will know it is an M5 by the four exhausts etc.

If you want people to know you spent $80,000+ on a car then go buy a Porsche 996.

Be happy that you can drive one of the best performance cars around and forget about whatever anyone else is driving.

This is nothing new, BMW has done this ever since they had M cars - just smile when you see a standard 520i with an M badge stuck on the back!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
steve you state a valid point, the only thing that i dont like is when car enthusiasts who do know their cars but dont notice subtle differences in other peoples cars. Then they go tooting around how they beat an M5, even though they are running a 520i. Not a very big deal, but then people get misconcieved notions. It does look bad on the M marque. I mean I know many people who are enthusiasts who will not notice very subtle differences in other peoples cars, especially at high speeds

fas

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you really worry about the view of people who go around bragging that they beat an M5 on the road?

On the road I can be beat by a 1.8 family sedan if the person driving is stupid enough to overtake me on a blind bend in the wet!! Unfortunately it seems that when people (idiots) see you in a performance car, especially, a sports car they try to beat you and will try any stupid/dangerous antic to get past you. If they think that means that your car is inferior to theirs then all fool them.

Fortunately in Europe we have the Nurburgring as an excellent guage to how quick a car really is in comparison to another. Most European performance car makers and a lot of japanese too are all testing their cars there prior to release and the magazines all publish the lap times.

This sort of info is good enough for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey look at this!

Down on the bottom of the page, there is a link that says something to the effect of "return to photo index" or something like that. Then there is a link that says "///M3". Click on it and there are sevenpics of a new silver M3. Pretty sweet car. Just thought some of you would like to see this.

Y2K M5 Carbon Black

·
Registered
765 Posts
Most of the time i drive new 320 with M3 bodykit and 17" M wheels and guess what? it DOESN'T have M sticker on the back and it's not even debadged but wears proudly 320.
The dealer actually suggested debadging it and putting M on and i said what the hell for? i don't pretend to have an M3, i like how the car looks with the kit on and also comes with the kit as standard things like suade sports seats, sports suspension, low profile wider tyres, etc, quite a lot of other useful things, which if ordered separately would have cost whole load more than as in the M package.
what i am saying is that not everyone driving 5 or 3 series with kit has an intention to imitate M3 or M5, can you blame people for buying it just because the car looks better with it and is better equipped?
i think it's about complex of inferiority, but then i can drive any day M5 (real
)or M Roadster instead of 320 when the circumstances are right

the other day i saw 5 series pass by with the kit on and about a couple of minutes later M5 went in that direction too.
i wonder how the first guy felt when the other car caught up with him?
c'mon guys, relax and just enjoy yourselves, my brother constantly keeps bugging me how stupid BMW is to launch this M kit, but then he is 18 years old.
be more condecending

------------------
SL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same thing hear in France near Germany (few kilometer) a big part of cars (3 and 5) who came from Germany have body kit or/and rims / door mirrors...... from M SERIES. Imagine a classic 520i with rear M5 bumper and only one pipe on the left !

Bad to see that.

JCF

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
There's been a rash of imitation M5's here in London - all of them 528i "sport" models (or 535/540). I don't agree with this as it brings down the exclusivity factor of the M5. but then again there's a demand for these cars so BMW will make them. I guess we should be satisfied that imitation is the best form of flattery.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts