BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove the new E90, I asked them about their waiting list on M5, they told me they have slot #4 open if anyone is interested, they are currently asking $7k over MSRP, but its probably negotiable. If interested, email me at [email protected]. I figured there would be a longer waiting list based on what Ive seen on the net.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
damills said:
I test drove the new E90, I asked them about their waiting list on M5, they told me they have slot #4 open if anyone is interested, they are currently asking $7k over MSRP, but its probably negotiable. If interested, email me at [email protected]. I figured there would be a longer waiting list based on what Ive seen on the net.

There would be longer waiting lists at dealers who commit to selling at MSRP. Since there are so many of those, it is not surprising that you can get a relatively early slot at a dealer that will charge a premium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MRichmond said:
There would be longer waiting lists at dealers who commit to selling at MSRP. Since there are so many of those, it is not surprising that you can get a relatively early slot at a dealer that will charge a premium.
What is the going price in your area, reason I ask him is because I had seen on the web and talked to one guy in nevada, said dealers were asking $20k-$30k over MSRP, one that is asking over MSRP has a waiting list of 150.

I thought about putting a deposit and selling on ebay, but after talking to some friends, didnt feel it was the right thing to do, I posted based on hoping someone from the west coast could maybe get a lower slot and not have to pay so much, but I believe if someone went into my dealership, they could probably get $2k-$5k over MSRP, just a guess.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
damills said:
What is the going price in your area, reason I ask him is because I had seen on the web and talked to one guy in nevada, said dealers were asking $20k-$30k over MSRP, one that is asking over MSRP has a waiting list of 150.

I thought about putting a deposit and selling on ebay, but after talking to some friends, didnt feel it was the right thing to do, I posted based on hoping someone from the west coast could maybe get a lower slot and not have to pay so much, but I believe if someone went into my dealership, they could probably get $2k-$5k over MSRP, just a guess.
No one knows that the going price is anywhere in the US because BMW NA has not announced US pricing. I, like many others, have a written contract that specifies that price will be MSRP. I expect that, with a little phone calling, you could find a dealer who is willing to sell at MSRP and who could put you on its list around number 10-20. I would not bother adding your name to a list that already has 150 people on it. Usually, such lists consist of people "with interest" but who have not put down deposits. Most dealers will have real lists of people who have placed deposits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MRichmond said:
No one knows that the going price is anywhere in the US because BMW NA has not announced US pricing. I, like many others, have a written contract that specifies that price will be MSRP. I expect that, with a little phone calling, you could find a dealer who is willing to sell at MSRP and who could put you on its list around number 10-20. I would not bother adding your name to a list that already has 150 people on it. Usually, such lists consist of people "with interest" but who have not put down deposits. Most dealers will have real lists of people who have placed deposits.
Right, I didnt mean the going price, but the amount over MSRP. If its true dealers on the west coast are actually getting $30k over MSRP and list are at 150, I dont understand why someone doesnt call dealers on the east cost and have it shipped ?????? Im also amazed someone isnt trying to sell a slot on ebay.

What options are your ordering, when is your expected ETA?
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
damills said:
Right, I didnt mean the going price, but the amount over MSRP. If its true dealers on the west coast are actually getting $30k over MSRP and list are at 150, I dont understand why someone doesnt call dealers on the east cost and have it shipped ?????? Im also amazed someone isnt trying to sell a slot on ebay.

What options are your ordering, when is your expected ETA?
No one in the US has ordered his car yet because US specifications are unknown. So, although many of us expect that most features will be standard and options relatively few, we do not know for certain, just as we do not know what MSRP will be. Another post today related information -- yet to be confirmed -- that US production will not start until December. Until know, most sources reported US production to begin in September. If those original projections (and guesses about dealer allocations) hold true, I should see mine in early 2006.

As for ebay, your experience is part of the explanation. If someone is willing to pay a premium over MSRP, it should not be difficult to get an early slot. Also, I would be wary of a "slot seller's" ability to transfer his place in line to someone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
And don't expect to jump into an East Coast slot right away too. I haven't checked in awhile, but my dealer last mentioned a fairly hefty list, with deposits down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vndkshn said:
And don't expect to jump into an East Coast slot right away too. I haven't checked in awhile, but my dealer last mentioned a fairly hefty list, with deposits down.
I live in East Tennesse, my dealer is asking $7k over MSRP and has the 4 position available, I think they will take $2k-$5k, just guessing, maybe not, but think they will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Looks like for you guys from US would be much easier and quicker to import this M5 beast from Europe but I guess you’d lose on price. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Anyone have a realistic estimate of what the per-dealer allocations will be or how many US-spec M5's will be produced? I'm 15th on my dealer's list and not holding out much hope of seeing it until mid-2006 (thus, I'll probably end up looking seriously at something else like a Masi GranSport or CLS55).
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
RBullotta said:
Anyone have a realistic estimate of what the per-dealer allocations will be or how many US-spec M5's will be produced? I'm 15th on my dealer's list and not holding out much hope of seeing it until mid-2006 (thus, I'll probably end up looking seriously at something else like a Masi GranSport or CLS55).
Dealer allocations usually depend on the volume that the dealer has sold in the past. Dealer allocations have not been announced. My dealer -- in a medium-size city -- is hoping for two per month. I would not be too discouraged by your place in line, since it is likely that a significant number of the 14 people in front of you will choose not to buy the car when their turn comes up. The deposits usually are relatively small and refundable, so it does not take much of a commitment to get on a list. Some will have tired of waiting, others will decide that they prefer a different car, others will decide not to spend that much money on a car, etc., etc. However, unless your dealer's list is merely a list of people with interest who did not put down deposits, I suspect that mid-2006 is the earliest that your turn will come up.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top