BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I found myself playing with a Z8 on Sheihk Zayed road here in Dubai but there was too much traffic to safely get a good run going.. I think he also recognized this fact and just fell behind me and cruised with me.. If we had the opportunity to get a good run, could I take him ? I know nothing of the Z8..
:M5rev: :M5eyes:

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
atlantisvip said:
Yesterday I found myself playing with a Z8 on Sheihk Zayed road here in Dubai but there was too much traffic to safely get a good run going.. I think he also recognized this fact and just fell behind me and cruised with me.. If we had the opportunity to get a good run, could I take him ? I know nothing of the Z8..
:M5rev: :M5eyes:
Stock to stock, no, same powertrain, but the Z8 has a weight advantage. It should accelate better (ignore no LSD) and handle better to. But it wouldn't be that wide a margin where driver talent would not come into play. Just IMHO
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
The answer is: its mostly driver dependant- who is willing to be more aggressive/ who is more capable.

Pros for the Z8:
lighter by 4-500lbs
same v8 engine
better feeling in the brakes and much better steering feeling
More central mass

Pros for the M5:
performance tires vs. runflats that are OK but not really performance tires on the Z8

M Variable Diff (LSD) whereas the Z8 has an open diff (this helps with DSC off the line and also helps with powering out of corners)

No CDV (clutch delay valve) as the Z8 has this.
High speed aerodymanics (100+) The Z8 has a lot of turbulence in the cockpit and can become downright harsh at triple digit speeds. The M5 feels like it wants to keep going and going and going.

So -in the Z8 you get much more of a sensation of speed and there is less car around you so if you could get a clone of yourself, depending on your personality, you might slow down first in the Z8- or not. :)

Hey- 2 Jerrys- 2 same answers! :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you have unlocked the speed limiter, then race him from 150 onwards, below that you wont like your car much.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also believe that the Z8 has a higher (numerically anyway) differential, or final drive than the M5. It should be quicker just by that merit. :D

·
Registered
784 Posts
Chrisfast said:
I also believe that the Z8 has a higher (numerically anyway) differential, or final drive than the M5. It should be quicker just by that merit. :D

You are correct.......

M5.....3.15

Z8.....3.35ish maybe 3.34....

Both are a blast to run through the gears......

Take care

Shadowman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts