BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can confirm that the M5 with Bridgestone s03's does not stop well in the snow. In fact it took a 2-ton SUV to halt my forward progress. We both got out and there appeared to be absolutely no damage to either bumper so on we went. Upon arriving home I noticed a bigger than usual gap between the hood and body. Uh-Oh. Upon closer examination the hood was buckled and the kidney grills cracked. Apparently the SUV bumper got her right between the kidney grills.

Anyhow, I need some advice. I live in Middletown, NJ and need a body shop recommendation. Does anyone know of a good shop in the greater NYC area (preferably on the NJ side of the Hudson River)?

Also, in a situation like mine do they generally replace the whole hood? Do I need to demand this? I want the job done right.

Finally, if I need to get a new hood is it worth it to get a carbon fiber hood? Is the weight saving significant and are they safe (I have kids and don't want to take any unnecessary risks).

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I think that the whole hood will be replaced, but it obviously depends on the extent of the damage,

I dont think a CF hood would be a good idea, it would be extremely expensive and the weight saving wont make any difference imho.

Also i remember seeing on here a little while back a pic of an RS4 with a CF hood and it had come up at high speeds on the autobahn and smashed into the windscreen...kinda put me off them! :(

all the best
adam

·
Registered
590 Posts
CEC said:
I can confirm that the M5 with Bridgestone s03's does not stop well in the snow. In fact it took a 2-ton SUV to halt my forward progress. We both got out and there appeared to be absolutely no damage to either bumper so on we went. Upon arriving home I noticed a bigger than usual gap between the hood and body. Uh-Oh. Upon closer examination the hood was buckled and the kidney grills cracked. Apparently the SUV bumper got her right between the kidney grills.

Anyhow, I need some advice. I live in Middletown, NJ and need a body shop recommendation. Does anyone know of a good shop in the greater NYC area (preferably on the NJ side of the Hudson River)?

Also, in a situation like mine do they generally replace the whole hood? Do I need to demand this? I want the job done right.

Finally, if I need to get a new hood is it worth it to get a carbon fiber hood? Is the weight saving significant and are they safe (I have kids and don't want to take any unnecessary risks).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sorry to hear about your mishap CEC.
I live in the Philly area and we got the same snow/ice crap you guys got yesterday. Not good weather for the M. I parked the car and broke out the four wheel drive pickup.

I assume your going to turn it to your insurance company. The hood will be repair or replace depending on two things, which insurance company you have, and how much damage. If the hood is not to bad I would prefer to repair the original hood for reasons of it fits better and the color match will be closer. You could blend the paint inside the hood and just clear to the ends. Color match would be excellent.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Chet,
I am sorry to hear of the accident, but I am very glad to read all are OK.

I agree- Id just get the stock 5/M5 hood. There is a place Erich Lapinski recommends in NJ, but I cant remember the name and their card is at home. When I get home later, I will post their contact info. I've never used them so I cannot vouch but Erich said they are where hed go if he had to. When someone damaged my Z8 I brought it to the dealer and they did a good job. Just a thought as to an alternative- although many dealers just farm out their body work- at the time my dealer had their own paint booths- I hear they no longer have it and just farm it out too... Ill get back to you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not quite in Jersey but there is a place called J & B body works in Westhester. My brother works for one of the paint manufacturers and speaks highly of this shop. They do a lot of Ferrari work and others for some of the high end car dealers in the metropolitan area.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
CEC said:
If I was the insurance company, why would I replace it? Unless they like you, they will always take the cheaper route, especially if it's your fault. I think that's just common sense on their part. If it's not your fault, you could have a greater chance to demand better than a repair.

However, you could convince the shop to tell your adjuster that he can't guarantee the work if he has to repair it. Depending on the damage and the shop's adherence to quality, it's worth a shot.

I always drive the slow lane and try to stay at least 5 seconds behind the other car when the roads are slick or when it snows.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MEnthusiast said:
Chet,
I am sorry to hear of the accident, but I am very glad to read all are OK.

I agree- Id just get the stock 5/M5 hood. There is a place Erich Lapinski recommends in NJ, but I cant remember the name and their card is at home. When I get home later, I will post their contact info. I've never used them so I cannot vouch but Erich said they are where hed go if he had to. When someone damaged my Z8 I brought it to the dealer and they did a good job. Just a thought as to an alternative- although many dealers just farm out their body work- at the time my dealer had their own paint booths- I hear they no longer have it and just farm it out too... Ill get back to you.
Thanks for the kind words Jerry.

I should have thought of it sooner. Eric has detailed my car a few times - nice guy. I will call him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts