BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a nice little race today :wroom: . Doing in my M5 180 km in 6<SUP>th</SUP> gear. See behind silver mirrors coming hoped RS 6 but unfortunately S8 well never raced against this car. Wait for him to come equally with in, slowly get 200km in 6<SUP>th</SUP> – 4 revs and as he tries to pull in front I flour it! O boy you know that feeling! When got up to 250-270 hardly see him when got close to 290 simply lost him. Waited a bit again but he did not want to race any more although he had a nice after market exhaust system. Drove together with him at 200 for 100 km. Easy kill, I hope I did not spoiled his weekend :crying:

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
I agree. I drove the S8 quite alot on a track and was surprised how light it felt and how controllable thanks to the 4WD.

100 HP more and it would be great. There is also the A8 W12 in Europe with 400+ HP.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beamer_usa said:
No competition with M5

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Well you never know what S8 it could be do you? If you get across S8 mtm (which is turbo or supercharged cannot remember know what exactly it uses) will be different matter<o:p></o:p>

:blink:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I disagree that the S8 is no competition to the M5.

I think the S8 beats the M5 in the following areas:

1. Better looking design (at least from the rear 3/4's)
2. As a pure driving machine, no. But as a utalitarian point to point machine, in most of the damp weather conditions we get here in the UK, the S8 is better.
3. Better built. I had an A8 4.2 for 3 years and it does put the E39 a little to shame.

Having said that I prefer the M5 because I don't comute by car, and almost every jorney I make is for fun.

But.... if I was some Government special crime fighting dude, and needed something to carry 3 other uzi totting loons no matter what the weather, then an S8 for me please (is there really going to be an RS8 ???)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3. Better built. I had an A8 4.2 for 3 years and it does put the E39 a little to shame.

Strongly disagree. Different story owned for 2 years S8 and was other way round, E39 keeps much better and from my point of view build better.

Another reasons got M5 due to lack of performance in S8 (except winter time) no fun with 4wd what so ever :(

·
Registered
962 Posts
Anglas said:

Strongly disagree. Different story owned for 2 years S8 and was other way round, E39 keeps much better and from my point of view build better.

Another reasons got M5 due to lack of performance in S8 (except winter time) no fun with 4wd what so ever :(

Ref: build quality; Interesting. Everytime I took something apart on my A8 it was a joy to discover how it was built. Its been less so on the M5.

Ref:fun; I agree, only starts to get fun in the winter, and still then to have fun you have to be going at such speed to warrant a sanity check.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stumbo said:
Ref: build quality; Interesting. Everytime I took something apart on my A8 it was a joy to discover how it was built. Its been less so on the M5.

Ref:fun; I agree, only starts to get fun in the winter, and still then to have fun you have to be going at such speed to warrant a sanity check.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Different between you and me is I never take apart myself because I know I’ll never be able to get it back correctly :1: , so cannot really argue about build quality inside with you. What I ment was as far as owning M5 vs. S8 concerns I’m more happy and have less mechanical trouble then with S8 had :cheers:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had both cars...Still have M5, M5 is much faster after 140km...until 100 with good launch they are side by side...

I raced couple...and even RS6 2nd gear pull has porblem to keep up with M5...a freind of mine raced RS6 500Hp and beated in 1/4...

I was about Manual S8, automatic is full 1.2 slower the manual...No competition at all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.