• Both!

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , the M5 concenpt is already out but the M6 is still unknown!
My dad did not like the M5 very much but the other day he went to a meeting and saw the 645ci in person and he felt in love :M5thumbs:
He told me that and I imediatly sad "there is going to be an M6..."...

I already read here on the board that a lot of ex M5 owner will go to the M6!
Now I want to see numbers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a deposit on both, but right now I favor the M5. BMW charges a $10,000 premium for a 645Ci over a 545i with similar equipment and performance that doesn't seem justified by anything that the 645Ci has or does. I suspect that this pricing differential will continue between the M5 and M6. Moreover, I suspect that I'll be wanting to move to a new car before the M6 becomes available.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
M6!!!

The M6 so long as you dont need the 4 doors.

1. Better looking exterior (subjective I know)
2. Better looking interior (subjective again)
3. Lighter
4. Nearly every review comparing how the 5&6 drive say the 5 drives great and the 6 drivers better!
5. M5 gets 500bhp, M6 is rumored to have 550bhp!
6. Get the convertible and the weight goes up 300lbs but you get the power advantage over the M5. And you can enjoy open air motoring.

If the power rumors are true, I think there will be a price to be paid for that more powerful M6.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the M5 should get the best V10! Or else the M6 will just be uncatchable and that never happend between M cars!
The M3 was able to keep up with the M5 ....if the M6 gets 550bhp and the M5 500 then no way the M5 will catch the M6!!!

But I think that they will get the same engine because BMW will not make 2 high end engines!One V10 for both seems to be the ideia!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Artur,
Does that really make sense? I mean the M3 cab probably couldnt keep up with a M5 or M3 coupe at higher speeds due to increased drag. The 6 coupe will be a different shape and lighter. The odds are with the same power it would pull ahead. When it seems like every magazine reports the same thing (M6 to get 550bhp) I begin to think there is a marketing reason behind it and it must be that the price is going to be high.

And if its to be 2 different outputs, Im sure its not 2 different engines. Its more likely tweaked software- and maybe that means M5 owners will just have to wait a few months for companies like Dinan to offer the tweak. If this is indeed true, it would also explain the rumors of 500-550bhp for the M5 engine- becuase in a way they are both true.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: M6!!!

MEnthusiast said:
The M6 so long as you dont need the 4 doors.

1. Better looking exterior (subjective I know)
2. Better looking interior (subjective again)
3. Lighter
4. Nearly every review comparing how the 5&6 drive say the 5 drives great and the 6 drivers better!
5. M5 gets 500bhp, M6 is rumored to have 550bhp!
6. Get the convertible and the weight goes up 300lbs but you get the power advantage over the M5. And you can enjoy open air motoring.

If the power rumors are true, I think there will be a price to be paid for that more powerful M6.
I would agree that the 6-Series exterior is easier to love than the 5-Series, but I don't see much difference in the interiors. According to the BMWUSA web site the 645Ci actually weights the same as the 545i. I have never seen a driving comparison between the 5-Series and 6-Series, but I would love to read one. There's a little voice in my brain that already questions the sanity of my wanting a 500 hp street car. That little voice would be far louder should I contemplate paying $15-20,000 more for another 50 hp (The comparably equipped 645Ci is about $10,000 more than the 545i using the same engine).

My greatest concern with the 6-Series has more to do with function. If I want a personal car only big enough for me to take on a solo driving trip and to drive my wife and me around town, I would get a smaller car, like the Porsche 911, for instance. The Porsche uses its space very efficiently. But I want a car that will carrry my wife and me for a week-long vacation. Even though the 6-Series is a big car, those useless back seats don't fold down to create a storage platform or extend the otherwise somewhat small, narrow trunk. The 6-Series does not use its size efficiently. Considering the way my wife packs for vacations, we will either have to take her 7-Series on those vacation drives or buy a roof-top luggage rack for the 6-Series.

...but I'm keeping my deposit down on the M6 anyway in case BMW offers fold-down back seats in the M6 or in case emotion overwhelms logic, as it no doubt typically does for all of us. ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
By the way, for those of you who dream of the day you'll be taking your new 6-Series or M6 on an exotic drive (and who just happen to have a 1024 x 768 monitor on your computer), I've taken a little license with Photoshop to make wallpaper (desktop for you Mac users) from an available 6-Series interior photo.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
You know whats funny? Im glad they dont have fold down seats- as I wouldnt use the feature because I dont like loose stowage and I hate thinking that the fold down seats could rattle.... I cant argue with your practical points though. Still- skipping price- Ill take the M6 cab with an order of SMGIII on the side to go please ;)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I too voted for the M6 based on the looks of the standard models. I do like the concept M5. That shows what a few lines here and there can do to the overall appearance. If the M6 is $10k more with no better performance than the M5, then the M5 looks like a better deal.

·
Registered
722 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
You know whats funny? Im glad they dont have fold down seats- as I wouldnt use the feature because I dont like loose stowage and I hate thinking that the fold down seats could rattle.... I cant argue with your practical points though. Still- skipping price- Ill take the M6 cab with an order of SMGIII on the side to go please ;)
You know what may be even funnier? I've ordered two straight E39 5-Series cars (a 540i and the M5) with fold-down back seats. Both cars eventually developed rattles in the back refractory to service visits. I never could implicate the folding back seat, but (and here's the funny part) during this 7-year period I've never once folded down the back seat. ouich

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: M6!!!

rsteele said:
I would agree that the 6-Series exterior is easier to love than the 5-Series, but I don't see much difference in the interiors. According to the BMWUSA web site the 645Ci actually weights the same as the 545i. I have never seen a driving comparison between the 5-Series and 6-Series, but I would love to read one. There's a little voice in my brain that already questions the sanity of my wanting a 500 hp street car. That little voice would be far louder should I contemplate paying $15-20,000 more for another 50 hp (The comparably equipped 645Ci is about $10,000 more than the 545i using the same engine).

My greatest concern with the 6-Series has more to do with function. If I want a personal car only big enough for me to take on a solo driving trip and to drive my wife and me around town, I would get a smaller car, like the Porsche 911, for instance. The Porsche uses its space very efficiently. But I want a car that will carrry my wife and me for a week-long vacation. Even though the 6-Series is a big car, those useless back seats don't fold down to create a storage platform or extend the otherwise somewhat small, narrow trunk. The 6-Series does not use its size efficiently. Considering the way my wife packs for vacations, we will either have to take her 7-Series on those vacation drives or buy a roof-top luggage rack for the 6-Series.

...but I'm keeping my deposit down on the M6 anyway in case BMW offers fold-down back seats in the M6 or in case emotion overwhelms logic, as it no doubt typically does for all of us. ;)
I just saw a 6 today . . . big trunk! I was surprised. The trunk is long and oval shaped versus the square/rectangle shape of the 5.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Rsteele,
And to add on to that, my 03 M5 has the fold down seats because I didnt spec the car and I wanted to grab one of the "last great BMWs"... lol.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Well it is quite a tough decision. If you've got plenty of cash then I would say go for both. For me though I would opt for the M5. Although I haven't got kids there is something about high powered 4 door sedans that I really like. I am pretty sure my fiancee would say the M6 though. Mainly due to the fact it would turn more heads and doesn't look like an old mans car. Which is what she called the E39 but she did mention that the E60 looks far better and more modern/trendy than the E39.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The rational, logical side of me says: why buy a 4 seat car that requires the rear passengers to climb in/out thru a single door. Since I like to take friends and family out in my M5, I like that they all can get in/out easily. Additionally, the M5 has real rear leg room which the 6 seems short on. The M6 fails on all these issues, but having just seen a new 6 last week(a 645 convertible), I really do like the shape of the front, and the rear is looking better.

Conflicted, but I'll get over it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CEC said:
No two door cars in my future for the next 15 years or until the kids get their own cars...
or you can tell your kids to squeeze into the back...along with your wife...or they can all walk. :haha2:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I will get the M5 and have an M6 cabrio on order too. The [likely] small performance/handling advantage of the M6 coupe is not nearly enough to overcome the better accomodations, flexibility and price or the M5, but I love open air driving and the M6 cabrio might just be the ticket there. The alternative would be to wait for the next gen M3 cabrio.

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts