BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Would you consider switching to M6GC considering its faster or do you think it would be too challenging a car compared to the current M5.
What makes you say an M6 GC is definitively faster than a similarly equipped M5?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Thought it was common knowledge. Chasis diferences, carbon fibre hood with lower center of gravity, etc.
But please correct me if I'm wrong.
Per the bmwusa website the M6 GC weighs 4,430 lbs and the M5 weighs 4,387 lbs. I think the one US magazine test of the M6 GC (Car & Driver) was a car optioned with the carbon ceramic brakes which I believe reduces unsprung weight by 42 lbs. Theoretically it is reducing some of the parasitic loss and helping power to the ground. How much is it helping I don't know. But I think it would be a statistical dead heat acceleration-wise given the same powertrain and options. As far as lower certain of gravity, I can see that helping the M6 GC get around a track quicker.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I looked at both and chose my 2014 F10 Competition Package & have no regrets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was just in an M6 GC the other day. On one hand it is better looking IMHO. But I would not get one because there is very little rear seat room. When I sat in the driver's seat and adjusted my seat to where I like (I am 5' 11") I then sat in the rear seat behind it. It was punishing. My knees were pressed up hard against the front seat. The 3 Series has more rear seat legroom than the M6 GC. A lot.

But if one doesn't need decent rear seat room (no kids or very little ones) it could work. But to transport adults in the back seat, it is not very good for that.

If my decision was on looks alone, I would definitely go M6 GC. But if practicality is more important, go M5.

Performancewise, the cars are very close. In terms of money, although the M6 GC is obviously more expensive, I would think one could get a nice discount on one as I have seen a lot more of them in dealer stock than the M5.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
If I was to go off looks along then the M6GC would win hands down, very good looking car. I dont believe it really out performs the M5 tho.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The GC is heavier than an F10, but has better aero and a lower CG. However, the GC has a better tuned suspension than the F10. How much better? I'm not sure.

The GC is much better looking but the F10 has it beat practicality wise and for bang for the buck.

That said, I would still want a GC. I'm just not a fan of the F10.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go for a M5 if you need best of both worlds, ie performance and practicality. Otherwise go for a 991 Turbo S as in both this and the M6 GC only kids can fit, while in the 991 you get all wheel drive, steering and great performance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
If it's all down to looks then the M6 GC is what I would get but alas I need back seats that people can actually sit in and enjoy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Would you consider switching to M6GC considering its faster or do you think it would be too challenging a car compared to the current M5.
I pick mine up next week or so, LCI M5 sold yesterday, answer your question.:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
All I can say is that I love my M6GC. I was close to getting an F10 M5, but am so glad I didn't. If you're ever in the area (Long Island) and want to meet up with Neil and I, I'm happy to let you take my beast for a spin. I've done every performance mod to it, so it won't drive like a stock GC. Car has Comp Pack, BMS Tune, downpipes, midpipes, exhaust, rpi scoops and bmc filters. Hope you're well!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Although the M6 GC is a lovely looking car I just don't get them. The advantage of the M5 is the blend of performance and practicality. The M6 is compromised from the practicality point of view and there are better performance cars in the same price range. I don't see why you would choose one over a high end 911 for instance.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I still need 4 seats, and the M6 GC has plenty of rear leg room, and I paid M5 money for mine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Although the M6 GC is a lovely looking car I just don't get them. The advantage of the M5 is the blend of performance and practicality. The M6 is compromised from the practicality point of view and there are better performance cars in the same price range. I don't see why you would choose one over a high end 911 for instance.
I need 4 seats (have 2 kids) with plenty of legroom, hence the reason I went with it. A 911 would not suffice. The M6 GC is the perfect blend of performance and practicality, but IMO, looks better than the F10 M5.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Like I said the M6 GC is a very good looking car but it's no way as practical as the M5 - no split folding rear seats for a start and you can't compare the space in the rear either. If you want practical performance the M5 is a better package and if you want performance/luxury there are better choices IMO. We are all different though and buy what appeals to us. The world would be a dull place if we all thought alike.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Like I said the M6 GC is a very good looking car but it's no way as practical as the M5 - no split folding rear seats for a start and you can't compare the space in the rear either. If you want practical performance the M5 is a better package and if you want performance/luxury there are better choices IMO. We are all different though and buy what appeals to us. The world would be a dull place if we all thought alike.
No split rear seats:grinyes: mine split 40/60 even got the release pulls in the boot, what are you talking about.:grinyes: and miles more knee room than My LCI M5, what car have you been viewing?.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts