BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends and I met up for a morning comparison drive of my 02 M5 and his 04 M3 (6-speed). We had a great time and both really enjoyed the cars. They are completely different in nature; I guess I expected this but was struck by it nonetheless.

M3: Agile, tossable, wonderful steering feel, lighter feeling clutch. The engine must be revved siginficantly to enjoy the power band, but the shifter makes this a rewarding job.

M5: Solid, sticks to corners like glue, less precise steering feel (expected due to servotronic recirculating ball vs. rack and pinion steering). My friend just could not believe the torque in the M5. After driving the M3, the M5s torque/low-end power did feel amazing again (like the first time I drove one!).

The M5 is of course more luxurious inside (especially with the full leather luxury interior, which I know is a matter of taste but I love it) and does not have as much of a sports car feel. It was great listening to the smooth understated rumble of the M5's V-8 compared with the wonderful "sewing machine" rip from the M3.

Both great cars. For me, the M5 is the choice by far. (But I guess that is why I bought one!)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I agree with your findings. Had a friend come down to visit in his '04 M3 (6-speed). I let him drive my M5 while I drove his M3, and while the M3 was fun, the M5 is the car for me, hands down. I modified my M5 with a coilover suspension and track brakes, and short shifter and slightly more aggressive exhaust, and I consider it the perfect blend of daily driver, luxury car, and track car. It holds its own on the track, that's for sure.

After getting out of the M3 and back into the M5, the torque felt like it did on day one - monster! It was great, and I will never give up low-end torque for high end horsepower if the divisions are as clear as they are with these two cars.

·
Registered
205 Posts
KevinM said:
M3: Agile, tossable, wonderful steering feel, lighter feeling clutch. The engine must be revved siginficantly to enjoy the power band, but the shifter makes this a rewarding job.
Kevin: Your description of the M3 reminds me of my E28 M5 (first generation). The engine is high-revving and the car is much lighter than the E39. It's really a very different car, much sportier although not as fast. It's an interesting experience to drive the two cars back to back and reflect on the changes in the M5 between 1988 and 2000.

Mike

·
Registered
947 Posts
i think for day to day driving the M5's power is more useable.....i mean in most situations you need a big empty road to enjoy the acceleration of the M3 as you have to rev it so high......with the m5 most of the pace is available from 2500 rpm, so no need to thrash it!

M3 and M3 CSL were both excellent drives, but only when thrashing about. Everyday use the M5 is far more tractable.

cheers for the words
foxy

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
KevinM said:
Both great cars. For me, the M5 is the choice by far.
Kevin,

Thanks for the writeup!!! :thumbsup: Great stuff!

I did a similar comparison between my '03 M5 and '04 M3. I selected two different roads. The first road was wide with long sweeping turns, good banking, some rises and dips, and great visability. The second had tight corners, variable visability, and off-camber turns (see pic of M5 in sig).

Of course, you can guess which car I like for each type of road. The M5 was not nearly as agile on the second road, and the M3 seemed slow on the first.

However, the M5 on the first road was :eek: , and the M3 on the second road was :wroom: :noSMG:

One of these days, I'll have to take some pictures of both roads and write it all up...

Now, I find myself trying to decide which car to take out depending on what type of roads I'll be on. ??????

Of course, the M5 usually wins out, but sometimes the M3 is just a better drive (on Dutcher Creek Rd. and Stewarts Point Rd. for instance)...

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys guys!

M-Funf, that would be a great write up! I hope you find time to do it at some point.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Kevin,

Great write up and I agree.

But here is the real dilemmer. What happens when/if they put a V-8 in the M3/M4 whatever they decided to call it?

I have owned Many varied V-8's. The main reason I bought the Beast was it is a V-8.

Nothing on the planet sounds as good as a V-8.

V-10, whilst some sound interesting, theres nothing quite like the V-8.

The m3 has always been a good looking car as well, and sporty. Now we can have Looks/handling/sound and Power.

Vs the E60 M5 Butt ugly/average handling/average sound/Nice Power.

It seems to me whilst the New beast will just have Power (Which is a huge draw card) The new Mini Beast may be the better rounded package.

Imagine the sound of a Tubi equipped Beast coming from the looks and style of an M3. mmmmmm Seems hard to beat, with a Butt Ugly, Old mans style, Flame Crap Rocket.

2cents. :M5launch:

·
Registered
131 Posts
..and you can get people in the back!

Beastie5 said:
Both are great cars...sold 2003 M3-6spd for 2003 M5. M5 suits my needs better; more power and class

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a_ok2me said:
Besides the car, I still can't get over how nice a view you have.
Thanks! :) The Catalina mountain range is very beautiful, especially during sunset when they turn a spectacular burnt orange color.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gustav said:
Those mountains are big! Can you go skiing there? :2:
Not in the mountains directly in the picture...Arizona has mild winters, right now it is about 65 degrees. However, there is some winter skiing (of sorts) in the same moutain range (the Catalinas), 45 min north of where I live (Mt. Lemon).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Plus, the M5 is SOOOO much better looking.

Forget for a moment the power, handling, torque etc and just LOOK at both of the cars side by side.

No comparison.

Great color btw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts