BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to post a short comparison concerning two famous cars...

M5: 5.0l; v10; 507hp; 520Nm; NO supercharger; 7-gear-sequential-trans; 101.4 hp/l

E55: 5.5l; v8; 476hp; 700Nm; WITH supercharger; 5-gear-auto-trans; 86.5hp/l

conclusion: the M5's v10 must be a fantastic engine. the e55 has a bigger engine AND a supercharger but "unfortunately" less power... :1:

what is mercedes/amg doing? just ~86hp/l output with supercharger is not a very sophisticated achievement. the new bmw 3l-engine has 258hp (86hp/l), not to mention bmw's m-engines...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Val said:
i think you also forgot that "unfortunately" M5 has 520nm, not 700nm...

but, hey! ill take M5 over two e55's anyday! :cheers:

oh, and this topic has been discussed SSSSOOOOO many times before! ;)
i know but i could not resist to post it again. it is still amazing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is really no comparison! The M5 is in a league of its own, from every aspect whether it’s technical or aesthetical (period)
:flag:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
What is MB/AMG doing? Delivering the product their clients want: a go faster version of their cars with some more aggressive styling + a little more buttoned up suspension. What is M doing? Taking their time to get it right and deliver a car that is unique on to itself- not just a go faster product. Different strokes for different folks. No one approach is the absolute correct one- just have to find what works for you.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
What is MB/AMG doing? Delivering the product their clients want: a go faster version of their cars with some more aggressive styling + a little more buttoned up suspension. What is M doing? Taking their time to get it right and deliver a car that is unique on to itself- not just a go faster product. Different strokes for different folks. No one approach is the absolute correct one- just have to find what works for you.
Am with you here.. and thats true :flag:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok, I am driving a e320 for a loaner right now. If the e55 is anything like the e320, the e55 must SUCK... The trans is total crap. If you red line the car in the gear mode it shifts for you, rather than hold the gear. The is no connection between the road and the driver. Feels like an 80 year old grandpa car. Sure the E55 is going to have more power, but its an old mans car, not a car for a guy who loves driving. Ohh Yah the steering SUCKS on this thing too. I doubt the e55 feels any better...

Just my rant.. E60 M5 or Bust..

9852147 said:

M5: 5.0l; v10; 507hp; 520Nm; NO supercharger; 7-gear-sequential-trans; 101.4 hp/l

conclusion: the M5's v10 must be a fantastic engine. the e55 has a bigger engine AND a supercharger but "unfortunately" less power... :1:

what is mercedes/amg doing? just ~86hp/l output with supercharger is not a very sophisticated achievement. the new bmw 3l-engine has 258hp (86hp/l), not to mention bmw's m-engines...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
9852147 said:

the 476hp the merc has is a marketing number dictated by the then-current competition level. this engine without any mechanical changes is good for north of 550-570hp just with a smaller blower pulley. while the m5 engine has very little left in it and it will be expensive to achieve anyway.

so, different philosophies- different approaches. simpler does not mean worse.

alex
few cars

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
António Duarte said:
Nice point of view... don't have a wife yet :p. When i do i hope she can buy me such nice presents... eheheh :2:
I was not referring to purchases ;) When/ if you're married, you'll understand :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Guys, we must not forget that the M5 is newer than the E55... I'd take a M5 anytime before an E55 so I aint saying this because I support Mercedes :)

THO!: Buy an E55 AMG, get a Stage 3 modification at Kleemann and you'll have a car with 835 nm and 610 horse power!

Specs:

0-100: 4.0 Seconds
0-200: 11.8 Seconds
Engine: 5.5 Litre V8

I spoke to the Kleemann company today, I was questioning them about their engines and performances and stuff, I was told:

We have tested our KLEEMANN E55 K3 fitted with Yokohama A 048 Street slicks, best 0-96,7 kmph was 3,60 secs….

They (Kleemann) also made a C-class AMG into a stunning car with the 0-100 time 3.8 seconds (no street slicks).

**edit**: Btw, Mercedes doesn't have Launch Control... I cant imagine the speed with launch control...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Could we please start moving these threads to the "competitiors to the M5" forum?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You guys know that the numbers quoted by MB are not what that engine produces in the E55..it is NOT detuned compared to the SL55 application. This engine has been dyno'd in E55 apps to show the same power out put at teh Sl55 apps.

So while its still slightly less powerfull than the S65 engine out of the M5, its alot closer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts