BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
So, can anyone translate the highlights from the video? And whose idea was it to test a total of nearly 1,000 hp on what looks alarmingly like a 1/4-mile go-kart track?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saudi_M5 said:
This is in German language, can you please summerzie it in english :2:
Sorry, didnt have time to translate, but this babel fish translation might give an idea...

Motorvision consequence 119 - starting from 10 August, 20,15 o'clock in the DSF 507 HP from Bavaria meet the power duel BMW M5 on 476 HP from Swabia - against Mercedes Benz CLS 55 AMG. Two cars for sporty and above all financially strong family fathers. With woman and child comfortably into the vacation kutschieren or alone in under five seconds on speed 100. In the BMW M5 and in the CLS both functions to 55 AMG perfectly. Test driver Tim Schrick feels the two exception cars on the General German Automobile Association test area in Augsburg on the tooth. Further topics in consequence 119...

·
Registered
457 Posts
MRichmond said:
So, can anyone translate the highlights from the video? And whose idea was it to test a total of nearly 1,000 hp on what looks alarmingly like a 1/4-mile go-kart track?
These are the results of the CLS 55 AMG vs. M5 duel on DSF's Motorvision:

1. "Emotion and Design" (exterior appearance) 1 : 0

The CLS 55 AMG looks like a body-builder dressed in a pinstripe suit, it has got the appearance of a coupe. The M5 looks homely.

2. "Schöner wohnen" (interior looks) 2 : 0

The interior of the CLS 55 AMG is reminiscent of a luxury yacht. The M5's interior looks trite and almost sterile, but the dash is neatly arranged; it is cut out for people that are fond of technique.

3. "Performance" 2 : 1

The ESP of the CLS 55 AMG is always active! The steering gives too less feedback. The M5 has got a perfectly shifting SMG, a world-class suspension with an exact steering and mighty brakes; the M5 is a disguised race car.

4. "Kosten" (costs) 2 : 2

The CLS 55 AMG costs ~12.000,-- € more. Consumption of the M5 is a bit higher (1 l/100km).

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
So in the end we have different strokes for different folks. I have seen several CLS55AMG's in black driving around and they are quite striking.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Did anyone time the 2 around the track? I think its continuous footage, if you listen to the sound it never cuts out, just changes camera views once in a while. Anyways, the M5 did it in about a minute and merc was around minute 5 seconds I think, 5 seconds its quite alot on a 1 minute track. Not surprised how fast the M5 is though, all you hear is rubber squealing the whole time, what a beast.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
An interesting tidbit of information from the pros at AMG Challenge Road America:from Jeff Andretti to Tommy Kendall,they all prefer the E55 to CLS,which in their words is:"way too soft on track vs the E55"

·
Registered
336 Posts
absent said:
An interesting tidbit of information from the pros at AMG Challenge Road America:from Jeff Andretti to Tommy Kendall,they all prefer the E55 to CLS,which in their words is:"way too soft on track vs the E55"
Yeah, I've heard that and it is very interesting. Especially since the CLS has turned in some much better times on the track than the E55 has. I've also heard some owners say there is a big difference between the cars and others say it's not so great. I'll find out on Tues. and Wed. as i'll be at the AMG challenge at Lime Rock. Looking forward to seeing how the CLS drives. Wouldn't even think of trading my E55 for one as I just can't get used to the looks of it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can't compare the CLS55 to the E55, but can tell you that adjusting suspension to two red bars on my CLS55 is surprisingly comfortable...meaning it is not too harsh at speed on mountain roads in North Carolina and I'm not surprised they think it is soft...but is is fast as spit! The car is more beautifully executed inside compared to the E55 and makes the M5 look like they forgot to dress it up before letting it out of the house. The CLS55 is drop dead gorgeous in black, but still a radical design. Let us know what you think compared to the E55.

E55AMG said:
Yeah, I've heard that and it is very interesting. Especially since the CLS has turned in some much better times on the track than the E55 has. I've also heard some owners say there is a big difference between the cars and others say it's not so great. I'll find out on Tues. and Wed. as i'll be at the AMG challenge at Lime Rock. Looking forward to seeing how the CLS drives. Wouldn't even think of trading my E55 for one as I just can't get used to the looks of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have actually raced with cls 55 amg. i put my car on s500 mode first gear i was on front the when my car shifted to second gear my car front bumper was by the his driver door, but when i shifted third I was going going and gone he didn’t even have a chance. The only reason that he was on front by second gear is because of the M5 shifting lag between first and second gear. I asked him again to race because I wanted to put my car on s600 mode but he refused because he has driven the beast before and he knows what it could do to his merc. I am sure if he raced me again in S600 mode I will be in front all the way.

p.s I am still trying to get him to race again so if I did I will update you guys

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe he is taking driving lessions for the next time.

bigd m5 said:
I have actually raced with cls 55 amg. i put my car on s500 mode first gear i was on front the when my car shifted to second gear my car front bumper was by the his driver door, but when i shifted third I was going going and gone he didn’t even have a chance. The only reason that he was on front by second gear is because of the M5 shifting lag between first and second gear. I asked him again to race because I wanted to put my car on s600 mode but he refused because he has driven the beast before and he knows what it could do to his merc. I am sure if he raced me again in S600 mode I will be in front all the way.

p.s I am still trying to get him to race again so if I did I will update you guys

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
E55AMG said:
At Road America the CLS was about 5sec slower then the E55.(same driver)

·
Registered
336 Posts
absent said:
At Road America the CLS was about 5sec slower then the E55.(same driver)
That's amazing when I've heard so much about how the CLS was faster (much) than the E55 around the test track. BTW, I'm cte430 on Mbworld

1 - 20 of 25 Posts