BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 737 catch the M5, and if so, at what speed would it overtake it? This is assuming on the runway only of course. Is there a commercial plane that could beat it to say 200mph?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dont think commercial planes hit 200mph on the runway.
More like 130mph I believe. Even though no commerial airline waits
till the end of the runway to take off. An M5 should easily hit this a good bit before the
end of an average runway. I'm not totally sure, but I'm sure someone
that knows will chime in.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
An M5 would annihilate a 737 to 130mph, that's for sure.

The key factor here is that it's thrust against torque/horsepower.

Thrust is a constant push forward no matter how slow or fast an object is already moving. It's like gravity.

While for the M5, as you shift into the higher gear, you are trying to crank a higher gear ratio, and it's harder.

So, initially, the M5 will absolutely kill the plane because it's torque multiplication in the lower gears will make it pull extremely hard. For the plane, there is no such multiplication...

Reactions: khyber

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Oh boy Jonnyboy! You are so off the plot here I don't even know where to start! LOL

Reactions: shezmon

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree that the M5 should completely kill the 737 on the runway.

I believe the way a typical Turbo-fan engine works (like the 737) is that initially it can only get the air into it that the fans can force in (alot of the air coming into the engine blows around the combustion area for cooling) So thrust is relatively low. As the aircraft gains speed, however, more and more air is forced into the engine at higher and higher velocity, so it can produce more and more thrust. As was stated before, the aircraft will rotate and begin to take off around 140MPH.

So basically, most of the M5's acceleration happens at the beginning of the race, and most of the 737s takeoff acceleration (while on the ground) happens at the point where it's leaving the runway, but still increasing at an exponential rate. The aircraft has much more acceleration capability while flying at nominal speed than it does while taking off.

I suspect that if you ran both vehicles on the salt flat where there is plenty of space, the M5 would shoot out in front of the aircraft at the beginning, but the 737 would overtake the M5 before the M5 got to 200MPH since the M5's acceleration rate is continually decreasing whereas the 737's is continually increasing.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The question is, can the Boeing 737 maintain a stable forward ground momentum at 200mph?

·
Registered
759 Posts
The question is, can the Boeing 737 maintain a stable forward ground momentum at 200mph?
no the plane need to take off at certain point ( rotating point ) ! i doubt it cant do 200mph on the ground.

Reactions: Ahmed

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Look at how much the old Jag beat the fighter plane by. He called out "120mph" and he was probably 100+ feet ahead of the jet.

A 737's thrust to weight ratio pales in comparison to the fighter jet...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the 737 needs about 175-178 mph to get enough lift to take off. Also depends on the headwind, but all ties into the amout of lift under the airfoil. Not even a close race in my opinion. The M5 driver would already be back in the hangar celebrating by the time the 737 had wheels up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.