·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Nice article, but i think the decision was made by an old guy :hihi:

im test driving the Alpina at the end of the month, should be interesting!

all the best
adam

·
Registered
271 Posts
Adam said:
Nice article, but i think the decision was made by an old guy :hihi:

im test driving the Alpina at the end of the month, should be interesting!

all the best
adam
Having driven them both now - it's chalk and cheese. We all know what I am going to say but the B5 is effortlessly fast, comfortable, great-sounding, more economic, smooth etc. But then so is a E55 - albeit B5 much better than the Merc as it can go round corners to a degree. The M5 is much much more raw, harder riding, needs to be driven hard to get the most out of it (i.e. keep it revving high, unlike the B5 which does literally pull from any gear at pretty much any rev) but I think it is much more fun. I want to use a 7 speed paddle box, I want to scream at 8,000 rpm, I want to have a hard ride which means I can throw the car around corners with abandon (the review did say the B5 was uneasy on some bends). I could see myself getting bored with the B5 - or wanting to get an E63 AMG or whatever when it arrives. I can't see myself getting bored with the M5 - it needs proper driver involvement to bring the best of it but that's half the fun (for me) :wroom:

·
Registered
476 Posts
For having tested the B5 last week, I can only concur with Virage1.
I have made a write up and posted pics on my site , HERE .

It's in French, sorry for that, but in essence , what I'm saying is that the car is super fast, super well rounded, but... does not provide a lot of sensations at the end of the day. Much less than my B3s ofr by B7 turbo, which both have a firm handling, a beautiful noise, and are so strong in high revs.
On the B5, you don't hear anything from the inside, and the revs are limited to 6000 rpm , even in manual mode.
The car is very goog for everyday commuting (better than an M5) but then so is a 535D or even a 545i, worth € 25,000 less.
His only asset is the pleasure you can have in pulling away on a blip, unlike the M5 where you will need to tune the engine, the gearbox and the suspensions beforehand.
So the B5 is a perfect car, so effortless with devastating performance, that you actually do not feel like a sports car driver. And that's what is missing. Strange to realize (including for myself) but the manner the performance is achieved is more important for the driving pleasure, than the performance itself.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Agreed on all of this, which is why I'd buy a B5 and a Lotus Exige 240R, which, let's face it, would put an even bigger grin across your face than an M5 or M6 (and would thrash either cross-country or on the track)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Why an Exige??? With a B5 as tow car you might as well grab a 340R.....

hythe said:
Agreed on all of this, which is why I'd buy a B5 and a Lotus Exige 240R, which, let's face it, would put an even bigger grin across your face than an M5 or M6 (and would thrash either cross-country or on the track)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Stevie said:
Why an Exige??? With a B5 as tow car you might as well grab a 340R.....
Simple, it's probably quicker!

I also still miss my lovely little Mk.1 Exige

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I guess its all to the taste of each person.. but the rareness of alpinas is a big thing too.. although with the gas price rising over 1.30e 95E a diesel is looking more and more interesting.. have a 535d and a Exige ;)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Stevie said:
OK, all I can say to that is halleluyah!!!! :wroom: What wil come first: Exige or Lucie?
Eh???

I had the Exige in 2001, replaced that with Rommel and then added Lucie in 2002.

Looking forward, most of my cash is likely to go on property and the like over the next couple of years, rather than further cars, but if the spare cash happens to be there, once I've upgraded my wife's car to something slightly bigger then I'd be looking at a new Exige/Caterham/Noble/TVR/Porsche...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
m5 rus said:
I take M5..straightline you really think B5 is faaster then M5 with launch control...

Adam test B5 against M5 and tell us the truth pls... :cheers:
How often are you really going to use launch control? Every day? At every traffic light?

Launch control's only any good from a standing start, in any case - what about when you see a gap and just need to hoof it?

These are both great cars, but the M5 doesn't fit my needs:

1) Touring bodyshell
2) Key in my hand sometime before 2010...
3) Half-way sensible fuel economy/range
4) Relaxing to drive on the daily commute (110 miles a day, mainly on the M'way and in London)

For my particular circumstances, the B5 is the better day-to-day solution, then I'll get myself a weekend car to play with on the country roads. The only question is, what am I still doing with the 840... just can't bear to part with the old tank, I guess...

·
Registered
476 Posts
And even if it is...Alpina fans will remain fans, so will be the M5 fans... I don't think that absolute figures will play a big role in the decision making process of each camp (I mean, effective buyers, not people who dream about it).

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Sherlock said:
And even if it is...Alpina fans will remain fans, so will be the M5 fans... I don't think that absolute figures will play a big role in the decision making process of each camp (I mean, effective buyers, not people who dream about it).
You say that, and yet...

Here in the UK, it seems that a number of people have cancelled orders for M5s (for delivery in 2006 or 2007) and ordered a B5 for late-2005 delivery instead.

·
Registered
271 Posts
hythe said:
You say that, and yet...

Here in the UK, it seems that a number of people have cancelled orders for M5s (for delivery in 2006 or 2007) and ordered a B5 for late-2005 delivery instead.
This is true - but only for a small proportion of folks, i.e. in the main, people who were on any Sytner dealership M5 list who obviously control Alpina in the UK. With "normal" BMW dealers I would be very surprised if there were more than a handful switching due to a general lack of knowledge and accessibility.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
every body has their own version but it has already been proved the b5 made the m5 look silly on every aspect. so what do you want comfort and speed or hard ride and not as fast as the b5 the choice is that simple. m5 owners go and buy your new m5, alpina guys know what they want. :noSMG: :noSMG: :noSMG: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts