BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone on this board, with a jet black or carbon balck M5 try to take on a black 993tt last night on the 101 Freeway near Westlake Village?

If so, I'm not surprised to see you haven't posted the results yet. The M5 is a nice car but there is no way it will keep up with a TT.

Just so you guys know, I also own a Titanium Silver E39 M5 as well and I love it but every car has it's limits.

Anyways, I'm a little short on time so if it was anyone on this board I'll let you tell the story if not and you guys are still interested then I'll post what happened a little later on.

Take care,

Amir

·
Registered
114 Posts
The TT is known to be the king of motorways for years. Same for the new 996 TT.
Only Lambos could follow, but Ferraris and all others should better not try.

I've tested a 993 TT modified to 460 HP and i can assure it's a serious blast, though I find my M5 much better for an everyday use.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, not all Ferraris are that bad, the F40 and F50 can eat the 993/996 TT for lunch on the highway anytime..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well that is right in most cases, but you should see what some of us do over here.

As you all know (I think) that I work in my grandfather's company-Motor Car Department.

Me and my friends and fellow employees like to test drive and race cars, and in most it depends on the driver not the car.

The M5 is an excellent all round car (performance/space etc), but it is not wise to go and challenge an Exotic with it.
Because in most cases you will make a fool out of yourself and I've seen it happen.
Same goes for the E55/S8 etc.

But by the way they are excellent company cars.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No I mean he has a big company and I work in one of the departments in that company.

And you wouldn't believe the advantages I have working here for my grandfather.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I own a '96 911 TT and a '00 M5, there is no doubt which one is faster. If I am driving the M5 and see a 911TT I know to let him go by, because I sure am not going to catch him!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would challenge the Porsche just to hear it at full throttle--even if you know you would lose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I owned a 97 TT modified with the BBR program (450+ HP) and somehow only drove it on weekends. It was just too competent a car to be very much fun driving under normal conditions. Now if it only had rear wheel drive like the upcoming GT2... I find the M5 a lot more fun to drive every day. It is a real sleeper. Even with the Hamann exhaust and the Dinan programming, it just doesn't sound good. The exhaust was a waste of $2K. My chiripractor says I'm doing a lot better now that I don't drive the TT.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Will own a 993TT one day...need to get that one out of my system...I love those cars.

996TT definitely does not do it for me.

Alps

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
this comparison is silly.

the tts might be faster/ better sports cars, but the m5 will take you and your buddies and their luggage in relative comfort while giving you 8-9/10s of the porsches speed abilities and perhaps similar ability to grip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts