BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced a 911 turbo the other night from a twenty mile an hour role. I pulled him in first and then through second. By that time he was about on my fuel tank. We then hit third and at about 80 he began to close the gap. When I hit fourth, he started to take the lead to about 3 car lengths by about 140 miles an hour. It is amazing how fast those turbos are up top. I can keep up with them from light to light in the city and maybe pull them down low, but it is a completely different story on the highway. I would not mess with a turbo on the highway. I was impressed with my car up to 100 but after that I developed a complete respect for the 911 Turbo.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
911 Urbos are very fast. Both from stand still thanks to 4WD and at higher speeds as well. Also they can be chipped very easily, so dont be too dissappointed, it could have been chipped with 500+ HP.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yup - as an owner of both, I can tell you the ONLY time an M5 will get a jump on the 996TT is a "roll-on" start from low RPM - the instant throttle response of the M5 will be an advantage over the lower pre-boost torque of the Porsche. But not for long. (This guy probably didn't bother to downshift when he should have, either.) In any real world setting the 996TT walks away from the M5.

Click here for my M5/996TT comparo article

My 996TT has been for sale at a local dealer for 4 months - hasn't moved. AAAaaaarggghhhhh - they can be had SO CHEAP right now! But I need the $$ out of it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Because you started from a roll, that took out any mistakes that either of you could have made when launching. I would have thought the Turbo would pull on you from any speed. So much of it comes down to the driver, he may not of been hitting his shifts like you. Remember, a lesser car with a greater driver can beat a greater car with a poor driver.

Travis

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
greg,

Wouldn't you think that from a 30 mph role, like apk1013 stated, the Turbo's RPM's would already be up in boost range? I wouldn't think there would be much of a turbo lag in this situation, or would there be?

Travis

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
M5Kid said:
greg,

Wouldn't you think that from a 30 mph role, like apk1013 stated, the Turbo's RPM's would already be up in boost range? I wouldn't think there would be much of a turbo lag in this situation, or would there be?

Travis
Turbo lag isn't a function of RPM as much as it is of throttle position. If your foot isn't in it, the turbo isn't boosting (and is spinning down.) With that said, it takes longer to get boost from lower RPM - AND acceleration is lower with each higher gear. So what really matters is what gear he was in.

At 30MPH, the Porsche would be @ ~5400RPM in 1st, 2800RPM in 2nd, 1900RPM in 3rd. If he were in 1st he would not have lost much if any. In 2nd I would expect him to regain any loss quickly. In 3rd, the M5 in 2nd would gain a considerable lead.

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
greg said:
My 996TT has been for sale at a local dealer for 4 months - hasn't moved. AAAaaaarggghhhhh - they can be had SO CHEAP right now! But I need the $$ out of it.
Greg,

Why are you selling the turbo?

Chuck

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
apk1013 said:
I pulled him in first and then through second. By that time he was about on my fuel tank. We then hit third and at about 80 he began to close the gap. I was impressed with my car up to 100 but after that I developed a complete respect for the 911 Turbo.
I've owned both cars. I now have an 04 tt cab. My e39 m5 was the 'nicest' car I've ever owned. That said, there's no way you could roll with a tt if he was trying.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We went from a 20 mile an hour role, and he told me that he had to shift out of first by about thirty. This allowed me to jump him down low, and I was on my stock rims with nitto drag radials.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I can tell you that though my M5 has been the best all around car that I have had - Awesome - it does not keep up with a 996 TT. My 996 TT is an entirely different car, and SHOULD accelerate faster. All you have to do is go test drive a 996 TT, and then get back in your M5 and you will feel like you are driving on a plush couch (It feels a lot bigger!)

Two totally different vehicles. I would add that the 996TT's interior is nowhere near as nice & polished as that of the M5. It does spool up quickly though, and a "High tech" push propels you very quickly!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love the Turbo. I hope to one day own one, but I am just telling you what happened. We did the race three times. Twice on the Highway and once a long straight road and everytime it was the same. I pulled down low, he caught me by 100, and then he pulled off of me by about 3 cars to 145.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had raced a TT with my modded M5, cams and headers, and let me tell you the only way I was able to stop that car from going away was to start the race from mid of third gear. I am surprised that you managed to get get him in the lower gears but lost badly in the higher ones.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
H K said:
I had raced a TT with my modded M5, cams and headers, and let me tell you the only way I was able to stop that car from going away was to start the race from mid of third gear. I am surprised that you managed to get get him in the lower gears but lost badly in the higher ones.
Maybe he was not shifting well, but I should not be blamed for this. We did the race three times.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Christ-give the guy a break. All he did was post about a little race and you guys are beatin' him up.

As my old man used to say, there is ALWAYS someone bigger, smarter and faster than you, but rarely all three.

KCD
cherrsagai

·
Registered
881 Posts
apk1013 said:
Maybe he was not shifting well, but I should not be blamed for this. We did the race three times.
Look at any reputable magazine's times for the E39 M5 and 996 TT; there is NO way that even an adequately driven 996 TT will allow you to 'pull away until 100 mph'. Perhaps your friend needs more time with his car to explore its limits?
Like many here I've owned both and driven both 'hard' at DE events, etc. The 996 TT is a much faster car, (and the E39 M5 is no slouch!).

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think he's a troll...

He's also claiming to have beaten a CL55 Kompressor, a car which Motor Trend tested at a 12.38 @ 115. :rolleyes: I'm sure Vipers are next, lol!!

thebishman said:
Look at any reputable magazine's times for the E39 M5 and 996 TT; there is NO way that even an adequately driven 996 TT will allow you to 'pull away until 100 mph'. Perhaps your friend needs more time with his car to explore its limits?
Like many here I've owned both and driven both 'hard' at DE events, etc. The 996 TT is a much faster car, (and the E39 M5 is no slouch!).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts