BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the beast over 5 years old I've been thinking about replacements. I had an opportunity to test drive a 2004 Porsche Carrera and have the following observations:

1. The steering on the 911 is much more direct. Point it and you go

2. The brakes on the 911 are much more dominant. Step on it and you stop.

3. Having said that, I find that the M5 has much more bottom end grunt. The 911 has to be more in the upper rev band to get the performance out of it.

4. The 911 is much more demanding. While there are times the M5 may coddle you, the 911 doesn't give you that choice. Pay attention, stay uncomfortable and you'll have your performance. The M5 gives your more performance without all the hoopla.

Result - the 911 is not the replacement for the M5.

The search continues. In the meantime I must say that after five years and four months, it still is the best!

·
Registered
58 Posts
totally agree. i am a definite porsche fan, but after driving each, it was an easy decision to buy a m5. however, my next purchase is going to be a 911tt . . .

bryon :cheers:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I may have the best of both worlds.

They are very much different, but both are totaly awesome. As to the lack of low end Porsche power..... get the supercharger, now you are talking!!! There is nothing like it. Easy to drive and all of the power, handleing, and speed you could want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can vouch for this.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
So Cal M5 said:
Apples and oranges. Keep your M5 and add the 911.
I totally agree. I think the 911 compliments the M5, not replaces it.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
mr_bock said:
I may have the best of both worlds.

They are very much different, but both are totaly awesome. As to the lack of low end Porsche power..... get the supercharger, now you are talking!!! There is nothing like it. Easy to drive and all of the power, handleing, and speed you could want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can vouch for this.
Why not just get the TT? You can pick one up now for around 70k

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Silverstreak said:
3. Having said that, I find that the M5 has much more bottom end grunt. The 911 has to be more in the upper rev band to get the performance out of it.
EXACTLY!

And when you try to get a good launch from a standstill, You have to rev up pretty good and DROP THE CLUTCH! Causing massive wheel hop!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Silverstreak said:
With the beast over 5 years old I've been thinking about replacements. I had an opportunity to test drive a 2004 Porsche Carrera and have the following observations:

1. The steering on the 911 is much more direct. Point it and you go

2. The brakes on the 911 are much more dominant. Step on it and you stop.

4. The 911 is much more demanding. While there are times the M5 may coddle you, the 911 doesn't give you that choice. Pay attention, stay uncomfortable and you'll have your performance. The M5 gives your more performance without all the hoopla.

Result - the 911 is not the replacement for the M5.

The search continues. In the meantime I must say that after five years and four months, it still is the best!
Very interesting. This is one of the reasons i bought the M5. Its rare to be able to take a car to 7000, especially in London, and especially with 400hp on tap!!! - the low end grunt means you can enjoy the thrill of the ballsy acceleration without the risk of acting 'irresponsibly'.

911 was on my list of possibles, mainly as i use my M5 at w/e's only, so thought maybe something more exotic would be better for this purpose.

Upgrade the brakes on the M5 and you've eliminated one of the + points the 911 has over the m5!

cheers

·
Banned
300 Posts
terk said:
I totally agree. I think the 911 compliments the M5, not replaces it.
I agree as well :cheers: ....they are for two different applications.....mainly if

you need the power and 4 door cargo space (bulky and less agile)... the M5

sedan is the choice.....if you need a true sports car with shear power and

handling designed from racing heritage (little cargo space, 1000pds lighter and

a good weekend car)....the Porsche is the choice....but in my opinion the

Carrera is for women due to its horsepower rating....only stick with the Twin

Turbo 1996-1998 (993) or Single Turbo 91-94 (965)........if you want a newer

one wait for the 997 Turbo coming soon as the 996 series has a Chris Bangle

edge to it...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I went from 00 911 Carrera 4 to the 03 M5.

I agree on all your points listed. 911 has better steering with more heft and more feedback. And the brakes are phenomenal. The brake pedal is hard as granite, super responsive and effective. It feels awesome. M5 stops just as quickly but without the nice feel. Too much pedal travel, too soft.

But the M5 looks better. Much more aggressive. And has more luxuries, more practicality, and a more delicious engine.

I also like the softer suspension setup. Not only better for comfort, but also better in terms of progression. It has more feedback and breaks away more slowly, letting you drive harder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts