BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to let you know that in tomorrows autobild issue the m5 will be tested against the porsche 911 carrera s. btw it is the cover story...

some thoughts about that:
both have nearly the same price (~85k eur) but 507 vs 355hp, 5ltr v10 vs 3.8ltr b6, ~1830kg vs ~1500kg, 7speed smg vs 6speed manual, 5 seats vs 2 seats and so on...

c u tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
That will be a tough one - R&T just did a corvette vs 911s comparison and the 911 won almost every category. The M5 will have a tough job beating it in the handling category.

In the performance category, I predict the M5 will win the acelleration, 911 wins the slalom, skidpad and braking. In the subjective ratings, the M5 wins the engine and gearbox, 911 wins, steering and brakes. M5 wins ride, seats, luggage, 911 wins handling, styling, ergonomics.

Bottom line, if you want a pure drivers car, get the 911. If you want the closest thing with 4 doors, get the M5.

·
Registered
764 Posts
9852147 said:
Just want to let you know that in tomorrows autobild issue the m5 will be tested against the porsche 911 carrera s. btw it is the cover story...

some thoughts about that:
both have nearly the same price (~85k eur) but 507 vs 355hp, 5ltr v10 vs 3.8ltr b6, ~1830kg vs ~1500kg, 7speed smg vs 6speed manual, 5 seats vs 2 seats and so on...

c u tomorrow...
I'm praying that you can scan the article and post it on the Board. I'm awaiting Jan. production of my 911S...... cherrsagai

·
Registered
268 Posts
The M5 lost 10 points to the 997 because of higher petrol use. If you don't care about this the M5 actually beats the 997 with 3 points. The best driving machine seems to be the M5. Not really a surprise considering better performance figures and the fact that BMW still makes very good chassis for their cars. I still feel that a comparison between the two quite different cars isn't really very relevant, and it's probably also hard to compare them.

Edit: The M5 also lost 5 points to the 997 because its top speed is limited to 250 km/h. We all know that most limited German cars can easily be delimited.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Wow - that's impressive! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
max_m5 said:
If you don't look at the Cost-Chapter, the M5 has CLEARLY WON!
The M5 doesn't stand a chance against the Carrera S on mountain-roads or handling-tracks and the M5 outruns the Carrera S on the Autobahn or racing-tracks with long straights like Hockenheimring.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
The M5 doesn't stand a chance against the Carrera S on mountain-roads or handling-tracks and the M5 outruns the Carrera S on the Autobahn or racing-tracks with long straights like Hockenheimring.
911 -11 pts = M5 Won in Points

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the scan autobahnraser.

and you are right, these are two completely different cars but with the same price which makes them comparable in some way...

in points the porsche wins with 244 to 237 for the m5, but the m5 lost 10 points for its higher fuel consumption (17,8l / 100km), 7 points for the brakes (m5: 36,4m for 100-0 / 911: 34,5m), 5 points for the vmax and so on...

all in all the m5 has more power, is more comfy, not as loud as the 911 at high speeds while the porsche is a bit more fun to drive and you feel the speed in the 911 better than in the m5. in my eyes there is no clear winner, each car attracts to a certain clientel.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
They seem to have tested the cars on a race track.

However, the test scores doesn't include the word "handlichkeit", but only things related to acceleration, speed, breaking power, comfort, gearbox (997 won, 18 vs. 19 of 20 points possible), sound and cost. Weight and wheelbase will off course play a part when it comes to narrow corners.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
How many points did the Porsche lose for only having 40% of the passenger and luggage capacity?

It's an amazing testimony to the engineers at M for making a four door, five passenger luxry sedan that is able to virtually equal a high-end dedicated sports car in the heart of its element.

Tom

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
13,5 s to 200 km/h!:flag:

Impressive, very impressive. I guess my prediction was wrong, but missing so many points for fuel and top-speed makes the m5 a winner of the test in my view anyway kinggf

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bernhtp said:
How many points did the Porsche lose for only having 40% of the passenger and luggage capacity?

It's an amazing testimony to the engineers at M for making a four door, five passenger luxry sedan that is able to virtually equal a high-end dedicated sports car in the heart of its element.

Tom
and it is even more amazing if you think about the price to power relation...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts